Is anyone doing or have done anything on spartan religion and festivals? (1 Viewer)

Soccer Kid

HSC
I need quotes by Herodotus and Pausanias :) does anyone have any useful sites ?

hanangorous

HSC
Spartan religion is not that hard.. there's loads on it!! Herodotus has a million quotes, all of which can either be found on the net or in Antiquity 3. Why do you need quotes from Pausonias? Plutarch, Herodotus, Thucydides are the main ancient sources.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Don't neglect your modern scholars either! loll

If you want some excellent quotes and information - well I completed the 2007 Ancient History HSC exam, and it did involve a question on Spartan religion/religious festivals. So I'm largely confident in my notes on the topic :D What I can say is, well, there are your typical average quotes, unremarkable in every sense and excessively overused by the majority of ancient history HSC students - and then, there's the type of citation that makes your HSC examiner want to orgasm.

In any case, I wish all you ancient history kiddos luck - Pompeii is still a relatively new topic, so look to the sections of the syllabus not yet covered by previous HSC exams - I doubt they would try to cover syllabus points already covered, but it is possible, so be wary of that also! and yeps - good luck for the HSC! (The exam will be alot easier than you think LOL) :)

suzy11

HSC
Hi!

Im doing a similar question on the Hyakinthia and Gymnopaedia festivals and i was wondering if i could get some input? I have to describe the fesitivals "significance to Spartan social and cultural life."

ive done some research and from what i can tell the H. festival relates to:mourning for the dead + thanksgiving for life

G. festival relates to:
intiation for soldiers (part of agoge)
dances tested endurance, determination t/4 reinforced importance of the warrior code
thanking the gods for military sucess

if anyone could add to this or give me some pointers that would b great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)