Is it illegal to hide your overqualification??? (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
Say you are applying for a small company and you have a PHD.
Can you hide your PHD and your masters degree and only tell them of your bachelors degree?

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
i really dont see why you would apply for a small company when you have attained your PhD

this guy asks so many dumb questions

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Of course you can hide it, there's no obligation to tell them (unless of course they specifically ask you to declare everything). However, then you've got about three years of your life you may have to account for...

Alkanes

HSC
You must be stupid to do this. So all those years have gone to waste?

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
there are some positions which you can be overqualified for and they deliberately will not hire you as a result. dont ask me why cuz i have nfi

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
there are some positions which you can be overqualified for and they deliberately will not hire you as a result. dont ask me why cuz i have nfi
Usually cause they think you're gonna only use it as a 'stepping stone', and not a 'career'. So when you leave in a few months (when you would undoubtedly get a better job), they'll have to hire someone else as well.

Well, that's how it is in law - law students, most of whom want to be lawyers, would usually get rejected from 'office juniors' or 'legal secretary' roles in law firms, mainly because they'd only use it as a 'stepping stone'.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Usually cause they think you're gonna only use it as a 'stepping stone', and not a 'career'. So when you leave in a few months (when you would undoubtedly get a better job), they'll have to hire someone else as well.

Well, that's how it is in law - law students, most of whom want to be lawyers, would usually get rejected from 'office juniors' or 'legal secretary' roles in law firms, mainly because they'd only use it as a 'stepping stone'.
makes sense i guess.

DforDANNY

HSC
Uni Grad
I've read on the whirlpool forums that overqualification does make it harder to find a graduate position in Australia. I'll find this thread and add the link later

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
No but why hide your qualifications which may give you an upper advantage/differ you from other applicants?

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
you havent even started your undergraduate degree so why are you worrying?

Smoke Eater

HSC
N/A
It's not illegal unless you've signed a legal binding document that you're declaring you don't in-fact have a PhD or whatever degree you may have. It's common to dumb down resumes for dumb downed jobs.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
It's not illegal unless you've signed a legal binding document that you're declaring you don't in-fact have a PhD or whatever degree you may have. It's common to dumb down resumes for dumb downed jobs.
Even then it's not illegal, that is a civil contract, ie a non-legal rule.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I know people who have had to hide over qualifications to get a job but then when found out they get snubbed. Got to the point where someone even asked to have his name taken off the university website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)