is adv science able to get a high-salary job? (1 Viewer)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Graney said:
Given the condescending tone
Condescending wasn't the intention, it was more because it helped explain where you're coming from.

Graney said:
I tried to ring that victorian guy above, to ask what qualifications are necessary to get that job, but forgot it's Sunday lol.
Don't be disappointed if he/she doesn't give you an on-the-spot answer to a 'what if' question. They are likely to give you a very broad response encompassing any and all 'equal opportunity' applicants.

Graney said:
Do you really think all ~370 job ads, on seek.com.au alone, among which few would pay much under $70'000, would go mostly to phd qualified individuals? Lets extrapolate this further and assume among all job ads nationwide, and including the pool of unadvertised jobs, there are closer to 1000 vacancies for individuals with environmental science or related background.
Of course, not all those jobs would be for PhD graduates, for example I've explained that one of the jobs you posted above could possibly be suitable for an honours graduate with experience. But you did ask me for evidence and I gave it plain and simple, that doesn't mean I'm going to analyse 370 job ads from seek.com.au for you.

Graney said:
How many phd's are they handing out these days? How many dr. environmental science even exist in this country? 1000? 5000? 10'000? Because there are certainly plenty of jobs paying $70'000+
I've also explained that some of these jobs are open to graduates from other disciplines too. You might be competing for the same job with, for example, a biological chemistry graduate, or an environmental engineer, or a marine biologist, amongst others.

Graney said:
Yes, of course. You're not going to be offered 100'000 with no work experience, in any field.
Certainly not with just 'a few years experience' either.

Last edited:

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Here's another one, have a look at this job:

Careers with Victorian Government Australia: Current Vacancies

Another decent job, salary range from about $72k-$87k. Download the pdf job description, look under the heading "Desirable Qualifications". No mention of any specific level of tertiary qualifications again, right?

You can see this job is classified "Science Grade C". Go back to that VPS document you downloaded from the EPA website yesterday and look up the same TABLE 4, page 93. Science Grade C positions are VPSG5 jobs, goes without saying that's a step higher than a VPSG4 job I showed you yesterday. Look at the position description in the VPSG5 column. Honours graduate with just a few years experience? Looking under that column, a PhD post-doc would have to work hard to lay claim to a CV that shows:

"A manager of a scientific organisational unit (usually multi-disciplinary) or scientific manager of large projects"

"Is developing a national reputation amongst peers in the same field of science."

"Actively mentors less experienced staff and peers within the area of expertise"

"Leads the development of new areas of work"

"May be invited to speak at national conferences"

"Makes a continuing impact within their field of expertise through the discovery and communication of new knowledge"​

Joel8945

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Can you clarify what is a "high salary job"?? We can't really help because there is no standard for what a "high salary job" is. How much p.a. is high?
You guys know what this person means. I'm sick of people like me and this person who put up this thread, being twirled around in mind games by people like you. He is wanting to know if doing science will actually have ANY benefits! I know exactly what he is meaning because I am on the same boat. I know engineering pays way better than science but on the other hand I really enjoy my sciences. In one manner I'm starting to think that I was cursed not wanting to do medicine, law or commerce as these jobs pay well. Maybe I should just throw science away and do engineering because its depressing seeing how bad a career in science is. Plus I reckon I'll enjoy engineering.

Joel8945

HSC
Miss Winey said:
If you're interested in science.
but have a mind for logical reasoning, creativity, spatial thinking and problem solving.
why not try engineering?
It's heaps of fun! and you will get a high paying job at the end of it

http://www.apesma.asn.au/newsviews/misc/media/2008/engineering_graduates_off_to_good_start_10_11_08.pdf
Now this is a good response. Thanks! I have been thinking as whether I should do engineering or science. Parts of engineering that interest me are: chemical (love chemistry), mechanical (enjoyed the mathematical problems relating to mechanics in physics), Bioengineering, electronic engineering I'm not sure of! When studying electronics in physics it was the hardest part of physics to understand the theory of. Although some things we looked at were very interesting. i.e. a magnetic field can induce a current.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Some science-ish pathways which can lead to high incomes:

- Medicine/Dentistry (if you have a biomedical science bent)

- Engineering (if you dig applied physical sciences)

- Actuarial science / Statistics / Computational physics etc... (if employed in the right corporate sector)

- If you want to sell your soul: I've heard of a couple individuals with pharmacology/microbiology backgrounds being offered generous salary packages to do military research in the US.

- Anything combined with good ideas and an entrepreneurial edge

- Anything if you have the brilliance required to achieve high level academic positions

sev90

HSC
guys seriously,, not all high salary jobs require a phd ... eg.. once you have entered an associate role in a pharmaceutical company ,, it is quite simple to make your way along to higher positions. if youre good at your job you dont need a phd to get you a good salary.. Its actually experience

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)