Is commerce, business or economics degree hard? (1 Viewer)

FreeWorld

HSC
Im planning to do a commerce degree but im afraid i might not be able to pass only due to one reason and that is the maths involved. I am not doing any maths for my hsc (pretty stupid considering i want to do commerce but oh well, i had a bad teacher).

So what is the proportion of maths involved in commerce, business or economics (probably my last option). I have searched other threads and some saying maths topics such as basic algebra, calculas and graphs. Is it difficult? the assumed knowledge is 2unit math which isnt terribly bad.

chrisnumber1

HSC
Im planning to do a commerce degree but im afraid i might not be able to pass only due to one reason and that is the maths involved. I am not doing any maths for my hsc (pretty stupid considering i want to do commerce but oh well, i had a bad teacher).

So what is the proportion of maths involved in commerce, business or economics (probably my last option). I have searched other threads and some saying maths topics such as basic algebra, calculas and graphs. Is it difficult? the assumed knowledge is 2unit math which isnt terribly bad.
there is bridging courses, im doing some units similar to a applied finance degree (cos its the first year) and so far doing economics (finding opportunity cost, graphs, basic algebra) is all you really need. they say 2 unit because integration is used later, but it isn't that hard and it isnt used in mega hard examples. Btw it depends what you do, those degrees are so broad that the level could be anything from none/general to recommended ext 2, it depends what you want to major in(eg actuarial studies=advance maths so like e3-e4 ext 1 or 2, while others would be just using a calculator or fairly basic stuff).

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
You're going to need HSC Advanced Maths or equivalent knowledge to pass.

aussie-boy

HSC
If you want to do honours with economics/econometrics/finance majors, you will need some serious maths for all the modelling etc

Otherwise, commerce degrees let you skirt around the mathematical stuff (you can do management, marketing, information systems, accounting, business law)

FreeWorld

HSC
I probably won't major those with maths heavily involved.

One person says its do-able, the other goes i need advanced maths to pass...??

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I probably won't major those with maths heavily involved.

One person says its do-able, the other goes i need advanced maths to pass...??
For any of the worthwhile majors, you're going to need basic maths. The choice is yours whether you do it for the HSC, in a bridging course or just try to learn it on the fly. Those options are also in order of easiest to hardest, in the long-term.

FreeWorld

HSC
For any of the worthwhile majors, you're going to need basic maths. The choice is yours whether you do it for the HSC, in a bridging course or just try to learn it on the fly. Those options are also in order of easiest to hardest, in the long-term.
what if i do business, marketing and accounting which isnt as hard as the others?

-Lemon-

HSC
N/A
what if i do business, marketing and accounting which isnt as hard as the others?
Sorry to break it to you, but if you suck at maths, it means you suck at logical thinking. People with your type of muddled mind are best suited to 'hands-on' TAFE courses.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Sorry to break it to you, but if you suck at maths, it means you suck at logical thinking. People with your type of muddled mind are best suited to 'hands-on' TAFE courses.
Or liberal arts degrees, where they can pretend they spent three years and $30,000 actually learning something.

dragondilesh

HSC
Or liberal arts degrees, where they can pretend they spent three years and $30,000 actually learning something.

Yea, i sound a bit mean, but its true. Math is logic, but i dont agree with with people above me that u should go to tafe/ arts.

but honestly reconsider your position that you've placed your self in make sure u can do basic math and work up your logic skills, which math is anyways.

FreeWorld

HSC
Yea, i sound a bit mean, but its true. Math is logic, but i dont agree with with people above me that u should go to tafe/ arts.

but honestly reconsider your position that you've placed your self in make sure u can do basic math and work up your logic skills, which math is anyways.
Lol how the fuck did this end up to logic skills? and who said i have a problem with my logic skills lol?

FreeWorld

HSC
Judging on your join date, you're obviously a troll who attempts to put people down. I never said i sucked at maths. If you suck at maths, then you suck at logical thinking lol. That is probably the most stupid comment i've ever seen.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
If you suck at maths, then you suck at logical thinking lol. That is probably the most stupid comment i've ever seen.
This is the most stupid comment i've ever seen.
Maths is logical thinking no matter which way you look at it.

lychnobity

HSC
Commerce isn't hard.

And to be honest, figuring out the maths by yourself isn't hard either.

Monstar

HSC
You dont need to be a wiz at maths to do well at commerce.. my philosophy is, as long as you work harder and smarter chances are success will always follow. Ive done finance subjects and its mostly the concepts that are important.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Commerce isn't hard.

And to be honest, figuring out the maths by yourself isn't hard either.
If your HSC year is correct you've had three weeks of Commerce, thus far.
What would you know?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)