is having a tutor important?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
just wondering....
ive heard some people say you need a tutor to get a really high atar

HSC
N/A
yeh but how many people need a really high atar ?, and i consider 98-99+ as really high

you can get 95 atar relatively easy without a tutor and some commitment

yes i think you will find that atleast 50% of the 98-99+ATAR students had tutors , but what course needs 99+??

Last edited:

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
yeh but how many people need a really high atar ?, and i consider 98-99+ as really high

you can get 95 atar relatively easy without a tutor and some commitment

yes i think you will find that atleast 50% of the 98-99+ATAR students had tutors , but what course needs 99+??
Comm/law, law in general and to be competitive for med you do. 95 actually isn't as easy as people think, unless you are somewhat self-directed

HSC
N/A
Comm/law, law in general and to be competitive for med you do. 95 actually isn't as easy as people think, unless you are somewhat self-directed
i really dnt see why med and law has such high atars, the courses themselves are easy as pi :)P) , just because , for some reason lots of ppl want to be doctors or lawyers, doctors are alright, but many lawyers are greedy , corrupt bastards .

I was referring to a real mans uni course like engineering or science .

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
if you're motivated yourself, and you have good resources at school, then no.
i personally got 99+ without any tutoring for most of year 12. it was only in the 2nd half when my awesome awesome english teacher left and my parents started to freak out that i'd fail hsc english that i started going to an english tutor. but i had about less than 10 lessons with her all up so yeahh.

but i was lucky in that most of my teachers were awesome and dedicated and gave great feedback and lots of resources.
if you don't have that at school, then i think it may be a good idea to look at tutoring. but usually it isn't necessary.

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
you dont necissarily need one but they certainly do help.

plus its good to have a variety of resources or input.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
They're not 'important', but they never hurt (well admittedly, some can). If you have the motivation, determination, support from friends / parents / teachers, access to resources, intelligent and experienced teachers than it isn't required.

It really depends on the individual. Having a tutor provides the supervision when studying, the access to another resource who can provide advice and feedback when needed, and a motivator to keep you going throughout the year. Some students need this 'supervised learning' due to the lack of determination, but if you're aiming for a high ATAR anyway, you should have the drive and will power that is needed.

Good luck this year though.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
They're not 'important', but they never hurt (well admittedly, some can). If you have the motivation, determination, support from friends / parents / teachers, access to resources, intelligent and experienced teachers than it isn't required.

It really depends on the individual. Having a tutor provides the supervision when studying, the access to another resource who can provide advice and feedback when needed, and a motivator to keep you going throughout the year. Some students need this 'supervised learning' due to the lack of determination, but if you're aiming for a high ATAR anyway, you should have the drive and will power that is needed.

Good luck this year though.
Agreed.

HSC
depends on what sort of person u are. some people benefit a lot from tutors whereas others like me seem to waste time (and money) going to tutor when I don't really learn much.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
If you're not highly motivated then tutors might be able to increase your score from mediocre to near the top. Then again, most people don't need a score near the top to get into the course they want to. Personally I frown upon people who undergo huge amounts of tutoring, gain a very high ATAR and then go into some university course they never wanted in the first place just for the prestige or for the money. Actually, the only circumstance I would support tutoring wholeheartedly would be if their school teacher was stupendously crap and may jeopardise the student's potential (and only after having a serious talk with him about these things if he's that kind of person!).

erespall

Pirate Lord.. Arrr
HSC
If you're not highly motivated then tutors might be able to increase your score from mediocre to near the top. Then again, most people don't need a score near the top to get into the course they want to.
^ pretty much happened to me, i went from 7th to 1st in legal and 8th to 3rd in eco....

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
So if people couldn't afford one, they'd be stuffed for the HSC?

You'll find plenty of people who attained maximum ATARs did not once have a tutor.

vincent3g

A member
HSC
I didn't have a tutor, but I think if I did I would have most definitely gotten a better ATAR.
Mainly because of the resources that they give you. Since I looked at my friend's and when I studied with their tutors notes it was really different to how I had self studied before (in a good way that it made me study more 'correctly' for the HSC)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
So if people couldn't afford one, they'd be stuffed for the HSC?

You'll find plenty of people who attained maximum ATARs did not once have a tutor.
It's difficult to generalise. Some students are bright & highly motivated - and do not need tutors as they can self-teach. For the average student it cannot hurt to have tutors if they can afford it. If you need one and are too poor to have one, then it is simply a case of having the handicap of those who are financially disadvantaged. Who wants to be poor. But you have no choice as to the financial circumstances you are born into.

Those who are too poor can always benefit from the free help provided so freely on BOS.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)