Is it possible to get a high E3/E4 without tutoring? (1 Viewer)

TeheeCat

HSC
Hi all, so I want to plan ahead on how I will prepare for HSC subjects, particularly 3U maths.

Tutoring is not an option for me due to family financial issues. However, more than half of my extension class go to tutoring for math. :/ I honestly feel very initimidated by this and I'm worried I won't be able to keep up with them as they all have an advantage. Also, my teacher isn't the best at explaining content. He isn't completely incompetent but just not the best at explaining concepts.

As it stands, I have to self study and be independent to do the best I can. So:

1) Is it possible to achieve a high E3 or even an E4 purely from working hard and self studying? Or is tutoring required? (which I can't even afford in the first place). Could I even compete with my classmates who go tutoring or am I just at a complete disadvantage?

2) If it is possible, how should I go about studying for 3U? Even if it's not possible, I would still like to know some tips to at least do the best I can.

3) What is the cut off for E4 and band 6 in 2U? I know it depends on the exam's difficulty each year but I would like to know a general guideline of what I should try to aim for.

Thank you so much! :)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all, so I want to plan ahead on how I will prepare for HSC subjects, particularly 3U maths.

Tutoring is not an option for me due to family financial issues. However, more than half of my extension class go to tutoring for math. :/ I honestly feel very initimidated by this and I'm worried I won't be able to keep up with them as they all have an advantage. Also, my teacher isn't the best at explaining content. He isn't completely incompetent but just not the best at explaining concepts.

1) Is it possible to achieve a high E3 or even an E4 purely from working hard and self studying? Or is tutoring required? (which I can't even afford in the first place). Could I even compete with my classmates who go tutoring or am I just at a complete disadvantage?

2) If it is possible, how should I go about studying for 3U? Even if it's not possible, I would still like to know some tips to at least do the best I can.

3) What is the cut off for E4 and band 6 in 2U? I know it depends on the exam's difficulty each year but I would like to know a general guideline of what I should try to aim for.

Of course it is, as with anymore that works hard.
I've heard the guy that topped 4u maths in 2015 or 2016 did it with NO tutoring, so there's no reason why you cannot get an E4.
However I base this on the fact that you are somewhat competent in mathematics.

Studying for 3u, first learn the theory from classroom and from textbooks, then go to past papers for questions. This allows you to identify any 'special' tricks or methods that are used in HSC questions and also allows you to identify your weak points, as HSC questions are very different to textbook ones.

If you wanna get a general gist of the E4 cutoff type in rawmarks database into google and go to the 2u section. Usually its around low 80s for a band 6 in 2u and mid 70s for 3u IIRC

Heresy

HSC

1) Absolutely! I don't think anyone can achieve a Band E3 or E4 without putting in consistent effort and hard work (especially in the Math Extensions). Instead of tutoring, whenever you have trouble with a question and/or topic - ask members on here - usually someone will help and give an explanation as to why you arrive at the answer.

2) Not impossible. I recommend putting together topic summaries from both 2U and MX1 to revise over throughout the year before exams and especially before the HSC. Also try to ask your teachers for the 2U and MX1 topic schedules as you can go ahead and learn content before you get in class and can ask more insightful questions (I myself have gone ahead and have almost started studying for exams in 5 or 6 weeks!)

When you're in trouble watch Eddie Woo's video's on YouTube - he generally explains concepts really well and can be a massive help when studying for exams:
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...LLT1oUSO_0FQ&usg=AOvVaw2VT3Z-7d4xyIUmWLyNBVGK

3) MX1: E4 is anywhere from 60-70 out of 70
2U: 90-100 out of 100

I hope this helps! Good luck and I wish you all the best :smile:

Last edited:

maths314

HSC
Uni Grad
100% it is possible. I ranked in 3U never having had tutoring for maths, and I'm not a genius at it, I just put in consistent smart work. My advice is to just go through as many past papers as possible close to exams, do all the textbook examples and know the theory well!

What's good about 2U/3U maths is that it is very easy to route learn content and questions. Whilst I would not recommend this, and you should know the theory and have solid foundational knowledge, once you start doing a lot of past papers, you find that there are patterns in questions and solutions, and you should take note of this.

That being said, there is no harm in getting a tutor if you think you can benefit from that. Just for me, I didn't really need a tutor.

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
yea i did it.

i got 92 without any tutoring, just practicing past papers and keeping up at school

fluffchuck

HSC
yes it's possible, i know many people that have got 99 & 100 without tutoring

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes I've never been tutored in anything and you can definitely get a high E4.

Just revise the content, make sure you understand it, and practice questions.

You can view raw mark cutoffs on rawmarks.info.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

1) Yea should be allg! I didn't have a tutor for 3u and came 1st + got 99/100 so just study a lot and understand the content :)

2) Once you have the basics down then just do past papers because it develops your knowledge way more than the textbook... The exam is pretty repetitive each year so yeah!

3) I think high 70s or low 80s depending on the year?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I know plenty of people who got an E3/E4 without having a tutor so it is certainly possible to achieve.

TeheeCat

HSC
Thank you all for your responses and encouragement! :) I feel much better knowing that it's definitely possible. To those who achieved it without tutoring, congrats! I will be sure to listen to all your tips and hopefully my hard work will pay off~

However I base this on the fact that you are somewhat competent in mathematics.
Well I guess I am competent in a sense that I performed higher than class average during preliminary, but not sure if that means a lot considering our averages are pretty low. I definitely have lots of room for improvement and I'm very determined to work even harder :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)