Is it just me or is everyone like this as well in year 11? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I hear so many people saying how stressful and heavy the workload is in year 11. But, I think the workload we have in year 11 isn't actually that much. In fact, it is much less than in year 10. Is it just me?

Or past HSC "ers" are just trying to scare us?

Flop21

HSC
I didn't feel any change in workload. But I slacked a lot during HSC.

RyanT7

HSC
I feel like it's a bigger workload, I guess it depends on what subjects you undertake

WildestDreams

HSC
Yeah! I thought it was just me! Great to see other people feel the same way.
Honestly, the only homework I'm getting is for maths. Oh and phys. but thats like a weekly thing.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Just a bit more studying and focusing, instead of procrastinating.

Just have a good work ethic ;)

calamebe

HSC
Well for me it is a fair bit because I do 14 units, but I still have heaps of free time tbh. I agree with you.

YuriqueS

HSC
The workload for me generally seemed to have increase... Mostly because I have maths every single day now and we get homework everyday. My one is more brought upon myself since I also introduced going over my notes for the day and also minimum 3 hours of work. Still leaves me 2-3 hours of spare time. Unlike yr 10 where it was 1-1 1/2 hrs work XD

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think how much your workload is is often a matter of perception and standard, I mean, workload can encompass studying ahead of the class (that's partially why people go tutoring) so how much work you set for yourself beyond assigned homework and how much you want to get out of your schooling and of course your academic prowess will all have a contributing effect to your perception of your workload.

Note: HSCers are not trying to scare you, I think they have better things to do than scaring year 11s, particularly when they are in uni and have enough uni stuff on their plate to worry about scaring seniors or if they are not in uni, enough things at work to worry about or other things in life to worry about than scaring high school students. At least for those who have a grown up mindset.

the_matrix

HSC
It depends on your teachers and your own attitude to studying. Teachers at my school give out moderate homework (of course a bit more than year 10 workload) but the rest of the heavy workload and stress comes from making study notes. Almost every single student at my school makes study notes and it usually takes more time than the school's homework (since study notes are supposed to be succinct and not full of brain/textbook dump).

It also depends on your brain development. When I move from Y10 to Y11, I magically understood every concept in year 10 (I tried really hard in year 10 but I just couldn't full grasp all concepts). Then i took Y11 too seriously and found it very stressful. Now I'm doing the HSC and although the workload is greater than Y11, I find that I'm able to manage my time much much better and still maintain decent marks without having to stress out that much.

tl;dr many factors come into play and it ultimately depends on the student themselves (how fast they learn, how committed they are to studying, time management, extra curriculars, etc)

wenq

HSC
No, I'm inclined to agree with you. As you can probably tell from the range of responses, it definitely changes student to student (based on what subjects, amount of effort etc).

The main clincher for Yr 11, I think, are the free periods. Breaking the routine and having uninterrupted time within school hours to catch up on work feels really good. Also, you get the free periods without necessarily having the same stress associated with Yr 12 as to whether you're using your time effectively.

Though if you're feeling too relaxed, a similar attitude probably won't do you any good in HSC year. Exam block is stressful, and for good reason.

si2136

HSC
N/A
No, I'm inclined to agree with you. As you can probably tell from the range of responses, it definitely changes student to student (based on what subjects, amount of effort etc).

The main clincher for Yr 11, I think, are the free periods. Breaking the routine and having uninterrupted time within school hours to catch up on work feels really good. Also, you get the free periods without necessarily having the same stress associated with Yr 12 as to whether you're using your time effectively.

Though if you're feeling too relaxed, a similar attitude probably won't do you any good in HSC year. Exam block is stressful, and for good reason.
Have only 3 frees in total, all of them are the last period.

oneiric__

HSC
At my school I had my half yearly's in week 3 and I don't have my yearly's until week 8 next term. So I have no assessments for like a term! Tbh i'm kinda disappointed in year 11 because I was expecting a lot of school work, but in truth I get really busy for about 3 weeks and then I have heaps of time doing nothing. It gets so annoying!

RyanT7

HSC
Tbh i'm kinda disappointed in year 11 because I was expecting a lot of school work, but in truth I get really busy for about 3 weeks and then I have heaps of time doing nothing. It gets so annoying!

wat

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Workload the same. Expectations and pressure placed on by myself made the workload look scarier.

KotaBear99

HSC
I found that I worried WAY too much about my Preliminary assessments and marks - it doesn't affect your HSC. I wish I had of been able to tell myself that earlier. Year 11 in comparison is MUCH easier. I'd rather Year 11 music & Drama over HSC...Especially Drama...Doing modules + IPs and GP's is killing me.

Only 12 more weeks...and then I break for exams. *breathes heavily*

HSC
To me it was a bigger workload compared to my previous school years. And people kept on saying Year 12 is a much harder workload. And to quote my teacher "harder than uni."

Still, don't take Year 11 for granted if you think it's a breeze or something. Be cautious, be prepared.

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
Many factors to consider:

- You could be potentially doing subjects that are too easy (?) for you --> You aren't being challenged as other people are
- You could be intelligent to begin with. A little work equates to someone else's many hours spent on studying
- Depends on your cohort. If everyone is competitive as hell, guaranteed workload will feel like a lot because you need to study enough to "beat" other students. Then you wonder, how much is enough? Everyone (in my school at least) wanted to be at the top, so majority of the work came from extra studying (not just homework)
- Depends on your school. Teachers won't give home work out, but might be implied that you do independent readings. E.g. for english, only real homework was the hand in a practise essay. But if you wanted to do well, you should probably do extra reading to get a better grasp of the modules, etc
- You are potentially not studying enough, if that's possible :S
- You're capable of taking on more than others. To you, it's a breeze
- You're the type that chills majority of the year and then crams right before exams lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)