• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it possible to cycle to UWS? (1 Viewer)

abigailvoraxis

Kinetically Enthused
HSC
As much as I'm an advocate of public transport, getting to parramatta campus via train or bus is an expensive pain in the rear...
Does anyone else bike it from parramatta station? Is it even possible without being collected by a semi? If so, how long's it take and what's the terrain like?

Like hell I'm going to pay for a bus 5 days a week.

Anything would help

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
looks like you've got something to try out tomorrow

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
abigailvoraxis said:
As much as I'm an advocate of public transport, getting to parramatta campus via train or bus is an expensive pain in the rear...
Does anyone else bike it from parramatta station? Is it even possible without being collected by a semi? If so, how long's it take and what's the terrain like?

Like hell I'm going to pay for a bus 5 days a week.

Anything would help
It's a bit far and prob around a 20-25+min cycle from Parra station, hav fun cycling along James Ruse Drive. http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&...33.814882,151.01429&spn=0.01494,0.039911&z=15 Get a concession card and scab money?

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
I've heard some people tried walking, but its still pretty far. Probably take you about half hour of cycling and that's up and down hill. Probably good though, if you're up for the exercise. But bring deoderant incase you smell when you get to class.

Otherwise, I'd say give up and take the bus, its not that bad, especially if you're late for a class. It takes 10 minutes by bus and costs 72 cents per trip, but that's if you buy the Blue TravelTen bus ticket which lets you go on the bus 10 times for $7.20 (if you have concession).

Snooty

HSC
Eh, isnt station to campus like 5 sections (brown travel 10), which is like 12 dollars?

kitty28

I don't think its a good idea to cycle from the station to UWS Parra. It would be a bit dangerous seeing as James Ruse Dr & Victoria Rd are so busy, especially during peak hour.

Probably best to just catch the train/bus or maybe car pool?

Snooty

HSC
nope the station is about 10mins away by bus.

HSC
ive done that HEAPS of times... well not heaps but i have done it... walking is about 15 min if u take back streets... riding would be heaps easier... you dont have to cross any major road so i dont know why people are talking about the ride on James ruse... victory road is an over road and there is a walk bridge which u can ride across if u are going to the south campus...

HSC
snooty... if you get off the bus at shorts corner... the stop for the north campus... u can use the blue travel ten then use the walk bridge to get to the south campus..

abigailvoraxis

Kinetically Enthused
HSC
it took about 10 minutes following the bus route from the station and it can be sliced by one or 2 if you skip the overpass (probably not smart)...
The best part is zooming past the buses going the same way as you as you skip intersections. Another fine example of unsafe riding, brought to you by in idiot.

Now be good and wear a helmet

Last edited:

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
abigailvoraxis said:
it took about 10 minutes following the bus route from the station
How is that humanly possible when it takes 10 minutes to go through the bus route by bus? Unless you're riding at 60 km/hr and going right through all traffic lights without stopping.. :confused:

abigailvoraxis

Kinetically Enthused
HSC
slowarsebusses

Because the bus iS SLOW.

Also, the bus rarely ever gets up to the speed limit without having to stop at traffic lights. Try counting the number of minutes you've spent in total waiting at the 5 or 6 odd traffic lights.

Though a high disregard for life may also come into the equation...

Timbo650

Supposed to be studying
HSC
N/A
Has nobody thought of the bike paths that run along the river?

Basically, they start at the Riverbank Centre (ie the the old David Jones, whatever it is now called...) and head east, along the river.
After a bit of mucking about near the Macarthur Street bridge, basically you come out at the River Bar.

Even departing Parra railway station and riding through the back streets will get you there without having to go near Victoria Road.

abigailvoraxis

Kinetically Enthused
HSC
Okay,
The proper and final answer, tried and tested for a year! :)

South campus (the big campus)
If you get off from parra station, follow main bus route road until you reach the first right hand turn before river (Phillip St)

Then there will be a small alleyway on the left with a sign saying UWS, and a bike picture. you go over the bridge, then take a right at thomas st.

From there it's straight ahead all the way, going under the bridge on the right hand side of the road (you cant miss it) and coming out at river bar.

OR

North campus
if you just take a left before the end of Thomas st up Pemberton St, you can jump the highway safely on the islands and quickly get to north campus.

And for gods sake, once you're on the long straight, IGNORE THE BIKE SIGNS! they take you on the scenic route down next to the river, which has a ** massive incline and decline on both sides.
Jerks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)