• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it true that only 97% of condoms work??? (1 Viewer)

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
Just think about 100 times a year.....................:uhoh:

Is it true?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Bulldog4lyf said:

Is it true?
No. It's not like 3 condoms out of 100 don't work. It's like, there is roughly about 3% chance that condoms will not be able to help prevent unwanted pregnancy.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
No, it's over the course of an entire year 2% of women using condoms as their only form of contraception will fall pregnant assuming perfect use.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
lyounamu said:
I am not bullshitting. Why would I?
Yeh you are actually wrong though. If each of those 100 women sampled each year had sex 10 times (extremely conservative estimate) that means that only 3/1000 sexual encounters resulted in pregnancy when condoms were the only method of contraception.

Now considering for most people (especially those in a relationship) 10 times in a year is fuck all...
Assuming you use it properly condoms very rarely fail. It's quite blatant when they slip off, and so just check that it didnt break when you're done.

Edit: it's not like everything can seem all good and 2 tiny sperms got through and resulted in pregnancy. You can tell when they fail.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Riet said:
Yeh you are actually wrong though. If each of those 100 women sampled each year had sex 10 times (extremely conservative estimate) that means that only 3/1000 sexual encounters resulted in pregnancy when condoms were the only method of contraception.

Now considering for most people (especially those in a relationship) 10 times in a year is fuck all...
Assuming you use it properly condoms very rarely fail. It's quite blatant when they slip off, and so just check that it didnt break when you're done.

Edit: it's not like everything can seem all good and 2 tiny sperms got through and resulted in pregnancy. You can tell when they fail.
Ah, okay. I wasn't aware of that. Thanks

Bainesy

HSC
Bulldog4lyf said:

Is it true?
It is, its just that an incredibly high amount of sexually active people masturbate so much that they have driven themselves into sterility.

So even though it only works 97% of the time, the chance of getting pregnant is much much lower than 3%

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
Statistics don't always apply to the individual..I read that somewhere...
Just combine condoms with other contraceptive measures and you should be fine

zingerburger

HSC
Abstinence. They've done studies, you know. Sixty per cent of the time, it works every time.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
zingerburger said:
Abstinence. They've done studies, you know. Sixty per cent of the time, it works every time.
Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that.

sca

HSC
I'm pretty sure condoms are more than 97% safe.

And even if that is the hip new stat, a fair amount of that 3 percent are people who buy cheap and then don't know how to use them.

Quality rubber + lubrication (if not natural then outsource) + not hanging around for leakage = very safe.

Mischaaa

HSC
ive only had 2 condoms ever break out of i dunno how many times, but i think thats mainly because my ex was pretty big lol

sca

HSC
Mischaaa said:
ive only had 2 condoms ever break out of i dunno how many times, but i think thats mainly because my ex was pretty big lol
You can blow a condom up to massive proportions, penis size just doesn't count when it comes to condom breakage I'm afraid... just makes it a bit uncomfortable for the guy if he's extra large and decides to use an extra small. :|

It's happened once on my count; it was extra thin, things were moving fast, and I was a little dehydrated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)