Is it suicide to do both Extension 2 courses (Eng + Maths)? (1 Viewer)

T

tellytubbies

I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so please move it if necessary.

The title says it all. Has it been done before? How well do you/would you/did you cope? What are the stress factors for them both?

Everyone does 10 units in the HSC. Most people do the subjects they enjoy/are good at/are motivated in, right? Say, if a person's strongest points are maths and English... and they do not enjoy, nor excel at, anything else... is it not logical to fill these 10 units with these subjects? (Of course, they'd have to choose a couple more subjects to fill the 10 units; 4U + 4U =/= 10U.)

Having said that, why are the 2 Extension courses so "feared"?

Please explain the amount of stress one would receive under these conditions, considering that this person in question has dealt with very little stress through the preliminaries of English Ext 1 and Maths Ext 1 (and has done very well in both).

runnable

HSC
Its good if you are good at those subjects. I know at least two people with UAI 100 with those two EXT2 subjects...

and they are not feared lol, some even enjoy them...

u-borat

Banned
HSC
No, it ain't suicide.
I love ext 2 english; it gives me a chance to write about what I want, and I think I can do a reasonably good job at it.
And Ext 2 maths is interesting in its own way; its very satisfying when you do harder questions.

As for your question...I feel its easier to do better in 4unit mathematics than english, because its a straight right/wrong, and thus if you apply yourself, you can guarantee yourself good marks.
4 unit english on the other hand; leaves a bit at the marker's discretion...so I'm not sure about its reliability.
Basically, I wouldn't have 4 units of english if I only did 10 units, but I think I would have 4 units of maths within a 10 unit subject.
But if you were to do both, I'd recommend 1-2 backup units at the least...as in 11-12 units.

Stress wise...you have to work VERY hard for 4 unit. I was accustomed to not doing the exercises and just studying the few days behind in years 7-11, and that got me a 54% in my first 4 unit maths exam. :p lucky it was only worth 10% and I now do the work (which is theoretically quite hard at times), and I'm up to around 80-85% course mark wise.
In 4 unit english...there really isn't any stress. unless you're a huge procrastinator and you don't have motivations...(lucky for me, my supervisor set a due date for the draft so i had to get that done :p)...
so if you did well in ext 1 eng and maths, I'd recommend going ext 2 on both, but with leeway(in the form of extra units) if you find you dont like the subject and you want to drop it.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
No, it's not suicide. There have been people who have done Extension 2 English and Extension 2 Mathematics who have achieved very outstanding marks.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
If you're keen to do only ten units then you will only need to select one more subject. You can start working on your English Extension 2 work anytime.. I did a fair bit of mine in the first term of year 12. Its very independant. If you are in prelim you could even start thinking of ideas and writing them in a journal now to gain an advantage..

nrs1990

HSC
It's not suicide. I'm doing both and enjoying both -- and I'm not the only one at my school.

The problem I see with extension subjects isn't that they're a massive amount of work (though they are a lot); more that each one unit subject has the same amount of assessments and stress as a two unit subject, so you're doing more work for less units.

Also, keep in mind that to satisfy the HSC requirements you need to do four subjects; and I'm pretty such that English and Maths each count as one subject, depite all the extension units, so you'll need to do eleven or twelve units, rather than just ten.

But they're both really fun subjects -- way better than the two unit courses (in my opinion, at least). So if you want to do it, give it a try. I know that I haven't regretted it.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It also depends on how busy you are. Personally, I would like two be doing both extension 2 (I'm doing both 1's). However, I simply don't have the time management motivation to do them. If you think they are something you really want to do, then go ahead. You've got nothing to lose. Especially if you do 12 units.

AppleNader

HSC
Exphate said:
If you are strong enough in both areas, and dedicated enough to work your arse off in both, why the hell would it be suicide? Both scale really, really well and can put you in a very good position UAI wise (if you do well!), so really, it has to potential to be a v.positive move.

Yeah , great way to state the obvious. Are you actually talking from experience or is it just based on some romantic notion of you being able to tackle such rigorous courses?

conics2008

HSC
bull shit you guys are idiots... if you do crap in 4unit maths and im assuming that goes for 3unit also.. then you have no balls to play the game anymore.. so stop with the fcked " ohh its good " and face reality dip face...

lionking1191

HSC
conics2008 said:
bull shit you guys are idiots... if you do crap in 4unit maths and im assuming that goes for 3unit also.. then you have no balls to play the game anymore.. so stop with the fcked " ohh its good " and face reality dip face...
stick to the question pls

and the answer's no, lots of ppl do it

SimonLee13

HSC
Why hasn't this guy been banned yet?
Anyway, 4u maths and 4u english, doubt anyone who's tried both sincerly did poor in their UAI. If you could pull them off then you're done. 4/5 of your HSC with one random other subject.

catherinet

HSC
That's great that you are talented enough to do 4 units of both english and maths.

If you feel that you won't hate yourself for making the decision, then by all means do it!

I can understand that you want to minimise the number of other subjects that you're doing through increasing the amount of units of the subjects that you love!

IMO, do it.
You will enjoy next year so much more and it will bring your UAI up so much.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
SimonLee13 said:
Why hasn't this guy been banned yet?
Anyway, 4u maths and 4u english, doubt anyone who's tried both sincerly did poor in their UAI. If you could pull them off then you're done. 4/5 of your HSC with one random other subject.
I think you have to do 4 subjects minimum?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Is it suicide to do both Extension 2 courses (Eng + Maths)?

catherinet said:
That's great that you are talented enough to do 4 units of both english and maths.

If you feel that you won't hate yourself for making the decision, then by all means do it!

I can understand that you want to minimise the number of other subjects that you're doing through increasing the amount of units of the subjects that you love!

IMO, do it.
You will enjoy next year so much more and it will bring your UAI up so much.
4unit math yes, 3/4unit english - not really.

Aplus said:
I think you have to do 4 subjects minimum?
Yes, you do.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Is it suicide to do both Extension 2 courses (Eng + Maths)?

Accidental Double Post -_-

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Is it suicide to do both Extension 2 courses (Eng + Maths)?

3/4 english is far more enjoyable than maths. and it scales well enough.

The Ozman

HSC
I'm doing that...and up until this point I haven't found it to be too bad, but if you want to do well in both, I got two words for you...TIME...MANAGEMENT...seriously it is soooo very easy to spend days and days in doing nothing but your major work, but alot of times you don't really progress the work all that much, and you need as much time for maths as you can get...also, in EE2 allow for things to go wrong...I didn't, and now I'm very stressed...finish your drafts ahead of time, so that when push comes to shove you're ready and not in the midst of a huge rewrite! ME2 is a different beasty, you need to do problems problems problems to get that whole leap of reasoning thing downpat...but yeah, do it, for me it's been an interesting challenge.

L

lsam

what do you mean by 4 subjects?

you mean like
mx1, mx2, maths (treat them as 3 subjects)

OR mx, m2, maths (treat it as one subject)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I say go for it. If you think you're able to cope with, by all means do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)