Is it normal to give up studying on the HSC when offered early entry? (1 Viewer)

santavself

HSC
I've gotten early entry into a university I like and I've not studied since the start of the end of last term because I feel as if I'm done with the HSC, and I don't see myself succeeding past the ATAR requirement for the course I got into. Now there's only 11 or so days left and I really could care less about studying for the HSC. Is this normal?

icycledough

HSC
I mean, there's 2 different perspectives. If you're sure you can get the minimum ATAR needed for guaranteed entry into your course, then sure, the same amount of study won't be needed. But at the same time, it's just a good feeling for yourself to get an ATAR you would have aimed for before your exams and being able to achieve it. You also want to consider that if you perform to a sub-standard level because of your perception to get the ATAR needed for your course, then you could be affecting your cohort's performance, which I'm sure you don't want to happen at the end of the day.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
it's normal to feel that way, last year on the HSC fb discussion page, the ppl who received early entry offers seemed very very nonchalant about the HSC, even people I know personally stopped giving a shit about HSC once they received early entry, which is understandable because why would you care/work so hard if you already got what you wanted. but that's the thing, not everyone knows what they want, some students are deadset on law or psych or engineering, and so when the early offer comes through there's no further reason to try in the HSC. but many ppl don't know what they want so even if they have some early offers up their sleeve, they might still want to get a high ATAR and consequently widen their options

either way, no one should feel ashamed abt their attitude towards HSC, it's definitely normal to not care once you have early offers but it's also normal to still care

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
Also isn’t it true, if you don’t pay the UAC Application, you don’t get offers? Or can you still get offers without the fee?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Also isn’t it true, if you don’t pay the UAC Application, you don’t get offers? Or can you still get offers without the fee?
This is correct. UAC states the following:

If you don't pay the processing charge, your application can't be processed and you won't be made an offer.

santavself

HSC
it's normal to feel that way, last year on the HSC fb discussion page, the ppl who received early entry offers seemed very very nonchalant about the HSC, even people I know personally stopped giving a shit about HSC once they received early entry, which is understandable because why would you care/work so hard if you already got what you wanted. but that's the thing, not everyone knows what they want, some students are deadset on law or psych or engineering, and so when the early offer comes through there's no further reason to try in the HSC. but many ppl don't know what they want so even if they have some early offers up their sleeve, they might still want to get a high ATAR and consequently widen their options

either way, no one should feel ashamed abt their attitude towards HSC, it's definitely normal to not care once you have early offers but it's also normal to still care
Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty clear headed on what I've wanted to do, and if I always want to switch down the line I'd be happy applying for a course transfer in my university. Would you say I should at least study a little as to not completely bomb shell my HSC and get a mystery mark, and if I were to even get a mystery mark would I still have successfully completed the HSC or would it not meet the criteria as the offer I've received offers me entry as long as I successfully complete the HSC.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty clear headed on what I've wanted to do, and if I always want to switch down the line I'd be happy applying for a course transfer in my university. Would you say I should at least study a little as to not completely bomb shell my HSC and get a mystery mark, and if I were to even get a mystery mark would I still have successfully completed the HSC or would it not meet the criteria as the offer I've received offers me entry as long as I successfully complete the HSC.
that's good you seem to have a clear direction and alternatives in mind

I would encourage you to study at least a little yes, you don't need to grind many hours a day or exhaust yourself but still study when you can, it will definitely pay off. you have only a few weeks left anyway, you might as well just give it your all and after HSC you won't have to study again for months, but that small effort you put in will reflect in your ATAR and even though ATAR isn't very important to you at this stage you might still feel happy when you see it

so I did some research and basically a mystery mark it looks like this on your ATAR notice "30 or less" but this means you still successfully completed the HSC. but if you don't meet HSC requirements (e.g. you didn't sit exams for 10 units and didn't clear this up with NESA) then your notice will say "Not Eligible"

so yes basically if you get mystery mark you still completed the HSC, but honestly it takes MORE effort to get a mystery mark than an ATAR over 50

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
that's good you seem to have a clear direction and alternatives in mind

I would encourage you to study at least a little yes, you don't need to grind many hours a day or exhaust yourself but still study when you can, it will definitely pay off. you have only a few weeks left anyway, you might as well just give it your all and after HSC you won't have to study again for months, but that small effort you put in will reflect in your ATAR and even though ATAR isn't very important to you at this stage you might still feel happy when you see it

so I did some research and basically a mystery mark it looks like this on your ATAR notice "30 or less" but this means you still successfully completed the HSC. but if you don't meet HSC requirements (e.g. you didn't sit exams for 10 units and didn't clear this up with NESA) then your notice will say "Not Eligible"

so yes basically if you get mystery mark you still completed the HSC, but honestly it takes MORE effort to get a mystery mark than an ATAR over 50

:tennisclap:

laterz laterz

HSC
i honestly think getting a mystery mark is harder than getting a 99.95 lmao

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)