Is it really required to have done Music 2 or Grade 6 music theory? (1 Viewer)

MrTammoth

HSC
Hey guys, i just wanted to ask that is it really that necessary to do grade 6 music theory?
I've completed recently my AMEB Grade 7 piano exam and received A honours which is nothing lol, but just wanted to ask since i'm fresh and contain 0 knowledge of theory and i really want to do a bachelor of music perf at usyd should i learn the all the music theory up to grade 6?

Fiction

HSC
Depending on what course (AMEB wise), you need theory for 8th grade anyways, and seeing how you seem to be passionate about music, I think you would go for grades :) Seeing how AMEB exams are all just extracurricular, I don't think it's necessary, however I think it would be an advantage to know theory earlier on. You should know most of the theory just from your years of playing though

MrTammoth

HSC
lol i have to be really honest with you. i don't know my theory at all lol...absolutely 0. I actually don't even know how i managed to make my way through to grade 7 achieving an A honours.

Anyways if theory is necessary do you think it's possible to learn the theory knowledge in a month lol?

Fiction

HSC
lol i have to be really honest with you. i don't know my theory at all lol...absolutely 0. I actually don't even know how i managed to make my way through to grade 7 achieving an A honours.

Anyways if theory is necessary do you think it's possible to learn the theory knowledge in a month lol?
I guess..? It's not really realistic though lol Depending on which grade you start and which theory course you take, there are also aural components... So depending on your course, you may or may not have done it before (aural)

idk how well you go in class etc. Maybe ask your piano teacher or peers? o3o

madharris

HSC
N/A

I think grade 6 musicianship/grade 6 theory/grade 5 musicianship is recommended if you don't do music in high school. And it's still preferred even if you do do it. I don't think you have to produce the certificate saying that you have done x grade theory however it's the knowledge that they recommend or else you will struggle.

Just wondering, how do you get your certificates if you haven't done theory? I thought you needed to be a certain grade in theory/musicianship/music craft to get your actual certificate and stuff.

Fiction

HSC
I think grade 6 musicianship/grade 6 theory/grade 5 musicianship is recommended if you don't do music in high school. And it's still preferred even if you do do it. I don't think you have to produce the certificate saying that you have done x grade theory however it's the knowledge that they recommend or else you will struggle.

Just wondering, how do you get your certificates if you haven't done theory? I thought you needed to be a certain grade in theory/musicianship/music craft to get your actual certificate and stuff.
Only with some courses, while with others there is only a theory component required for 8th grade. There are courses, where theory exams aren't needed at all and the theory is tested with the prac - e.g piano for leisure

EDIT:
curious. You want to do bachelor of applied science in your sig, but you say you want to do music at usyd on this thread? o3o

madharris

HSC
N/A
Only with some courses, while with others there is only a theory component required for 8th grade. There are courses, where theory exams aren't needed at all and the theory is tested with the prac - e.g piano for leisure

EDIT:
curious. You want to do bachelor of applied science in your sig, but you say you want to do music at usyd on this thread? o3o
Oh yeah... forgot about ___ for leisure. I tried piano for leisure one year in conjunction with the normal piano AMEB syllabus, didn't like it :p

he's probably thinking about other possibilities

qrpw

HSC
You won't be able to get into music performance at USYD with grade 7 practical. Even if you do, you'll probably just fail with no knowledge of theory (mostly harmony and voice-leading is what you'll be lacking- I guess you'll at least know key signatures and stuff).

You probably could get into UNSW music, but again, you will need to do a lot of extra work if you want to do well- the two unis actually have a comparable harmony syllabus which is surprising.

joey147

HSC
The Academy of Music and Performing Arts is offering a full scholarship for a Bachelor of Music for next year if you're interested. You can read about it at onescholarshipcomp.com. Private colleges are usually a little less strict about theory as well...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)