• Total voters

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
i think all that needs to be said has been said on this topic

tash

lalalala
HSC
chess is so not a sport!! i would define sport as doing something that's active and somewhat strenuous- perhaps like moving your body rather than sitting around like a blob? hell, playing a musical instrument is more a sport than chess if u ask me! but i have nothing against chess as a hobby- it's good on rainy days when u're bored as hell.

but then again, i'm a complete and utter bum- i do no form of physical exercise other than walking a few hundred metres 2 school, so if chess became defined as a sport then i could take it up, so i could have the ability of 'playing' a 'sport'!!

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Chess is a sport, same as any other sport.. only not entirely physical. So its a sport for nerdy pplz like me who would rather sit inside all day and kick ass!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
of course chess's a sport!!!

okie, sport involves mostly 2 areas, strategy and stamina... well, hell, if u fink staying at a board, calculating 20 moves ahead of ur oppenent for like 7 rounds in a row does not take ALL you haf , then u serious need to try it your self someday... believe me, the sensation's exhausting, but rewarding nonetheless.....:D

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Originally posted by Twintip
Points 1, 2 & 3 are the only relevant ones, and they say it's not a sport. :eek:
depends how u define physical exertion...

Agnes2810

sUp ?
HSC
we had a skool chess comp recently .. hmm

mainly yr 7 and 8ers..

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
lolz..... chess r normally popular among boi schools for some unknown reasons...... sydney boi has like 8 x 3 (senior + inte + junior) teams...... lolz, u can c the popularity.....

Giant Lobster

HSC
Chess is uber... no doubt about that. I full sweat when I'm playing properly (im not fat i just have a 4 megawatt lobster brain) doesn't that alone justify it as a sport? no? scuff you!

Rellia

Well, what IS "a sport"? Something which exercises physical ability, co-ordination and/or logical thinking? You compete against someone, not physically, but requiring alot knowledge, logical thiking and patience to beat them. That sounds alot like other sports to me.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Rellia
You compete against someone, not physically, but requiring alot knowledge, logical thiking and patience to beat them. That sounds alot like other sports to me.
i cannot agree more ^^

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by meeeee
is monopoly a sport? :giddy:
no, but chess is different..... monopoly rely more or less on luck, u noe, the dice thingy....... while chess is pure strategy, tactics and exprience...... luck in chess can't really help u much, yet luck in monopoly gives away the game.....

Rellia

I fully agree...
All you believers that chess is not a sport- do you think fishing is? Not very physically challenging, requires patience, and some logical thinking... fishing's a sport, so why isn't chess? :cool:

Dumbarse

of course chess is a sport!!
it is a mental workout! the average person sweats more in chess than they would playing ten pin bowling

and snakes and ladders, its a sport if u consider the maths of it, stoopid markov chains n matrices,

connect four, now that should be an olympic sport damnit!

tranquil

INTP 5w4 sp/so/sx.
HSC
As a rather decent player I feel the need to speak up:

YES IT IS A SPORT.

Ok I'm done, thanks for listening. *sits back down and sips drink*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)