Is it possible to do a Diploma and Bachelor's degree at the same time? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm sure I've read the answer to this somewhere else and I tried a search on here and various other places yet I couldn't find the answer. I'm thinking of doing a diploma at the same time as doing engineering as I would really like to learn a language or two on the side. So my two questions are: is it allowed, and would study pressure make it impossible to achieve a distinction average?

Otherwise, what levels of German would be offered in the summer semester? The handbook seems to be saying that it's offered only in the main semesters but I've heard of people doing languages at summer school and so I'm wondering if it's only because the summer semester's already finished and they won't update it until the end of the year. My plan (or hope, at least) is either to load up my timetable with a diploma and engineering degree, or attempt around 3 German courses (one in the first summer or two if it can fit) then another two in the general education slots.

ashllis92

HSC
Why German? Out of curiosity? Wouldn't an Asian language have better implications for a career?
Having said that, I learnt German and it's freaking awesome haha! It also takes a heaps shorter length of time to learn, I goofed off in German at highschool for 5 years and my German isn't too far from fluent...

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
I had no idea this diploma existed! I may even be interested! Chinese studies, however :D

puffiijamii

HSC
I keep starting new threads without browsing the rest first *looks at new thread asking the same question*

> 98 ATAR? :( damn. What about if I'm doing B Comm / B Science? My timetable is only 14 hours a week, does it still count as "overload" if I take a diploma in Chinese? And will I still need to obtain faculty permission? :S

dawdlex3

HSC
You are only allowed a maximum of 24 units of credit per semester. Thus, if you are already enrolled in a bachelor's degree, you wouldn't have any remaining units of credit to complete your diploma at the same time. You can use your Gen Ed slots to do German, or simply do a German course offered by the UNSW Institute of Languages at the following link (it's not a diploma though):
UNSW Institute of Languages-English courses testing training Sydney Australia- Learn German

HSC
Hmm... interesting. I just fell short of 98 ATAR, so from what I remember I'll have to do very well this year if I am to get permission to overload next year. If I don't do well enough, I might try one of those institute courses. Anyone know about the summer semester?

ashllis92: I've learned a small chunk of Japanese, but it isn't really relevant in the end excepting work in transnational corporations or companies that deal with Japanese companies. I want to learn a language that will be able to take me overseas (perhaps even to work for a few years). Germany's a cool country so I thought I may as well learn the language so I can be comfortable in a Euro country other than England. With that reasoning, and if you've ever been to Japan, you'll know why I gave up on Japanese ;). I am part Japanese, but Euro-looking trash like me will only face racism there. Also, German isn't as difficult as, say, Arab or Asian languages.

sikhman: If I understand you correctly, then it may end up being possible to simply pick up an extra subject in the first semester of Year 2, and perhaps the first semester of Year 3, too. I could learn German to the intermediate level that way with the help of the General Ed slots :D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)