Is Coaching for HSC Really Necessary? (1 Viewer)

Bearman

HSC
Definitely possible, I got 99.90 without any coaching/tutoring at any point. A good tutor will certainly be able to put you in the right direction and provide materials but how much it'll actually help depends on what your learning style is.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Definitely not!! My best subject was the one I received no tutoring for. I know people from my cohort who got all rounders without tutoring :) It really depends on your individual needs if you're considering being tutored. Sometimes tutoring is helpful, eg having someone push you in the right direction with subject X and stuff, but a lot of the time if you're capable, it's not that necessary.

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC
I ended up 99 in 3u and 94 in 4u and i was never tutored either.
It really depends on the persons strengths and how willing they are to work without a tutor (i did nothing for english or physics all year)

photastic

HSC
Only reasons why you need tutoring:
1. You are naturally ungifted like myself and struggling with the subject.
2. Your teacher can't teach, sadly there's always one of them out there.
3. You are lacking direction and perhaps need someone to mentor you which in big school classes cannot be offered.
4. Why not approach.

But seriously, if you want tutoring avoid 'classes' tutoring and go to a one-on-one or max of 3 people because most of the centres with big classes only care about selective schools (unless you are one)

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
Definitely not!! My best subject was the one I received no tutoring for. I know people from my cohort who got all rounders without tutoring :) It really depends on your individual needs if you're considering being tutored. Sometimes tutoring is helpful, eg having someone push you in the right direction with subject X and stuff, but a lot of the time if you're capable, it's not that necessary.
I ended up 99 in 3u and 94 in 4u and i was never tutored either.
It really depends on the persons strengths and how willing they are to work without a tutor (i did nothing for english or physics all year)
Only reasons why you need tutoring:
1. You are naturally ungifted like myself and struggling with the subject.
2. Your teacher can't teach, sadly there's always one of them out there.
3. You are lacking direction and perhaps need someone to mentor you which in big school classes cannot be offered.
4. Why not approach.

But seriously, if you want tutoring avoid 'classes' tutoring and go to a one-on-one or max of 3 people because most of the centres with big classes only care about selective schools (unless you are one)
Yep thanks :D I don't think I particularly need tutoring at the moment as I'm capable of doing well given I put in the required effort.
My mediocre and not so good marks last year were mostly due to my lack of effort, which I'll do my best to make sure it doesn't happen in the upcoming year.

britaker

HSC
I only got tutoring for 3U maths, which was my worst subject that also ended up not counting. imo it wasn't worth it, though to be fair I always disliked maths and was less likely to try hard than subjects I liked and did better at.

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
Tutoring is by no means necessary. How capable one's teachers/accessible stellar resources are will determine whether tutoring is necessary. That being said, I think many students could do with a little direction and encouragement that they might not usually receive in their learning environment/social circles. As someone above stated, a second opinion is invaluable, especially in humanities subjects, which can be very divisive. While capable students are independently well-off, there are many of a similar calibre who just aren't being nurtured in the right way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)