Is HSC tuition fair? (1 Viewer)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
adambra said:
Why do you get a tutor? Motivation? Extra assistance? More time on one topic? Either way there is someone out there in teh same position who CANNOT AFFORD a tutor, and YOU will have the advantage over them. If the HSC is meant to only test ability and work-ethic then it is indeed a flawed system due to the advantage given to what are essentially, wealthier students.
No offense but come on.. you go to a private school (according to profile)...

adambra

HSC
_dhj_ said:
No offense but come on.. you go to a private school (according to profile)...
I go to a Catholic School. My parents could probably afford a tutor, though I think it an unnecessary burden. I am not well-off, nor am I complaining about people getting tutors. Just not gonna sit by while people make the untrue statement that private tuition doesn't give students an unfair advantage.

HSC
i never got a tutor for my HSC, not to put down people who got tutors but I'd rather get that 90s knowign that i worked hard gathering resources and organised myself, not a tutor

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
adambra said:
I go to a Catholic School. My parents could probably afford a tutor, though I think it an unnecessary burden. I am not well-off, nor am I complaining about people getting tutors. Just not gonna sit by while people make the untrue statement that private tuition doesn't give students an unfair advantage.
I think what's more important is to consider those who are "disadvantaged" rather than those who are unfairly advantaged. There are many, many ways you can gain an unfair advantage - probably the most common one is by being born smarter than someone else. It's those who do not have access to the basic educational opportunities that we need to be concerned for.

adambra

HSC
You're absolutely right, those issues are ones that need to be addressed. Students with tutors have an advantage, that's the way the world works. It's unfair but hey, get over it. However I disagree that being born smarter is an "unfair" advantage. That's what the HSC should test, natural ability and hard-work.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Perhaps you mean the HSC isn't a very effective way to differentiate then? Cus to me, a superior intellectual endowment is a pretty big advantage - not just in the HSC, but in life overall.

adambra

HSC
No what I'm saying is that being born smart isn't an unfair disadvantage in the context of the HSC, because that is what it is supposed to test. Ability. Not the size of student's parent's wallets.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Well.. I agree that it's unfair, but not significantly unfair compared to other factors which are often overlooked. For example, one of the biggest advantages a student can have, IMO, is getting good teachers. So, while I'm about as left-winged as you can go in political orientation, I still think that it isn't the monetary disparities that create the most "unfairness", but simply luck.

adambra

HSC
I agree economic disparities might not always create the most "unfairness", and that luck certainly does as well. Although one can argue that the guarantee of the best teachers is often the result of costly private education. And good to see another lefty on here :)

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Although one can argue that the guarantee of the best teachers is often the result of costly private education.
Yep. That is true. Although selective school teachers aren't bad either. :)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
SOME selective school teachers aren't bad.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
HSC tuition is a choice, whether by the student if they feel they might need it or the parents want their students to gain an extra advantage or not fall behind.
And certain financially disadvantaged people don't have these alternatives/choices available to them, so they'll just have to make do with *shock*... *gasp* independent learning.

Sure it's unfair, it's better to build a bridge and struggle over it.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Jago said:
SOME selective school teachers aren't bad.
lol true eh?

I think with teachers though, you've got to try and tell yourself you're lucky to have them. To be honest, teachers (including tutors) are more for motivation rather than teaching anything - in the end you end up learning from the textbook or summaries for every subject.

Last edited:

PiGMAN

HSC
Counterfeit said:
maybe if u don't get a good UAI its cuz your dumb, ever consider that?
...When i leave school im going to be a tutor, woo easy money :D:D
lol testify

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
*shrug* I know I'm dumb when it comes to Physics. I don't weep and cry about it and accept my fate - I got our old-fabulous-Physics-teacher-who-left-and-was-replaced-by-a-dumbass to tutor me. Is that wrong? Because, you know, most of us get tutors to supplement what our dumbass teachers asy, because dumbass teachers are dumbass and non-dumbass teachers are not. In a roundabout way, I don't give a fuck if you think I have an unfair advantage in Physics because I pay money to understand what I don't understand. :D

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
unfortunately, some teachers dont teach anything at all, they dont know how to control a class full of hyped-up senior boys or they just cant be bothered because they are lazy. this is where a tutor comes in and helps you with your work.

this is capitalist society and if you have the money, there is nothing wrong with tutors. ive seen really dodgy practises with regards to tutors doing whole tasks for kids, and its really obvious that its not the person's own work. you dont like? tough. if they need a tutor for something as easy as hsc english, they'll never amount to anything in life without help from someone else.

i only had a maths tutor this year (like lots of people) because my maths teacher didnt really know how to teach effectively.

7th Sign

HSC
tuition is not going to get you far...You are either smart or not smart....My parents got my tutors in two subjects bascically because my mums friends were the tutors...both were like 60 a hour....I can admit the english tutor helped me a lot I was like 87/141 and after been tutored for a bit I was 17/141....All you need is like sucess one books and notes and stuff and if you just do that its bascially like been tutored yetr tutors give you advanced help....I also think if you go to a good school you have a advantage....

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well, 7th Sign, if you think that ellipses are appropriate interruptions to sentances, then those tutors apparently didn't teach you a whole lot.

HSC
If you set up all the study yourself, resources, study plan, teach yourself from books, learn from websites then you find that you'll actually learn it alot better.

For example, I only really knew the entire process of rusting for chemistry not because of the vague concept the book gives me, but because I read very in detail what it does then when I got it more summarised I understood it. Some people are like that, they can't learn something unless they know how it works inside out. You'll find for some subjects that may be the case, often explaining means going in more detail than required to learn something really not that hard.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
If tutors weren't allowed, that would be highly communist, and communism is bad. Same thing with private schools. If you abolish all tutors and private schools and enforce strict standards to make sure all teachers are equal (???) it will still be unfair, because less intelligent people will be disadvantaged. There's not much you can do about that. At the moment, people who have more difficulty at school can get a tutor to help, making it less unfair.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)