• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is Australian Identity defined by popular culture? (1 Viewer)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
You saying Big Brother and Australian Idol expresses our values? Man we are definately up shit creek if we are.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'd say the majority of australians suffer a huge sense of nostalgia, and have for a long time. We still feel oh so separated from the world :(

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
*sighs*

Just did an essay on this..

..basically the notion of identity is a confused one in this globalised world. Its more just a bunch of stereotypes thrown in a mix.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Funny you should mention Australian Idol and Big Brother. I distinctly remember both being clones of American shows. Could the same be said about Australian culture? :p

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
You could say that. I reckon most people o/s think Australian's are clones of Steve Irwin, ride a kangaroo to school and cops use a boomerangs to knock over crims.

At least that's what I experienced when I went overseas.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
christ_ine said:
You could say that. I reckon most people o/s think Australian's are clones of Steve Irwin, ride a kangaroo to school and cops use a boomerangs to knock over crims.

At least that's what I experienced when I went overseas.

Which is better than be another set of yanks. It actually gives tourists a reason to come down here and helps promote the economy.

A lot of our TV is Americanised and maybe the culture is shifting that way but we're not there yet. There's still time to get shit programs off our TV (Actually I just loathe Australian Idol etc)

Seriously though we are still unique in small ways from the rest of the world and we should be proud of that.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
transcendent said:
You saying Big Brother and Australian Idol expresses our values? Man we are definately up shit creek if we are.
What there not even original concepts

I have also heard us being compared to the Canadains more then US, as our culture supposedly resembles there laid back attitude that or texan

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Its possible to have an educated opinion about pop culture... it is possible to know about it but not be swept away in it.

Yes I suppose I have felt alienated in the past because of lack of savvy, my advice embrace the bits you like, stick to your guns and go to uni (where you'll find people you agree with).

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Which is better than be another set of yanks. It actually gives tourists a reason to come down here and helps promote the economy.
I didn't say it was a bad thing. I just thought it was bloody amusing, even more so when you play on it. I think we're bloody special.

0Jade0

HSC
Lexicographer said:
Funny you should mention Australian Idol and Big Brother. I distinctly remember both being clones of American shows. Could the same be said about Australian culture? :p

Idol was created by Simon Cowell, he is English.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Idol frst screened in the US though.

However Big Brother started in Belgium.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
What there not even original concepts
Take note of Lexicographer's post, and then read through transcendent's post once again... Not all ideas are expressed explicitly.

AsyLum said:
*sighs*

Just did an essay on this..

..basically the notion of identity is a confused one in this globalised world. Its more just a bunch of stereotypes thrown in a mix.
A heady mix of dream weaving and dream believing. (i.e., from the little that I know through my own undergrad studies, I agree).

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Generator said:
Take note of Lexicographer's post, and then read through transcendent's post once again... Not all ideas are expressed explicitly.

A heady mix of dream weaving and dream believing. (i.e., from the little that I know through my own undergrad studies, I agree).
I was responding to Big Brother and Australian Idol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)