Is it difficult to get into optometry (1 Viewer)

DMOS

HSC
I know that I need to do UMAT, but is optometry hard to get into?

Crylias

HSC
Not really, 96-97 ATAR + 160 UMAT is enuf - 160 was around 60 percentile for 2009 UMAT

btw, we're a povo faculty and we have shit staff

Last edited:

Crylias

HSC
they lie, shitty optom staff.

We even have those in the 95s, but they had a UMAT score in the high 160s i think - which is pretty low still.

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
medicine
dentistry
optometry
physio
pharm

that's the order of difficulty for the allied health sci imo (going on historical cutoffs/competition). big jump from dent->optom and optom->physio/pharm. so optom is right in the middle.i'd say optom is relatively easy to get into providing u don't choke on the umat or totally fuck up ur atar.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
medicine
dentistry
optometry
physio
pharm

that's the order of difficulty for the allied health sci imo (going on historical cutoffs/competition). big jump from dent->optom and optom->physio/pharm. so optom is right in the middle.i'd say optom is relatively easy to get into providing u don't choke on the umat or totally fuck up ur atar.
i think the jump from physio to pharm would be greater. i would say physio is on par with optometry.

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
i think the jump from physio to pharm would be greater. i would say physio is on par with optometry.
mmmm ur probably right there. now that i think about it there is quite a large jump between physio/pharm. but i'm not sure if physio is on par with optometry. all optom courses req umat but there are a few physio courses out there which don't even need it. plus optom usually requires at least 96ish atar. i'm only really familiar with med/dent though so don't quote me on this.

pharm is really very easy to get into these days. if u really want pharm u can go to charles darwin university and get in with ~80 atar.

YHTAC

HSC
Not really, 96-97 ATAR + 160 UMAT is enuf - 160 was around 60 percentile for 2009 UMAT

Just a question in regard to this, what is the Umat out of then if you need 160?

Crylias

HSC
160 out of 300 rofl - not too sure tho as no one really ever gets close to 300.. and u can get over 100 for each section?

195+ will get u near 99-100 percentile

160 - was about 60 percentile for my grade.

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
160 out of 300 rofl - not too sure tho as no one really ever gets close to 300.. and u can get over 100 for each section?

195+ will get u near 99-100 percentile

160 - was about 60 percentile for my grade.
the raw score is not out of anything.

195 will get you 98-99 percentile i think. you need much higher for 100 percentile (e.g. a friend of mine got 200 last year and got 99 percentile i believe?) 99 percentile is a very wide raw mark range in the umat.

whoisthis

HSC
N/A
Is UNSW the only uni that offers Optometry?
i think there is also flinders uni in SA.

there is a post grad course at melbourne as well. but yeah, i'm pretty sure there's only 2 "undergrad" schools. i put undergrad in quotes there because technically flinders is grad entry, except you are guaranteed entry into the grad optom program providing you can maintain a 5.0 GPA in medical science (in vision science) which is relatively easy. i'm fairly sure flinders will be slightly easier to get into than UNSW, seeing as how it is a brand new course and the uni is less established. but honestly prestige does not matter when it comes to the health sciences.

hope that helped.

jules.09

HSC

Really? I just had a friend in my year miss out on Optometry '10; she got an ATAR of 97 and an '09 umat score of 160 i believe... I think they said the cut off was 98.xx in '10 at the welcome too.

azzi021

HSC
umat isnt required for optometry in Queensland

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
easy to get into.

Shitty salary. Also monotonous job. Try shadowing an optom for a day or two.

azzi021

HSC
easy to get into.

Shitty salary. Also monotonous job. Try shadowing an optom for a day or two.
do you know the difference in salary if establishing private practice? thats what Im afraid of, completing my degree than loathing the job it gets me... better be rewarding.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
do you know the difference in salary if establishing private practice? thats what Im afraid of, completing my degree than loathing the job it gets me... better be rewarding.
Once u graduate, your starting salary tends to be around $45K to $50K in some places. Max is about 90 to 100k. The Best benefits u'll get after u graduate is a $1000-$1500 limit on buying any glasses/lens every year as u work at say opsm. Other than that, salary's shit, job's just real boring.

Problem with establishing your own practice is that just like pharmacists, it costs heaps of money to start the business up (Just rent alone, you're looking at $3000-$4000 every 2 weeks). Recently, there's also been so many private entrepreneurs starting opto shops and getting optometrists in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)