• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is doing maths necessary? (1 Viewer)

StrikeFere

HSC
And another in test I did horribly bad I can't even say it, like 30%, but if I had done everything properly without making silly mistakes I would have gotten 85.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, the times I have tried, I have done pretty well in exams. But sometimes not even that works. For example, I studied really well for Volume and Surface Area (the subject I hate the most in maths) yet in the exam I was under the delusion that I did everything well, and when I got it back, got 40%!
I remember I got like 51% for real numbers and like 52% for consumer arithmetic and like 60% for surface area and volume in Year 9 topic tests.
Then in Year 10, I did a topic test which involved all of those three topics (revision chapter kind of) and I got 95% (39/41).
Seriously, you can improve heaps in maths as long as you are willing to improve.
Maths tutoring has definitely helped me improve in school.
I also hate Volume and Surface Area. I can do polynomials + curve sketching, functions + logarithms or circle geometry but I can never stand Surface Area and Volume.
I guess my school has well prepared me for Maths Extension 1. We've done all the required topics in the maths 10.3 Syllabus AND harder topics Year 10 extension such as:
Circle Geometry, Polynomials + Curve Sketching, Functions + Logarithms.

Soon, we're going to start some prelim Ext 1 and Adv topics such as Permutations and Combinations, Calculus and Harder Trigonometry after SC most likely (or just before).

Also, what level of Year 10 maths are you doing? 10.1, 10.2, 10.3?
Note: I am also in year 10 atm.

mcadelina

HSC
I reckon you could go away happy with year 10 level maths. You don't really need maths if you're not going to enjoy it. I know a someone in my year who got one of those prestigious awards just under Dux in year 10 and she did not choose maths. She just enjoyed school and she's doing well without it. You should think more about how the thinking and pressure behind each subject is going to affect your other subjects.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well if you're sure you're not going to need it in uni and it will drag your ATAR down don't do it.

I disagree with the rationale of getting X marks in X level, then you should do this maths. It's a fine guide and all, but it doesn't take into consideration if you're doing tonnes better in your other subjects. Like for example, the highest scorer from my school (99.7+) did no maths. They weren't shocking in yr 10 maths, but they were tonnes better in their humanities.

enoilgam

HSC
Hi,

I empathise with your situation. I did 2U physics in year 11 because it made my parents happy and after the first term in year 11, switched to 3U italian because it was what i really wanted to do. It's hard to excel in something when you don't enjoy it. My advice, give it a go if you're in year 10 and then if you don't enjoy it, at least you tried. I disagree with comments regarding dropping subjects to bring your ATAR up or down. If you enjoy a subject, you will do well in it and then no need to worry about your ATAR.

Good luck! :)
Agreed.

B

burt2

Necessary? Is it necessary that I drink my own urine? No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste

trollface.jpg

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
No, it is not necessary - I think wendybird did achieve a 99.95 without mathematics and now studies at Harvard. However at this point in the time - you still aren't sure about what to study at Uni and I believe it would be a slightly major set back later on if you want to do commerce, science or etc. Albeit, there are bridging courses but really its a waste of time and possibly money.

My advice is to take on mathematics and drop it later on, if you are struggling or definately know that you don't want to do a course that involves it. You're only in Year 10, it is likely that your preferences would change. For me, I use to adore mathematics but now appreciate English.

Last edited:

Serenely

HSC
No, it is not necessary - I think wendybird did achieve a 99.95 without mathematics and now studies at Harvard. However at this point in the time - you still aren't sure about what to study at Uni and I believe it would be a slightly major set back later on if you want to do commerce, science or etc. Albeit, there are bridging courses but really its a waste of time and possibly money.

My advice is to take on mathematics and drop it later on, if you are struggling or definately know that you don't want to do a course that involves it. You're only in Year 10, it is likely that your preferences would change. For me, I use to adore mathematics but now appreciate English.
Mhm, her math units weren't counted towards her final ATAR, simply because she did extremely well in her english-based subjects.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC

That 100%.

I've noticed that those people who don't do maths are either really dumb or really smart (a bit of a generalisation but yeh). If you end up not picking it try to be in the second category.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Necessary? Is it necessary that I drink my own urine? No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste

trollface.jpg
That was a good movie.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad

+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)