• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it ok to move up to Advanced english After the school Exams on AOS during term 1? (1 Viewer)

tidebringer

HSC
Not sure if i can ask this in this part of the forum but anyways,

I'm a student who just started year 12, and i used to do Advanced English in my Preliminary course but then got dropped Standard due to my prelim exam marks... sadly. To be honest i was being lazy in semester two of year 11 after getting my half yearly report. I came first in the year for english advanced in semester 1 which were related to Area of Study exams etc. However i sort of slacked out and did the preliminary exam poorly and was dropped to Standard for Year 12. So i was wondering, if i put all my effort in now and get good marks in the school assessment task for Area of Study in Term 1 of year 12 and move back up to Advanced English (Which is possible for me at my school as my Head Teacher of English did say that by seeing the result of the first assessment tasks he will drop students in Advanced to Standard and put some in Standard Up) will it be alright to do that? As in moving back to advanced after the Area of Study.I don think it wont really affect me in study will it? I mean since its before we start our modules so ye... Suggestions please...

deswa1

HSC
Re: Is it ok to move up to Advanced english After the school Exams on AOS during term

Wait... I don't get the question... If your school will let you then definitely, definetly, definitely take the oppurtunity and move up. You wouldn't be disadvantaged in terms of what you've learnt (because AOS is common for both) but the aligning is way better in advanced and its not much harder than standard anyway

tidebringer

HSC
Re: Is it ok to move up to Advanced english After the school Exams on AOS during term

Oh Sorry if you could not understand but what i wanted to ask was will it disadvantage me in moving back up to Advanced English at the end of term 1.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Oh Sorry if you could not understand but what i wanted to ask was will it disadvantage me in moving back up to Advanced English at the end of term 1.
No, not at all.

such_such

HSC

Wouldn't you rather just stay at the Advanced course for the whole of year 12? You could just complain/get put on probation.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Do whatever you can to get back into Adv, honestly if you came 1st half yearly year 11 they can't argue you don't have the aptitude for it. And try and get back in from the get go if you can.

gleeek

HSC

Just ace this first assessment and they will move you up! Good luck :)

elissajean

HSC
Uni Grad

If you're able to do it, move up - the AOS is the same for Standard and Advanced, so you won't be disadvantaged,* and Advanced scales up so it's more beneficial if you're able to handle the course requirements (which isn't really that much work than Standard!!!).**
Hope this helps!

*The Advanced course is focused on deeper learning and more critical analysis than Standard, but they will revise the content before the HSC exams, and you will develop those skills in the other modules anyway, which you can then apply to your belonging responses.
** Sorry for the extra exclamation points - it annoys me that students in Standard, who still have to put in quite a lot of work and study time to do well, are disadvantaged because the subject scales down. Grr! I'm not a fan of the way they calculate the ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)