Is chess a sport? (1 Viewer)

Is chess a sport?

• Total voters

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
chess isn't a sport
“The International Olympic Committee recognized chess as a sport in 1999 and a year later it was an exhibition event at the Sydney Olympics.”

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
“The International Olympic Committee recognized chess as a sport in 1999 and a year later it was an exhibition event at the Sydney Olympics.”

LMAOOOOOO

literally none of those ten things remotely prove that chess is a sport

and its not even true that chess requires physical fitness

you could be a quadriplegic and be an elite chess player

HSC
LMAOOOOOO

Why does it even matter if chess is a sport or not?

HSC
do you say that to the clowns who write/post articles claiming chess is a sport?
Definition of sport [according to oxford dictionary]: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment"
"The International Olympic Committee considers chess to be a sport. Chess requires physical exertion as mental exertion manifests itself physically."

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
LMAOOOOOO

So physical fitness excludes the brain? The brain is not part of your body?

HSC
LMAOOOOOO

LMAOOOOOOO

I bet you’re one of those who believe you can keep going after getting checkmated because “you still have your queen”.

idkkdi

HSC
So physical fitness excludes the brain? The brain is not part of your body?
the problem with this, is that we're blurring the original intention of the definition of sport which is intended to describe stuff where you actually have non-negligible physical movement, not including the brain.
once you venture into including chess as a sport, you might as well start calling HSC a sport, maths a sport, and everything else that uses the brain a sport.

personally think we should just stick with the original intentions of definitions so that we can have some semblance of definition and not making everything the same thing and somewhat indescribable.

as for the obsession with denouncing chess for not involving large amounts of movement, that's pretty stupid.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
I wonder who I should trust the international olympic commitee, or some random guy on BoS
The olympic committee can literally just decide anything is a sport with zero justification. It's meaningless. Chess is booming, so the olympic committee wants a piece of the action. That's literally all this is.

I'm not asking you to "trust me", look at the definition of a sport:

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Chess does not involve physical exertion. Success in chess in purely based on mental decision making, not how powerfully or coordinated you contracted your muscles/moved your body. Chess could be done such that moves are verbally announced by the player and somebody moves the pieces for them (i.e. involving not even the "physical exertion" of moving their arm to complete a move), and the game would not have meaningfully changed at all, unless you think saying words is "physical exertion", in which everything is a fucking sport.

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
the problem with this, is that we're blurring the original intention of the definition of sport which is intended to describe stuff where you actually have non-negligible physical movement, not including the brain.
once you venture into including chess as a sport, you might as well start calling HSC a sport, maths a sport, and everything else that uses the brain a sport.

personally think we should just stick with the original intentions of definitions so that we can have some semblance of definition and not making everything the same thing and somewhat indescribable.

as for the obsession with denouncing chess for not involving large amounts of movement, that's pretty stupid.
I agree with what you're saying. But I think you might be disregarding the competitiveness aspect of chess. Yes the HSC can be competitive, but its ultimate purpose is different to that of chess, not to mention the absence/irrelevance of things like sportsmanship as the HSC comes under education.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
So, by your logic, any intellectual pursuit is a sport because it involves the brain? ffs dude
Not my logic. I'm merely following an officially recognised definition of chess.
Also, you're trying to make it look like as if I'm saying things I didn't actually say. I never said "Any intellectual pursuit is a sport".

HSC
The olympic committee can literally just decide anything is a sport with zero justification. It's meaningless. Chess is booming, so the olympic committee wants a piece of the action. That's literally all this is.

I'm not asking you to "trust me", look at the definition of a sport:

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Chess does not involve physical exertion. Success in chess in purely based on mental decision making, not how powerfully or coordinated you contracted your muscles/moved your body. Chess could be done such that moves are verbally announced by the player and somebody moves the pieces for them (i.e. involving not even the "physical exertion" of moving their arm to complete a move), and the game would not have meaningfully changed at all, unless you think saying words is "physical exertion", in which everything is a fucking sport.
In competitive chess you cannot 'tell someone to make your move'. Additionally, you move your arm to press your side of the chess timer as well as move your pieces with the use of your intellectual knowledge in the game. This means there is both a physical and mental decision making. In other words, your argument doesn't make sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)