Is it possible to get a decent ATAR with this subject combo? (1 Viewer)

joey9911

HSC
N/A
- English (Standard)
- 2u Mathematics
- Geography
- Business Studies
- IDT (VET Course)

They are all 2 unit courses, one of them is a category B course (IDT).

I am in the top 5 ranks in all subjects except English. (I am rank 1 in IDT and I am absolutely smashing that course. Got >90% in every assessment task in Prelim).

If I can score approx. 90 in my HSC mark for each course, Is it possible to achieve my goal of a 90+ ATAR?

Also: Is IDT a decent scaling subject? Even if I come rank 1, and score really well in my HSC exam, would I still get a good ATAR even though it's not the best scaling subject?

Thank you.

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
You can definitely achieve a 90+ ATAR by getting in the high 80s for all of your subjects. However, for English Standard and IDT, this will require you to achieve a mark near the top in the state.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes.

Although if you can switch Standard English for Advanced English it would be better for your ATAR.

joey9911

HSC
N/A
You can definitely achieve a 90+ ATAR by getting in the high 80s for all of your subjects. However, for English Standard and IDT, this will require you to achieve a mark near the top in the state.
For English Standard, near the top in the state is close to impossible for me. I've always been a weak person in relation to English. For IDT, I will inevitably get near the top in the state. I'm just gifted with that course. I've smashed every single assessment task to date.

joey9911

HSC
N/A
Yes.

Although if you can switch Standard English for Advanced English it would be better for your ATAR.
I am doing my HSC in 2016, isn't that too late? :\ But I will try my best in Standard English!, I will try to achieve at least within the top 5 ranks in my cohort.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I am doing my HSC in 2016, isn't that too late? :\ But I will try my best in Standard English!, I will try to achieve at least within the top 5 ranks in my cohort.
Oh probably a bit too late mate.

Good luck for your studies!

joey9911

HSC
N/A
Oh probably a bit too late mate.

Good luck for your studies!
Thank you :D

Even if it wasn't too late, I wouldn't want to do Adv. English anyway. I know my strengths, English is definitely not one! I realise doing Adv. Eng is better for my ATAR, but I personally believe doing Std. English is better for my ATAR since that's a subject I know if I try hard enough, I could come out with a decent HSC mark.

If I were to do as you suggested, Adv. english, that will only place a burden throughout my hsc year since I know that is a subject I need to sacrifice A LOT to do well in. Therefore I think I made the correct decision by choosing Std. English.

DepressedPenguino

HSC
Thank you :D

Even if it wasn't too late, I wouldn't want to do Adv. English anyway. I know my strengths, English is definitely not one! I realise doing Adv. Eng is better for my ATAR, but I personally believe doing Std. English is better for my ATAR since that's a subject I know if I try hard enough, I could come out with a decent HSC mark.

If I were to do as you suggested, Adv. english, that will only place a burden throughout my hsc year since I know that is a subject I need to sacrifice A LOT to do well in. Therefore I think I made the correct decision by choosing Std. English.
One of my biggest HSC regrets was choosing Standard English. If you can achieve a high band 5 in Standard English, you are more than capable of doing Advanced English. The skills required in both std and advanced are essentially the same. But i guess it is too late for you to switch D: (I was in the same position as you).

joey9911

HSC
N/A
One of my biggest HSC regrets was choosing Standard English. If you can achieve a high band 5 in Standard English, you are more than capable of doing Advanced English. The skills required in both std and advanced are essentially the same. But i guess it is too late for you to switch D: (I was in the same position as you).
Did you end up getting a high ATAR rank? Or did you not do so well? If so, was it because of Standard English that your ATAR wasn't too good? If it was good (80+), what subject(s) contributed to that ATAR?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)