Is choosing law at MAQ a bad option ? (1 Viewer)

tee-haal

HSC
hi,
many people on this site write about not choosing MAQ for law. I am actually interested in tranferring after a semester or a year (not sure..im new to this lols) into B Commerce/B law. Alot of posts talk about UNSW or USYD being a more appropriate option if choosing law. Can anyone help please .

thanks in advance.</SPAN>

Atlas

HSC
N/A
hi,
many people on this site write about not choosing MAQ for law. I am actually interested in tranferring after a semester or a year (not sure..im new to this lols) into B Commerce/B law. Alot of posts talk about UNSW or USYD being a more appropriate option if choosing law. Can anyone help please .

thanks in advance.</SPAN>
Which uni are you at now?

Re Mq Law: you want the real answer or the marketing talk? What is your criteria for accessing the different law schools? What are you hoping to get out of your law degree?

Tabris

HSC
If you want your law degree to be abit more "artsy" and intercontextual, then MQ fits the bill.

I doubt USYD students will learn the evolution of trusts as a protection of capital. I also doubt that USYD students will study Foucault in criminal law or Marx, Adam Smith, Coase, Friedman and Galbraith in corporate law and the evolution of the corporate entity.

However, other core subjects are mostly/pure black letter law (i.e. cases and legislation) - torts, remedies, litigation, constitutional law.

In terms of teaching and difficulty, MQ is probably less rigourous comapred to USYD, I have seen the exam papers, unit outlines, assignments for the corresponding years and subjects and I can tell you that a USYD Law Student will think we take it easy.

Also, the learning atmosphere is different. MQ has ilectures - lectures that are reccorded and can be downloaded anytime anywhere. The lectures are followed on by a tutorial in the following/same week where problems and exercises are done.

USYD however, does not have an ilecture arrangement. Their classes are seminars - students have to do the readings beforehand and the taecher asks questions. its like ms Wood's first class at Harvard in Legally Blonde - I think this is called the Socratic Method in teaching

In terms of reputation, USYD hands down. I have heard some surpirsing stories about the law faculty and some funny ones but I wont discuss it here :)

As for career options - any student that is part of the cream of the crop at either law schools will be successful.

At the end of the day, marks, extra curriculars, work experience and personality is what counts. These factors are mostly dependent on you and not the law school.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm doing Law at Sydney this year, and to be honest, I think that anyone that looks down on a MQ Law student purely because they didn't get the ATAR to get into USyd, or because they wanted to go to MQ because closer (or for whatever reason) will be in for a nasty surprise when it comes to getting clerkships etc. :)

These two sentences from Tabris is probably the best sentences in this thread:
Tabris said:
At the end of the day, marks, extra curriculars, work experience and personality is what counts. These factors are mostly dependent on you and not the law school.

atreus

HSC
I don't think the MQ law degree is overly theoretical - with the exception of criminal law and jurisprudence (although Crim is now one semester and has a new convenor, so they might have taken out most of the Foucult stuff). In equity, there were only a few articles about theory of trusts, again maybe because of a new Convenor.

In terms of difficulty, USyd has mainly sit down exams, whereas at MQ, it's mainly take homes. Take homes can be harder though. The only USyd exams I've seen are in Equity and they seemed about the same. But a question on the same set of hypothetical facts would be marked differently as a take home, compared to a sit down exam where you have 40-60 minutes to do it.

tee-haal

HSC
thankss guyss. Im sort of getting it now. Now im just thinking to myself if im capable of doing law lols. I dint do legal studies in year 12 so somethings are quite new to me(like the jargon). but I'm still researching on it. thankss for everyone who helped. I really appreciate it :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
thankss guyss. Im sort of getting it now. Now im just thinking to myself if im capable of doing law lols. I dint do legal studies in year 12 so somethings are quite new to me(like the jargon). but I'm still researching on it. thankss for everyone who helped. I really appreciate it :)
I think you'll find that Legal Studies is not really an indication of the stuff you'll learn at uni :)

sean1990

HSC
I disagree .

I think legal studies helps significantly in giving u confidence in your first year. As you do crim, contracts, law and society and family, it does tend to overlap alot with what you learn at uni.

As above, u will learn alot of it in a short amount of time , legal studies is essentially the building blocks for the rest of the unit. However, having known this building block and somewhat "re-learning" it does help significantly IMO.

Not to say u can't do it without, U certainly can, its just beneficial...

I am glad u posted this question as I was starting to ask myself the same question. I am reassured.

rajputsingh

HSC
I disagree .

I think legal studies helps significantly in giving u confidence in your first year. As you do crim, contracts, law and society and family, it does tend to overlap alot with what you learn at uni.

As above, u will learn alot of it in a short amount of time , legal studies is essentially the building blocks for the rest of the unit. However, having known this building block and somewhat "re-learning" it does help significantly IMO.

I am glad u posted this question as I was starting to ask myself the same question. I am reassured.

Legal studies isnt really relevant. I got a band 6 in the HSC for legal and have not seen it as a necessity to understanding. As melsc stated we basically covered it in the first week or two.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I disagree .

Put simply, if it were even remotely helpful, it'd be made into a pre-requisite for the degree, which it isn't.

dolbinau

HSC
Put simply, if it were even remotely helpful, it'd be made into a pre-requisite for the degree, which it isn't.
I don't know....at least I took HLTH107, (intro to anatomy), and although Biology wasn't a prerequisite, it did give a little bit more confidence for the relevant work we covered in probably 1 lecture.

You didn't *need* biology or anything, but still I would describe it as at least 'remotely' helpful. (I realise that this may not be the case for Legal Studies>Law, but I'm just saying if it is helpful it doesn't need to be a pre-requisite).

sean1990

HSC
i don't know....at least i took hlth107, (intro to anatomy), and although biology wasn't a prerequisite, it did give a little bit more confidence for the relevant work we covered in probably 1 lecture.

You didn't *need* biology or anything, but still i would describe it as at least 'remotely' helpful. (i realise that this may not be the case for legal studies>law, but i'm just saying if it is helpful it doesn't need to be a pre-requisite).

spot on.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I disagree .

I think you'll find the further you go a long that it didn't actually help much. I found a lot of it was simplified or poorly explained/wrong and that its not as helpful as it seemed its not unhelpful but its totally not necessary. Good general knowledge of the legal system or sme life experience goes just as far.

Tabris

HSC
I received an email from MULS regarding a petition. In the letter, it has references to an External review by Mason P and a Clayton Utz Partner.

Some of the findings and recommendations are quite damaging.

I cant seem to find the whole report, its not on the web page. Supposedly, it was presented to the provost some months ago.

Mel, can you find anything?

tinfoilhat

HSC
according to the new memo from the dean they've already locked in the 4cp to 3cp change
suckss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)