Is anyone planning to do a PhD in Business? (1 Viewer)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Thats something i would love to do, it's just no one else seems to have any interest.

Any comments?

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
Not in Business (perhaps Arts) but a PhD wouldn't mean much if you spent all your time studying instead of experiencing. Employers search for experience, the difference between TAFE and university qualifications (in an employment preferences/opportunities sense) is thinning.
So long as you know everything inside out, I don't believe you need to sit for the next however many years and check boxes to receive a paper that says "yeah, he knows".
It's great to aim for a PhD, good luck. But keep in mind that doesn't necessarily equal instant employment.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Conspiración said:
Not in Business (perhaps Arts) but a PhD wouldn't mean much if you spent all your time studying instead of experiencing. Employers search for experience, the difference between TAFE and university qualifications (in an employment preferences/opportunities sense) is thinning.
So long as you know everything inside out, I don't believe you need to sit for the next however many years and check boxes to receive a paper that says "yeah, he knows".
It's great to aim for a PhD, good luck. But keep in mind that doesn't necessarily equal instant employment.
Its rather good hearing your opinion, its the same as my dads.

I was hoping to do BBA, and then do my PhD, but he said MBA and PHD's mean nothing against experience, to which i replied 'Your saying that because you don't have on (lol), and i now know he was offered and declined.

I would love to achieve a PhD, just because i believe (apart from habilitation) it's the top academic status you can achieve in your given field.

What were you considering doing a Phd arts in?

michael1990

HSC
I will strive to a PhD.

um...

yeah there is a point of experience. Workers with a PhD are generally higher paid then the ones who do not have one.

People who do not have one have to start from the bottom. Generally people who have a PhD start 'somewhere' closer to the top.

AUNTY told me above lol^^^

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
08ers ftw

I dont know when you can start your experience, some people were saying its in your Penultimate year but I dont know.

I figure i'll start when I can, too bad there are none of those fancy new business cadetships like you have over east or i'd probally have 5 years exeperience by the time i finih at uni.

MBA is what i'm looking towards, i'll let my employer pay for me to do it :S

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Pretty early to be planning a phd/MBA isnt it.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
blakegman said:
yeah i mean to say its more an aspiration.
But i havent seen anyone esle with similier goals.

michael1990

HSC
blakegman said:
I don't think it is.

I think in life you should always have goals which you strive to do.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
lol a PhD in business

the government doesn't fund that crap

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Conspiración said:
the difference between TAFE and university qualifications (in an employment preferences/opportunities sense) is thinning.
i don't know if this is true.
Even so, I'd still say there is a HUGE fucking gap b/w uni qualifications and a tafe one. Uni is a whole new level up from tafe.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
risole91 said:
Thats something i would love to do, it's just no one else seems to have any interest.

Any comments?
So...you want to be an, academic?
From where im sitting, unless you're not looking at doing an MBA/PHD reimbursed through an employer, arming yourself with anything past Honours and possibly a Grad Cert when going for grad positions and you're better off heading into an academic career.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but otherwise if you're looking at industry work, then you're really holding a sign above your head saying "i love wasting money".

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
So...you want to be an, academic?
From where im sitting, unless you're not looking at doing an MBA/PHD reimbursed through an employer, arming yourself with anything past a Grad Cert through postgrad and going for grad positions and you're heading into an academic career.

Nothing wrong with that at all, but otherwise if you're looking at industry work, then you're really holding a sign above your head saying "i love wasting money".
Really?

I thought that say if you got a MBA. Went and got a job with a very good company such as CBA and then asked them to fund your PhD they would?

blue_chameleon

HSC
michael1990 said:
Really?

I thought that say if you got a MBA. Went and got a job with a very good company such as CBA and then asked them to fund your PhD they would?
Yeah, on that occassion, of course.

My point was that if you're going to pay for it out of your own pocket, and/or the company doesn't stipulate that upon completion, you'll be offered X position in the company, then its an expensive way to pursue a personal interest. If you have the money though, go for it.

One of the directors of the company im with had started his MBA whilst working with one of the Big 4 banks, but now he's left and is running a successful firm of his own, there is no relevance to completing it, other than through personal interest.

Last I knew, he was still intent on completing it, but its definately down the list of priorities.

michael1990

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Yeah, on that occassion, of course.

My point was that if you're going to pay for it out of your own pocket, and/or the company doesn't stipulate that upon completion, you'll be offered X position in the company, then its an expensive way to pursue a personal interest. If you have the money though, go for it.

One of the directors of the company im with had started his MBA whilst working with one of the Big 4 banks, but now he's left and is running a successful firm of his own, there is no relevance to completing it, other than through personal interest.

Last I knew, he was still intent on completing it, but its definately down the list of priorities.
Yeah, this is so true.

But then again, if you did get a PhD or even a MBA and you were not offered x position with the company you're working for then you would definitely be able to get a job somewhere else. And that higher position job your're looking for.

blue_chameleon

HSC
michael1990 said:
Yeah, this is so true.

But then again, if you did get a PhD or even a MBA and you were not offered x position with the company you're working for then you would definitely be able to get a job somewhere else. And that higher position job your're looking for.
PhD =/= higher paying job/better position.
PhD = academic career

MBA = Assists in gaining a management role in a company, does not guarantee.

michael1990

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
i doubt thats true and even if it is by the time you finish your PhD the individual that opted to work instead of continuing their studies would have catch up anyway if they were any good
Your're totally wrong. Well not totally.

But Aunty is correct, she would know more than anyone in this forum. She was a Senior Executive in Retail, Human Resources and RTA lol

Next point when you said someone that has either a MBA or PhD wouldn't definitely get a job, your're totally wrong on this issue. Of course they would get a job, with someone of that calibre a company would snatch them up.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Expecting a PhD to instantly get you a job in business is the stupidest thing I've heard in my life, right next to a masters instantly getting you one.

While they do significantly increase your prospects, the job will almost always go to the more experienced (ceteris paribus).

The only reason that you should aim to do a PhD in 'business' is if you feel insecure and want to be called a doctor without an MBBS.

michael1990

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
yeah your auntie may have more experience than me but i still don't reckon its true (i am doing a major in Human Resource Management)

generally most people with PhD's and no experience would be considered over quaified. i know for a fact at the place where i work, thier have been many people with postgraduate studies looking for a job but have been turned down because of this. some where even desperate enough the were willing to work for free.

dude if you still don't believe me then just read this:
http://www.careerone.com.au/jobs/job-search/get-that-job/pid/1629?matrix=1141272003336
Okay. As i said above somewhere.

If your're working at a company and you get paid to do a PhD by that company, you would have experience which would defintely get you a higher position with another company.

The bigger the company the more likely you will get a position if you do have a PhD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)