Is Biology all memorisation? (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
Hello all,

I heard that Preliminary and HSC Biology requires no skill - apparently it only requires memorisation. So you don't have to udnerstand the content - is this true? Is it really that easy?

Thanks,

James

ajay098

HSC
Hello all,

I heard that Preliminary and HSC Biology requires no skill - apparently it only requires memorisation. So you don't have to udnerstand the content - is this true? Is it really that easy?

Thanks,

James
lol u gotta understand it to apply it to questions...there are questions u have to answer. However it is mostli memory work which actualli makes it hard because there is so much u hav to memorise

Sarebs

HSC
Yeah you have to understand the content, but there's also a fair bit of memorisation. I've heard it called a "textbook science", but it doesn't mean it's an easy option, just different.

Schoey93

HSC
lol u gotta understand it to apply it to questions...there are questions u have to answer. However it is mostli memory work which actualli makes it hard because there is so much u hav to memorise
No, that would be easy for me because I have a good memory. I think I made a good choice in selecting Biology. :)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Lol, none of the people answering have actually done the HSC!

No, it's not just rote learning, abstract thinking is necessary in the questions worth the higher marks.

It's mostly common sense though, combined with what you've learnt.

ajay098

HSC
Lol, none of the people answering have actually done the HSC!

No, it's not just rote learning, abstract thinking is necessary in the questions worth the higher marks.

It's mostly common sense though, combined with what you've learnt.
:) i agree

Venom.

HSC
Yes; limited skill is required.

Reading and absorbing notes is pretty much it; concepts aren't difficult.

HSC
no. its not ALL memorisation. theres a fair bit of it but theres alot of applying that stuff.
i found our trial was made up of mostly applying knowledge as opposed to just memorising it :S
oh god trust me you do need to understand the content.

hollaholla

HSC
Nonononono. Look . The HSC questions are of two types i would say(A and B..lets just say). A is directly from a dot point (basically memorizing)...whereas B requires you to merge a lot of your learnt knowledge and incorporate it into a logically formed answer. B is not easy at all and this is where a lot of people fall ( especially in my school...8 mark questions are usually this way).

So you can do well by memorizing yes but you need to have a deep understanding to ace the exam.

Schoey93

HSC
Nonononono. Look . The HSC questions are of two types i would say(A and B..lets just say). A is directly from a dot point (basically memorizing)...whereas B requires you to merge a lot of your learnt knowledge and incorporate it into a logically formed answer. B is not easy at all and this is where a lot of people fall ( especially in my school...8 mark questions are usually this way).

So you can do well by memorizing yes but you need to have a deep understanding to ace the exam.
Also, what's more interesting - Biology or Chemistry? Which is the better subject?

Last edited:
HSC
Are there questions in Biology exams where you work out a problem on the spot? Also, what's more interesting - Biology or Chemistry? Which is the better subject?
What you find more interesting is up to the individual.
Personally, i find chemistry boring as hell so obviously id find bio more interesting.
Obviously there are other people that think otherwise.
And there is no 'better' subject.
Its whats better for you.

samthebear

HSC
Are there questions in Biology exams where you work out a problem on the spot?
yes, you can be asked to make a punnett square, a pedigree and/or work out the percentage/likelyhood of a certain inherited characteristic to be shown in offspring. and there are the classic writing scientific reports/procedures in relation to information provided in the question.

Edit: if you believe that HSC biology is all about memorising, be prepared for a band 4 or lower.

HSC
yes, you can be asked to make a punnett square, a pedigree and/or work out the percentage/likelyhood of a certain inherited characteristic to be shown in offspring. and there are the classic writing scientific reports/procedures in relation to information provided in the question.

Edit: if you believe that HSC biology is all about memorising, be prepared for a band 4 or lower.
ah i hope we get asked to do a punnett square or pedigree. love those things.

sadly i am preparing myself for a band 4 or lower in bio. miracle if i get a band 5 or 6 i think.

hollaholla

HSC
Chemistry is fun too...bio and chem rule. (chem scales a bit better than bio but thats cause its slightly more difficult)

and possessionless what in the world do you mean you're preparing yourself for a band 4?? your rank on the uai page wasnt bad and .....EXTERNALS STILL REMAIN.

JEEZ some people just never cease to amaze me!

HSC
Chemistry is fun too...bio and chem rule. (chem scales a bit better than bio but thats cause its slightly more difficult)

and possessionless what in the world do you mean you're preparing yourself for a band 4?? your rank on the uai page wasnt bad and .....EXTERNALS STILL REMAIN.

JEEZ some people just never cease to amaze me!
no seriously i got like 64% in the bio trials...
and that actually for me in a bio test is good.
i just do well in the assignments.

HSC
well nows the time to lift the game eh.
theres nothing more i can do for bio. i do constant revision, have done study notes all year...its just my weakest subject. its the one i work the hardest in yet it'll always be my lowest one so only 1u of it will probably count in my best 10 units anyway.

Venom.

HSC

Uh no. I bludged my way through the whole year, started dedicating about an hour a week to typing trial notes around mid June, and then I memorised for about 4 or 5 days, prior to the exam, just reading over my notes.

And I got an 85.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)