Is feminism evil? (1 Viewer)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I was just saying third wave diversification is more of a feminist platform than 'greater rights' activism. Greater rights gets brought up a lot, but I'd argue that's more of a media misrepresentation because it's sensationalist. I don't have the stats on it (I don't know if they exists), but from reading a general body of modern feminist literature, greater rights doesn't dominate at all.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
I was just saying third wave diversification is more of a feminist platform than 'greater rights' activism. Greater rights gets brought up a lot, but I'd argue that's more of a media misrepresentation because it's sensationalist. I don't have the stats on it (I don't know if they exists), but from reading a general body of modern feminist literature, greater rights doesn't dominate at all.
right. i'm talking about feminism as a political or governmental program, though, not ivory tower scholarly theory. my point is that most of the third-wave program is beyond the purview of 'governance', which is kind of the point- making it third-wave, and not second-wave. hence the irrelevance of equal rights feminism as a political platform (mission accomplished). the media is how the political program is communicated, and they still harp on about equal rights. so i would say that modern feminism could be called 'evil' insofar as it is a vehicle for extracting privilege (or a nice issue to WHITE KNIGHT about)

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
right. i'm talking about feminism as a political or governmental program, though, not ivory tower scholarly theory. my point is that most of the third-wave program is beyond the purview of 'governance', which is kind of the point- making it third-wave, and not second-wave. hence the irrelevance of equal rights feminism as a political platform (mission accomplished). the media is how the political program is communicated, and they still harp on about equal rights. so i would say that modern feminism could be called 'evil' insofar as it is a vehicle for extracting privilege (or a nice issue to WHITE KNIGHT about)
Yeah I see your point; my problem isn't really with the misuse of feminism on a political front, I think the complaints are valid. It's more to do with the categorisation of these actions as 'modern feminism'.

Lentern

HSC
I think it's because you've over-simplified/misrepresented the modern feminist position. Most of third/post feminism is about either the rights of the 'non-rich, non-white' women, or about finding a basis of equality.

Your focusing on what would generally be considered more fringe/extreme feminist positions.
No it's not it's about freedom of individuality and not being driven into some narrow definition of what it is to be a woman. The "third wave" is essentially a response to the growing prevalence of second wave feminists who were telling women that they were bad feminists if they wanted to be a stay at home mum, primary school teacher or nurse.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
No it's not it's about freedom of individuality and not being driven into some narrow definition of what it is to be a woman. The "third wave" is essentially a response to the growing prevalence of second wave feminists who were telling women that they were bad feminists if they wanted to be a stay at home mum, primary school teacher or nurse.
That's a part of it too. I should have covered that.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
that's quite a shallow interpretation of third wave feminism. the reaction against second wave feminists was really inspired by the cultural turn/rise of post-modernism/post-structuralism in academia (flowing on to feminist theory) that challenged essentialist/progressive/grand narratives of womanhood. it wasn't just because second wave feminists were totalitarians.

the necessary consequence is, of course, that feminists have instituted their own irrelevance

Lentern

HSC
that's quite a shallow interpretation of third wave feminism. the reaction against second wave feminists was really inspired by the cultural turn/rise of post-modernism/post-structuralism in academia (flowing on to feminist theory) that challenged essentialist/progressive/grand narratives of womanhood. it wasn't just because second wave feminists were totalitarians.

the necessary consequence is, of course, that feminists have instituted their own irrelevance
Oh my god shutup.

lolcakes52

HSC
Some of my female friends believe very strongly in feminism and went to a bunch of lectures about it with a big-shot feminist who's name I cant remember. What I gather was the main point of these lectures was that women should not have to hold someones hand to achieve in this world, they should achieve it based on their own merit, otherwise it is a hollow victory. I do not believe we should allocate X amount of jobs or Y% of jobs to women but I strongly understand that discrimination is unforgivable. The only reason I can understand for a scholarship or position or whatever to be allocated to a person from any gender, caste, creed, religion etc is if they have an inherent disadvantage due to there gender, caste etc etc. If women are equal to men then they shouldn't be treated nicer or given more opportunities because the opportunities are open to anyone with the abilities required.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Gates Foundation's pledge for contraceptives in developing countries: $1 billion

this is good feminism

ArguablyMitch

HSC
Strident feminism can be absurd, but not evil. I hate to be the semantics person, but I don't think that you can demonstrate feminism to be "profoundly immoral and malevolent."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)