• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is "Engineering Studies" Scaled up or down? (1 Viewer)

Petey9

HSC
N/A
I am currently in year 10 and recieved my subject selection forms for the upcoming Year 11 and 12!

I have chosen to do civil engineering at university, hence have chosen the following subjects:

Adv English
Maths Ext1 (Ext 2 in yr 12)
Physics
Chemistry
Engineering Studies/ Business Studies
Mandatory Christian Studies

As to which one of engineering or business stud i should do, i am not sure, for i know that business stud scales up well whereas i am not quite sure about engineering studies.

So my concluding question is: Does Engineering Studies Scale up well?

Thanks all for your support!

q3thefish

HSC
Business scales crap buddy. Keep engineering studies, it'll probably help you l8er on cuz of ur uni course choice

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Both are just as bad, if your interested in Business Studies why not pick Economics ? It's the best scaling social science subject.

Last edited:

absorber

HSC
Both are just as bad, if your interested in Business Studies why not pick Economics ? It's the best scaling humanities subject.
do you mean social science? I wasn't aware economics was a humanity. Go to UAC and look at the tables? they've been linked up everywhere here now

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
do you mean social science? I wasn't aware economics was a humanity. Go to UAC and look at the tables? they've been linked up everywhere here now
Oops sorry,

My mistake.

dp624

HSC
almost all subjects are scaled down.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Certain Languages like Latin/Classical Greek and their Extensions don't scale down AFAIK, neither do Distinction Course and 3U Maths stays even rather than scaling down.

dp624

HSC
yeah that's true
pretty much every other subject scales down though (in general - e.g. very high end phys/chem and eco might scale up)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Yeah, you should probably pick Economics over Business Studies. Firstly, Economics scales better and from what I hear, it is a little more interesting. They are both quite similar.
Nah, Engineering Studies scales badly. Don't pick it unless you really, really like it. I have heard that it is very boring!

tylerplowright

HSC
As to which one of engineering or business stud i should do, i am not sure, for i know that business stud scales up well whereas i am not quite sure about engineering studies.

So my concluding question is: Does Engineering Studies Scale up well?

Thanks all for your support!
Ok i did business studies as an accelerated course...it was ok, but yeah, like most people are saying...it doesn't scale THAT well. Course you do good in anything and you'll do well. As for engineering as a subject...its awesome! all the guys in my class are crazy about anything that has an engine. Mostly cars and planes. So we continually watch vids on engine's, destructive testing of cars and planes, as well as good old engineering stuff ups :rofl:

as for your career course...they PREFER engineering studies over things like physics if you are going to become an engineer, but most schools don't run it, hence they say physics. But go for engineering otherwise. alot of fun and its pretty easy, mostly just applied physics and maths

cya

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Ok i did business studies as an accelerated course...it was ok, but yeah, like most people are saying...it doesn't scale THAT well. Course you do good in anything and you'll do well. As for engineering as a subject...its awesome! all the guys in my class are crazy about anything that has an engine. Mostly cars and planes. So we continually watch vids on engine's, destructive testing of cars and planes, as well as good old engineering stuff ups :rofl:

as for your career course...they PREFER engineering studies over things like physics if you are going to become an engineer, but most schools don't run it, hence they say physics. But go for engineering otherwise. alot of fun and its pretty easy, mostly just applied physics and maths

cya
i would think that's highly questionable

tylerplowright

HSC
i would think that's highly questionable
knew that would cause controversy...but i've talked to a heap of engineering firms, as well as defence forces and so on, and once they know you do engineering they don't really care as much about physics. its still all good but yeah, engineering is just as good if not better than physics when it comes to that stuff. but it still does help when you are doing engineering studies at school

Petey9

HSC
N/A
Both are just as bad, if your interested in Business Studies why not pick Economics ? It's the best scaling social science subject.
Yep, im deciding upon that, but my school "forbids" anyone with less than a B+ English to do Economics, that which i did not achieve, partly because i have a bad teacher but mainly i just sleep in class.

But i know that no-one can stop me from doing Ecos, not even the headmaster. So i better start working hard :)

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Yep, im deciding upon that, but my school "forbids" anyone with less than a B+ English to do Economics, that which i did not achieve, partly because i have a bad teacher but mainly i just sleep in class.

But i know that no-one can stop me from doing Ecos, not even the headmaster. So i better start working hard :)
Work smart not hard :p

Good luck with Economics bro !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)