Is anyone planning to do a PhD in Business? (1 Viewer)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Conspiración said:
This is the problem. Wrong reasons.
If you want that fancy air about you, go to Harvard. Might as well, you're planning way ahead.
I was thinking about harvord for a while, but its quite hard to get it/
Michigan is ranke in the top 4 business schools in the US, and i will have a better shot of getting in/

Wrong reasons?
i love business. or what i have seen so far, i just want to take it as far as possible

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
Michigan is ranke in the top 4 business schools in the US, and i will have a better shot of getting in/

Wrong reasons?
i love business. or what i have seen so far, i just want to take it as far as possible
I think if you do REALLY well first year you may get picked up by a high rank school.

I would presonally just do my Bachelor's then do a MBA at Singapore Business school or w/e.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I know two people straight out of SGHS that are in Ivy League schools. You both do know very little about anything.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:

Wrong reasons?
You realise you actually have to be smart to get into good schools/universities right ?

I won't make a blanket statement and say you aren't but the fact you do Standard English and General Maths gives me the impression you are getting ahead of yourself.

ichiraku

HSC
Most of what I say here probably applies more to sci than commerce, but I think it's generally valid across all the faculties.

Now, you should really only be consider a PhD if you absolutely love and are dedicated to your area of research. Most people don't even consider them until at least they've had a taste for research - usually in their honours year. A PhD is effectively a lonely 3-4 year hard slog where everything you do and breathe will be your research project - which will most likely be in some super specialized field. It's not like some kind of job which you can just leave at any time either if you don't like the conditions. No, if you find your research area boring, then there's no way you can just dump your project and take up another one - you're stuck till you finish it.

It's good to have goals, but if you are seriously into business then you should really be thinking about what area of it you would like to major in rather than a PhD atm. Like I said above, if you are still really keen then at least get a taste for what it will be like by taking an honours year.

In any case, people often change their decisions on their career path many times through both during HS and at uni. In the end, you might find that even as fascinating as business it, maybe you would prefer to just get into the workforce and apply your knowledge (rather than do research).

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
blakegman said:
You realise you actually have to be smart to get into good schools/universities right ?

I won't make a blanket statement and say you aren't but the fact you do Standard English and General Maths gives me the impression you are getting ahead of yourself.
I picked dud subjects because i concentrate on sport, and i do regret doing both those.

But my ticket into college will be based on sport, in which they allow you to choose your Area of study, and i will choose business, because i seem to take an interest in it.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
ichiraku said:
Most of what I say here probably applies more to sci than commerce, but I think it's generally valid across all the faculties.

Now, you should really only be consider a PhD if you absolutely love and are dedicated to your area of research. Most people don't even consider them until at least they've had a taste for research - usually in their honours year. A PhD is effectively a lonely 3-4 year hard slog where everything you do and breathe will be your research project - which will most likely be in some super specialized field. It's not like some kind of job which you can just leave at any time either if you don't like the conditions. No, if you find your research area boring, then there's no way you can just dump your project and take up another one - you're stuck till you finish it.

It's good to have goals, but if you are seriously into business then you should really be thinking about what area of it you would like to major in rather than a PhD atm. Like I said above, if you are still really keen then at least get a taste for what it will be like by taking an honours year.

In any case, people often change their decisions on their career path many times through both during HS and at uni. In the end, you might find that even as fascinating as business it, maybe you would prefer to just get into the workforce and apply your knowledge (rather than do research).
Thanks for a decent reply.
I now agree with what you say, more so then anyone else.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
risole91 said:
I picked dud subjects because i concentrate on sport, and i do regret doing both those.

But my ticket into college will be based on sport, in which they allow you to choose your Area of study, and i will choose business, because i seem to take an interest in it.
What sport.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i think its good to know what you want to achieve and work towards those goals

but its also important to know whats involved. A PhD is hardcore, as someone else said its 3-4 years of full time research and you are essentially writing a book on a very niche topic, which at the end of the day may not have any career value add.

best of luck!

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
You can go to Harvard or elsewhere as a postgraduate but you need to be involved in community service, have an insanely competitive GPA (6+) and of course, sports also counts.
Your experience in the field will also be considered in the selection process.
Going to these top universities is actually a lot easier than people seem to think. University of Melbourne is insane for postgraduate study.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Conspiración said:
You can go to Harvard or elsewhere as a postgraduate but you need to be involved in community service, have an insanely competitive GPA (6+) and of course, sports also counts.
Your experience in the field will also be considered in the selection process.
Going to these top universities is actually a lot easier than people seem to think. University of Melbourne is insane for postgraduate study.
I was going to apply to harvard as an undergrad.

American GPA only goes up to 4, but thats equivilen to a 6 here? ( correct me if i'm wrong )

Ahh none the less, im still a long way from even considering a Phd, i still have to make into into the undergrad BBA!!

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Newbie said:
i think its good to know what you want to achieve and work towards those goals

but its also important to know whats involved. A PhD is hardcore, as someone else said its 3-4 years of full time research and you are essentially writing a book on a very niche topic, which at the end of the day may not have any career value add.

best of luck!
cheers, and to be honest, i wasn't fully aware of whats invovled until i created this thread.

But having learnt this, if its something i want to do at the end of the day, i might consider it. I still have a LONG way to go. I think that doing a PhD might be something you would do when you are close to the top, or maybe later in your carreer when you have experience ect.

thanks!

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
ummm i dont think they have an undergraduate program for business at harvard. do you mean havard college?
Your right, they only offer post grad business degrees.
Non the less im still going to apply, but michigan is my number 1.
They have a BBA undergrad program.

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
^ Lmfao
They have weighted and unweighted GPAs. I'm not sure of the American system. Research it yourself - I'm not going to go to the effort as I don't intend on studying there :)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
HOW CAN YOU APPLY FOR SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT EXIST?!?
sorry, i mean im going to apply for the school. The american system is much different to here.

They do not have an undergrad program, however they teach different 'classes' prerequisite for MBA ect.

From what i remember macroeconomics & maths 113 are included. I don't fully understand the system.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Conspiración said:
^ Lmfao
They have weighted and unweighted GPAs. I'm not sure of the American system. Research it yourself - I'm not going to go to the effort as I don't intend on studying there :)
Yeah fair enough, i read somewhere on this site, that an American GPA 4.0 is equal to a 7 here.

I'm not to familier with it all yet.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Typical 08er though.

Wants to do something without knowing a thing about it.

michael1990

HSC
blakegman said:
Typical 08er though.

Wants to do something without knowing a thing about it.
Because your're so much older and wiser. Get off your high horse.

People are allowed to have ambitions. They came on here to see what people thought not for people to bag them out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)