• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is English EXT1 Worth It (1 Viewer)

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Hey Guys, I'm planning on doing Extension 1 English Next year. I love english, I ranked first in English for many years. Do you think It is worth doing EEXT1??

Pros and Cons Please :)

etyro

HSC
If you love English, yes, it can be worth it - but definitely if you also appreciate the theoretical side of English.

I went into EEXT1 simply because I was good at English; I had no real reason. I eventually also completed it just so I could take EEXT2 (there were only two of us doing it in my year, haha). But when I began I didn't have much of an appreciation for the theoretical underpinnings of literature. I grew into it over time, and it definitely improved my Advanced scores by multitudes. Also, it can really depend on the focus areas you study. Some of them, like Crime Fiction, for example, can be very interesting, but not that appealing if it's not your thing. I'd give it a go regardless; you can always drop it, and I found it didn't take up too much extra study time (it kind of merged with Advanced English in my mind and they became just one subject/assessment period).

ellie95

HSC
N/A
If you love English, yes, it can be worth it - but definitely if you also appreciate the theoretical side of English.

I went into EEXT1 simply because I was good at English; I had no real reason. I eventually also completed it just so I could take EEXT2 (there were only two of us doing it in my year, haha). But when I began I didn't have much of an appreciation for the theoretical underpinnings of literature. I grew into it over time, and it definitely improved my Advanced scores by multitudes. Also, it can really depend on the focus areas you study. Some of them, like Crime Fiction, for example, can be very interesting, but not that appealing if it's not your thing. I'd give it a go regardless; you can always drop it, and I found it didn't take up too much extra study time (it kind of merged with Advanced English in my mind and they became just one subject/assessment period).
Thanks so much, I'll definetely go for it plus i don't have a problem with extra study time i only have 3 subjects next year :), the other 3 im doing this year.

such_such

HSC
I see no cons at all.

Basically it all comes down to whether or not you enjoy it and are bothered to study for it. If you're reluctant to pick up an EX1 book then you know it's not for you.

But in your case, you seem to feel really confident with EX1 so I say, KEEP IT!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Guys, I'm planning on doing Extension 1 English Next year. I love english, I ranked first in English for many years. Do you think It is worth doing EEXT1??

Pros and Cons Please :)
As with all subjects, worth it if you like it, get something out of it and/or do well in it.

Riaa

HSC
For me, I choose EXT1 simply as a challenge and to improve my English skills a whole.
This was my mindset until we started the topic of 'Gothic' and anaylsised Edgar Poe poems... Love Edgar Poe poems!
To me EXT1 was way more flexible than the rigid Advance course, it favoured your creativity more. I considered two different subjects as I had two different teachers :D

MY PROS:
•Relatively it is considered to have better scaling
•You can drop it afterwards if it doesn't suit you.

CONS:
•More essays to write ie Quotes (you need extra commitment). To overcome this you must be wellorganised or have a genuine interest in literature as a whole.
•You cannot 'pick it up' later.

I would say give it a try, since you enjoy English I would say that it is worth it :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)