Is General Maths capped? (1 Viewer)

Freckles14

HSC
Self-explanatory title :)

Is it really capped and if so, at what mark? As in what's the highest aligned mark a General student could get back? And hypothetically, if a student got a perfect 100 in externals, what mark would they receive?

I'm kind of after a good Band 6 in this subject, so any answers would help.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Aligned marks are not capped for any courses, so you can always reach Band 6 or an aligned mark of 100.

Scaled marks are sometimes capped, and general mathematics is an example of a course for which this usually occurs.

There's a bit more about that here. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Self-explanatory title :)

Is it really capped and if so, at what mark? As in what's the highest aligned mark a General student could get back? And hypothetically, if a student got a perfect 100 in externals, what mark would they receive?

It is capped as in scaled mark. The top scaled mark that you can usually get is around 45-46/50 . However, you can still get 100 aligned mark but even getting that won't equate to 50/50 scaled, more like 45-46 scaled.

PC

HSC
N/A
Work hard. Do as many practice papers as you can. Try lots of harder, challenge-type questions. Know the course.

Sounds trite, but it's true. If you put in the hard work, you'll get a good result.

savio23q

Band
HSC
Band 6 is not hard to obtain if you do what PC says. If you're only after a band 6, then don't worry about being 'capped', coz a 90+ is VERY achievable, unlike something like standard english. Don't compare this to english adv vs english std and 2unit maths vs general maths.

Freckles14

HSC
Thanks so much. Turns out my Head Teacher Maths is the biggest liar on Earth... we confronted him about it today and he completely turned around from what he'd told us before - that it was supposedly impossible to get really high marks.

Crazy man. Then again he only teaches 4U these days so I guess it makes perfect sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)