is adv science able to get a high-salary job? (1 Viewer)

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
If this still remains an overriding decision-making issue, then it brings the point of discussion back to the initial comment about passion.. how much of this is really about passion?
Is there even any existing career overwhelmed with passion these days??

HSC
Deltan said:
Graphic design i guess. Maybe proffessional athletes?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Deltan said:
In my experience, veterinary science students generally choose their careers out of real passion. And this follows through to seasoned vets who continue to feel passionate about what they do.

Music or any other creative arts area also.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Mathematics/Statistics is probably one field where you can end up with a "high salary" job.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
RogueAcademic said:
1) How much do you mean by 'real income'?
According to several German and Swedish exchange students in our lab at the moment, they get a scholarship similar to a salary of an RA at their home country. I am not sure of the exact amount. Now our APA is no where near a salary of an RA here, which is currently about 49-50K for a first year RA, even after tax it is still higher than the current rate for APA.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Survivor39 said:
According to several German and Swedish exchange students in our lab at the moment, they get a scholarship similar to a salary of an RA at their home country. I am not sure of the exact amount. Now our APA is no where near a salary of an RA here, which is currently about 49-50K for a first year RA, even after tax it is still higher than the current rate for APA.
It comes down to the difference between governments and how much they want to support and develop the R&D sector of their respective countries and as I said, the Australian government is notorious for not supporting its scientists.

I'm not familiar with the tax system in the European countries but are you saying the PhD students there receive tax-free stipends equivalent to a salaried and taxed RA, meaning the PhD students will come out financially better than the RA because they are not taxed?

Further, I would argue there are other factors such as differences in standard of living that need to be brought into the discussion if talking about differences in scholarship amount.

I personally think that PhD students are students, they require supervision and guidance as they progress through the three or four years of research (forgetting for a moment that some scrupulous supervisors use their PhD students as if they were RAs), notwithstanding they have a personal long term stake in their undertakings and will graduate with a PhD at the end of 3-4 years. The current average stipend of approximately $20k is a bare minimum, the ideal amount I think should be around $25k tax-free. As I described above, the PhD student has the potential to earn a further $4k p.a. on top of that. If a potential applicant still considers these conditions to be a major part of the deal-breaker, I would be questioning other aspects of the applicant's real motivation and commitment, amongst other things.

kitkatCEO

HSC
N/A
I wasnt expecting to have these many comments...thx guyz!

I'm still not sure what to study in uni.... >_< is there any course that secures a stable n' high salary job?? I choosed adv science becoz I dunno whatelse to do besides science... I hav a UAI of 95.6 ...

In fact, I wanted to do pharm in USYD...but as u noe...itz too competitive n' I didn sit for STAT!

can u guyz giv me any ideas.......???

For commerce... itz almost every single of my friends are doing com...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Can you clarify what is a "high salary job"?? We can't really help because there is no standard for what a "high salary job" is. How much p.a. is high?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Do Commerce/Science if you're that worried lol, your UAI might just be enough to get you into it....

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
kitkatCEO, sounds like you need to take a year off and travel a bit, get a bit of life experience into you, maybe even get a part time job somewhere and see what it feels like to earn a living away from home. Maybe after that you might have a better idea what you want to do.

Just out of interest, what do your parents do?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
kitkatCEO said:
i think about 100,000 or above p.a is high........ =_=

is biomedical engineerin a good course to do?!
Ok.. to get $100,000 in science you need to be an Associate Professor or Professor at a university. This may take you may be 20 years if you are good.

A Professor gets about $135,000 a year.
An Associate Professor gets about $115,000 to $118,000 a year

But seriously, I don't think you have a clear idea of what you want to do. Take RogueAcademic's advice or do a combined science/engineering or Science/commerce degree and hope that will help you decide what you want to do.

If money is the main issue and you still want to pursue science, then, like I've said, it's going to take you about 20 years to get to the figure you are after. At least it is not impossible :)

xoa

HSC
Our government and business leaders often claim there's a shortage of science graduates, but it's not true. Our stone-age economy has little use for scientific knowledge. Unemployment rates are high for graduates in most strands. Already too many science graduates are "employed" to deliver pizzas or stack shelves.

If after many years of study you're lucky enough to find work as a scientist, you'll be disappointed with your salary. You'll be a bitter 45 year old, managed by a young commerce graduate on double your income.

sev90

HSC
it all depends on what kind of science major you do/.

eg.. i study pharmaceutical sciences and i have sooooooo many career options...

differerent jobs have diff payments..

eg. analytical chemist will get paid more than an hospital scientist for example.. it all depends

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Maths and Stats ftw

piitb

HSC
the stats lecturer is driving around in a honda civic ftw

HSC
"At the same time that a mining industry desperate for the expertise of geologists has allowed some graduates to push their starting salaries beyond $100,000, university geology departments are cutting staff and subjects or closing altogether."

then again... that was back in 06 in the SMH

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)