Is it normal to be overwhelmed? (1 Viewer)

Blacklisted

HSC
So the past few months (post HSC) I got used to having no purpose in life.
My school also wasnt the greatest at enforcing hw/study so I got by high school without doing much.

Now that i see 4 days a week at Uni (although 2 of them are like half days) and looking at course outlines and homework and all that.

I feel overwhelmed by the need to juggle work, uni, homework, social life, my personal time, and all that.

Is it normal because UNi just started, and I'll ease as it all works out?

A few more questions?

-How often should i be visiting Blackboard?
-Is it normal to be demoralized because I'll end up being behind because I want to switch programs for Semester 2? (Figured out I should pursue what I want and not what parents wanted)
-How much should i be studying?

IamBread

HSC
It's very normal to be overwhelmed. Uni is a lot different from anything else in your life so far (most likely). Most people move away from home and have to look after themselves more, uni is very big. It'll pass, don't worry, it's normal.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
you will get used to it bro. having friends who are getting used to it as well helps

enoilgam

HSC
Yes, it is perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed on the first day/week of university. The key to uni is to get on top of things quickly and spread them out as much as possible. I remember in my first semester, I had three seperate 2000 word assignments due in a 9 week period for a single subject. Added to that I also had 2x2000 word essays plus a 1500 word report in two of my other subjects. I had my "how the hell am I supposed to do this" moment but I got on top of them quickly and it turned out to be way easier then I expected.

Blacklisted

HSC
I was considering moving out as well, but right now in this situation as well as being short on money already doesnt work out for me

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Reality is that first week of uni should not be stressful. You shouldn't even be doing more than 1 hours of studies during this time. Your feeling of being overwhelmed is just your own fear of the unknown. It should wear out with 1 semester.

Unless you really need the money, it may be a good idea to 'take a break' from your job if you keep feeling that way.
-How often should i be visiting Blackboard?
As long as you need, whenever you need to download or retrieve stuff your tutor post on it.

-Is it normal to be demoralized because I'll end up being behind because I want to switch programs for Semester 2? (Figured out I should pursue what I want and not what parents wanted)
Credit transfer may be available, otherwise can catch up during summer semester. At worst just do an extra semester.
-How much should i be studying?
If you are aiming for D/HD then it will be like a full time job - 40 hours per week (this includes class time).
If you are aiming low D/credit then probably half of that will do, maybe slighly more during assessment periods.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
If you are aiming for D/HD then it will be like a full time job - 40 hours per week (this includes class time).
If you are aiming low D/credit then probably half of that will do, maybe slighly more during assessment periods.
Does this include Engo? Because there are around 23 contact hours per week for us.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I have to admit that its been overwhelming for me - pretty big transition from high school. The travel is tedious and I have to read a lot.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Just do the work and you'll be fine.

I was talking to a friend and he was like: "Hey, weren't you like five weeks behind on the maths tutorial problems at one stage?" And I still got 93 in that subject.

Point is, being behind is only demoralising if you want it to be. If you're going to switch programs, you can't do it until after an entire year anyway, iirc. So you have to put a good solid effort anyway.

You should visit Blackboard I'd say... daily, ideally. And you should be doing your weekly tute problems. And then if you do that, just your regular end-of-semester cramming should give you a good mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)