Is it risky to do Extention 2 Maths (1 Viewer)

kehvin

HSC
Hello, im in year 11 now and im doing Extension Maths. At the end of this year i want to do Extension 2 Maths. Unlike other people who say NONONONO, i really want to do it.

Though just wondering. Is it really as hard as people say it is? Is it risky to choose Extension 2 Maths? I've heard people having to drop down to 10 units because of Extension 2 Maths. Would it be risky because you don't have another 2 Units to back your ATAR up? Is the concepts hard to understand or is it more just alot of work? Would it be necessary to have a tutor for 4 Unit maths?

Sorry about the lengthy post. Thank you in advance. :)

elbatiolpxeho

HSC
Ignore them because they're cunts, you don't have to drop to 10 units, I did 14 units for 2 weeks when I first picked it up, you can choose to keep all of your units if you want. The difficulty is completely subjective however the majority will find it challenging, as for tutors, I personally think if you need a tutor to cope with 4U then you shouldn't be doing it.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
if you 'want to do it' that pretty much indicates you'll do well in the thing

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
its really risky you could fall and injure yourself pretty badly i wouldnt go there if i were you there is too much risk to your personal safety and wellbeing

Tofuu

HSC
if you want to do it, then do it
with your attitude at the moment you'll probably do well in it

To get a tutor or not is up to you. Some people learn better with a tutor, some can learn from their teachers...etc

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
If I thought I was possibly capable of doing it I would have. If you think you are the same, and pass EXT 1 with flying colours. Try it.

ya_mum

'When there's a will, there's a way' - MOI
HSC
If you want to do it, do it.

4u maths is quite easy, but it requires a lot of work and dedication. Luckily it scales well and 3u will see piss easy when you start.
You have to willing to put in the effort. And fuck no!!! It's not a risk, unless you keep thinking it is.

K

khorne

Hello, im in year 11 now and im doing Extension Maths. At the end of this year i want to do Extension 2 Maths. Unlike other people who say NONONONO, i really want to do it.

Though just wondering. Is it really as hard as people say it is? Is it risky to choose Extension 2 Maths? I've heard people having to drop down to 10 units because of Extension 2 Maths. Would it be risky because you don't have another 2 Units to back your ATAR up? Is the concepts hard to understand or is it more just alot of work? Would it be necessary to have a tutor for 4 Unit maths?

1) it's not hard. The concepts are not actually that difficult to understand, and most are straight forward. I mean, the questions can get hard, but after doing enough past papers or textbook work, you learn how to get at most questions easily. Plus, the marks needed for E3/E4 in the HSC are pretty low.
2)Risky? Only if you drrop it. Otherwise no. There's no reason you shouldn't go at least decently in it, with some effort invested.
3) As for a tutor, you don't. Only slow and lazy people do (exceptions apply, I guess). Again, it's not difficult.

Banana-Hammock

HSC
And i love extension 2 math. Its a lot of work but i understand it all, you've got to weigh up how much it will effect your other subjects. If you're putting in a lot of effort and not going that well then you may as well not do it and put more effort into your other subjects to get a better ATAR

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Only risky when you don't use protection.
Protection is study :p But seriously, pick it up and at least try it for a bit if you want to.

blackops23

HSC

I'm doing 4U and I've had to drop to 10 units... :S However that was mainly so I can concentrate on English + 4U at the same time. Plus the fact that I'm a lazy fuck. Anyways I don't understand this whole concept of "backing up your ATAR", and how about how 10 units is "risky". HSC exams aren't constructed so that even though you have done an immense amount of study, you still will be overwhelmed or tremendously surprised by the exam. There is a syllabus. Meaning there is a set structure in how the exams are made. If you do enough study, and I mean A LOT of study, exams should be pishh easy. Also, my personal opinion with 12Units is that you simply are sucking up your time studying for the extra 2. In the HSC every second counts.

Concepts in 4U aren't really hard. It's alright that you can't do a question, unless you are extremely intelligent; also if you are extremely intelligent I suppose you don't need a tutor, but if you find that 4U is slightly hard, a tutor is extremely helpful.

Also I like 4U a lot better than 2U or 3U; whilst the mathematical aspects are relatively harder than 2U/3U, 4U is fairly straightforward. I don't know about this for other topics, but the topics I've done, i.e. Graphs, Conics, Complex Numbers, I can see that there is a SET NUMBER of QUESTION STYLES in 4U, say about 100-150 different types. If you can master all those questions, you can master anything.. hopefully mate.

Final thing: Success in 4U = HARD WORK, unless you are ridiculously smart...

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the thread should of been titled, 'Is it risky not to do Extension 2 Maths?'

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
By picking it up you can drop it and at least say you gave it a go. If you don't pick it up then you'll never know if you could have done well or if you would have liked it.

Pick it up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)