Is it true that... (1 Viewer)

acemusic415

HSC
uni students from the affluent areas such as the north and the east look down on those who come from the west, i.e the inner west and south west of Sydney?

I was curious, because all my friends who are currently in uni say that they do and the majority are snobs and you just learn to adapt to their condescending nature. Is this true? I'm sure there are exceptions, but word of mouth says that a lot of students judge you according to which region you reside in.

I don't really mind, I just find this quite interesting because I am from the west and my closest friends are as well. A lot of them are doing Pharmacy at USYD, Comm/Law at UNSW, Med Sci etc etc and I was wondering if we would fair to those affluent students from wealthier regions.

Just curious and no disrespect to those are from affluent regions.

Cheers

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I've never seen this happen but just remember there are many dickheads around who like to push this point around because it's their first interaction with people away from their area. It's not ingrained in university culture, it's just that some people are born wankers.

HSC
N/A
Mmm I rekon there would be a bit... my friend goes to USYD doing Law and he says there are a few snobs, but it's not like school where you are forced to talk to them, so you just don't.
But then again, what would you say is a 'wealthy' area to live in? Inner west isn't bad, I know people who live in Croydon and they are rich as faaaaaaark! I even know people who live in greater western Sydney (penrith, blue mountains) who are extremely wealthy... but have to live there because their parents have jobs in that area.

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
uni students from the affluent areas such as the north and the east look down on those who come from the west, i.e the inner west and south west of Sydney?
I've never seen/experienced this. Yes there are some pretentious students (esp. in law) however I haven't experienced people 'looking down' on those from other suburbs. How would they necessarily even know where you live? By the time I tell people where I live, I generally know them quite well - and they aren't going to suddenly go - 'oh your from there' so i'm not going to hang out with you? Very unlikely to happen.

I've experienced more 'oh your a college kid' so you must be a pretentious princess kind of comments/stereotype rather than the other the other way around.

acemusic415

HSC
I've never seen/experienced this. Yes there are some pretentious students (esp. in law) however I haven't experienced people 'looking down' on those from other suburbs. How would they necessarily even know where you live? By the time I tell people where I live, I generally know them quite well - and they aren't going to suddenly go - 'oh your from there' so i'm not going to hang out with you? Very unlikely to happen.

I've experienced more 'oh your a college kid' so you must be a pretentious princess kind of comments/stereotype rather than the other the other way around.
Oh, my uni friend was telling me how in the midst of introductions, they will soon establish a first impression. For instance:

Me: "My name is X. I'm from this X High School"
Them: "Is that a Private School?"
Me: "Nope"
Them: "Where is it located?"
Me: "In the south west"
Them: "Oh..."

And so forth haha.

I was just curious because my friends were telling me and I found this interesting cos they've experienced it.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well put it this way:

Would you even want to make friends with snobby people like that?

If not, then they shouldn't concern you.

izzy88

HSC
Oh, my uni friend was telling me how in the midst of introductions, they will soon establish a first impression. For instance:

Me: "My name is X. I'm from this X High School"
Them: "Is that a Private School?"
Me: "Nope"
Them: "Where is it located?"
Me: "In the south west"
Them: "Oh..."

And so forth haha.

I was just curious because my friends were telling me and I found this interesting cos they've experienced it.
i'd forgotten that bit...first year law camp, every introduction is what school you went to (generally ends up being selective or private), however 6 months on thats way in the past - its more immaturity of 18 year olds...and people get over it. 5 years on at uni and no one cares at all...

RANK 1

HSC
im from the north shore area and yes u do get a few ppl who'll look down on you for those reasons although most of us just make jokes such not wanting to go to the west cos we dont want to get stabbed etc (kinda like the deal with racism, everybody makes racist jokes etc but actual racists are rare)

inJust

HSC
North Shore and Eastern Suburbs. Who cares.
Beat them in every subject and see who's looking down on who now?

acemusic415

HSC
Yeah, because my parents are cleaners and they work for several clients in the North and East and they undoubtedly talk to my parents with a condescending tone. For some, when I mention what degree I'm doing in uni (when I'm helping my parents work), they shut their mouths and swallow their pride.

Generally, I find it interesting as to why they act the way they are, but some of them are the nicest people on Earth.

RANK 1

HSC
Yeah, because my parents are cleaners and they work for several clients in the North and East and they undoubtedly talk to my parents with a condescending tone. For some, when I mention what degree I'm doing in uni (when I'm helping my parents work), they shut their mouths and swallow their pride.

Generally, I find it interesting as to why they act the way they are, but some of them are the nicest people on Earth.
well, to be fair i think cleaners get talked to in a condescending tone by pretty much every1(clients) everywhere if they arent regulars

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
It would be interesting to see if this actually existed.

This pisses me off. Probably because it's a fact.
I have a classmate who signed on my autograph book: "Remember the important thing is not who you know but what you know". He is a multi-millionaire now (hundreds of millions if not billions) because of his extra-good political connections.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well put it this way:

Would you even want to make friends with snobby people like that?

If not, then they shouldn't concern you.
^ That.

I've encountered a few people who think lesser of me because I come from Western Sydney. And if they think that, well, I don't really care. Plenty of other people who won't do such things.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I have a classmate who signed on my autograph book: "Remember the important thing is not who you know but what you know". He is a multi-millionaire now (hundreds of millions if not billions) because of his extra-good political connections.
Irony?

RANK 1

HSC
^ That.

I've encountered a few people who think lesser of me because I come from Western Sydney. And if they think that, well, I don't really care. Plenty of other people who won't do such things.
u sure the reason is because u come from western sydney ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)