• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is finding a job you love -- Unrealistic? (1 Viewer)

Is it realistic to find a job you love?

• Yes

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
tussitussa said:
I wasn't turned down. They accepted me. I had to see my dream slip away from my hands, when it was so close. And it was for reasons not within my control.

Thanks..I might try again in the future.
Are you trolling?

:confused:

well if you aren't, just apply again.

tussitussa

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Are you trolling?

:confused:

well if you aren't, just apply again.
No. I don't usually troll.. and when I do it's usually about sex.

greekgun

HSC
Who in the hell enjoys working? The reason you get paid for work because its not enjoyable. The onlything which i would enjoy as a job is testing out computer games by playing them.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
greekgun said:
Who in the hell enjoys working? The reason you get paid for work because its not enjoyable. The onlything which i would enjoy as a job is testing out computer games by playing them.
Your opinion is skewed because you work for Coles Group.

As for finding a job that you love being realistic, its not about realism, its about whether you have the balls to chase what you want, and being fully accountable for everything. The end.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Well...it is a little bit about realism. Or to put it another way, making realistic decisions. A friend of mine is currently pursuing a dance career, which is great, and she's not a bad dancer at all, quite good actually, but I'm not sure she realises how utterly fantastic you have to be to make it very far in that industry and secondly, she's gone into it without any formal training whatsoever bar HSC dance and this uni course she's now doing - just about everyone who gets somewhere in this field has been dancing for their entire lives. Does this make sense to anybody? Following your dream is the best thing you could ever do for yourself. But the worst thing you could do is start following it without really working out what needs to happen first.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
"Quote:
Originally Posted by lyounamu
I am aware of that. That's why I said, "you can get a job you love as long as you have RIGHT passion, skills and love".

Who are you determine what is the right and wrong passion and love for a person to have?

Gosh you're an arrogant prick."

Uh, just putting it out there, I think he meant the right blend of passion, skills and love. Obviously you need certain things to get into certain jobs, and if you're lucky enough to have the things you need to get into what you want, you obviously have the right blend.
I don't think he was saying he was personally going to judge whether everyone had the right passion.
Maybe you read too far into it or something.
But calm down =)

leoyh

mic`
HSC
a lot of ppl i know really enjoy their job and some love it so yeah. sometimes its not about all about the money

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
let's admit it, almost everyone do their job for the money, no one would have done it if the job didn't pay. if you'd still do your if it didn't pay you, then that's what i define as "loving your job". i think what you're saying here is enjoying it or enthusiastic about it more than the others.

take me for example. i like my job, working at three of the biggest venues in the world, watch the games, enjoy the atmosphere and helping people out when they come to the games. pretty sweet. but would i still be there if i didn't get paid? hell no.

but then again, it does help a lot if you are actually working at a place you look forward to when you're rostered on. a lot depends on who you work with and how your boss is. it doesn't have to be the nature of the work that suits.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Well...it is a little bit about realism. Or to put it another way, making realistic decisions. A friend of mine is currently pursuing a dance career, which is great, and she's not a bad dancer at all, quite good actually, but I'm not sure she realises how utterly fantastic you have to be to make it very far in that industry and secondly, she's gone into it without any formal training whatsoever bar HSC dance and this uni course she's now doing - just about everyone who gets somewhere in this field has been dancing for their entire lives. Does this make sense to anybody? Following your dream is the best thing you could ever do for yourself. But the worst thing you could do is start following it without really working out what needs to happen first.
Someone I know is doing a Visual Arts degree. She's good at art and has talent but I don't have the guts to tell her that she is going to be broke her whole life. It's great that she's doing what she wants to do, but there's just no career in it.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
Someone I know is doing a Visual Arts degree. She's good at art and has talent but I don't have the guts to tell her that she is going to be broke her whole life. It's great that she's doing what she wants to do, but there's just no career in it.
See the thing is, I'm sure she knows that.

In any Creative Arts field we're told repeatedly that it's incredibly rare to make a living off your art. She might earn some money off her art eventually but I'm sure she's not deluded into thinking she'll live off it.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
Actually, I beg to differ.

One of the clients I see for work, is a very successful artist. Her income is usually around the $150,000/year. Whilst im not saying every artist pulls this kind of income, you shouldn't be so quick to judge the ability to generate income through artwork. These days, a growing number of the big company's are purchasing artworks/photo frames etc for employee's as non-cash bonuses. A prime example of this in photography at least, is Ken Duncan.

I guess the point is, that anything is a worthwhile career, as long as you're talented at what you do and have some smarts. Its rediculous the amount of money that some company's are willing to pay for gifts.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Actually, I beg to differ.

One of the clients I see for work, is a very successful artist. Her income is usually around the $150,000/year. Whilst im not saying every artist pulls this kind of income, you shouldn't be so quick to judge the ability to generate income through artwork. These days, a growing number of the big company's are purchasing artworks/photo frames etc for employee's as non-cash bonuses. A prime example of this in photography at least, is Ken Duncan.

I guess the point is, that anything is a worthwhile career, as long as you're talented at what you do and have some smarts. Its rediculous the amount of money that some company's are willing to pay for gifts.
Yeah I agree with that...the point is that if you want a career in a field as difficult to break into as art or dance or theatre or anything like that, you can't just jump in the deep end and hope you end up swimming because it's your "life" or your "dream" or whatever. You have to plan your moves a bit more than that...I don't know, I just get the impression from some of my artier friends that they think simply having a bit of talent is going to get them everywhere. the boyfriend of my dancing friend has a garage band, right, and he's building a house, basically to put their stuff in and use as a postal address, as I inferred from my friend, while they tour Europe. Um, what? Garage in melbourne --> gigs in London, there is something missing in the middle there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)