Is it uncommon for domestic students to live on campus? (1 Viewer)

Fake-Name

HSC
Hey, I'm considering applying for campus accommodation as I'm not too keen to be travelling from South West Sydney to North Ryde every week. However, i'm interested to know how common is it for domestic students to live on campus, or is it mainly for the foreign study abroad students?

This isn't intended to be racist, I'm just concerned about being a 'fish out of water'.
Thanks.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Meh, i would imagine going to Macq campus would have domestic students rom WA, Queensland and South Australia.

I don't think you will be alone

MysteryGenius

HSC
Pretty common actually. Hell, I've met people who would have to travel ~20 minutes to uni had they chosen to live at home instead.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I know tons of locals who live on campus, you won't be out of place. Mind you, i hear Robert Menzies college chucks the first years in the pond on their first night ;p

Fake-Name

HSC
I know tons of locals who live on campus, you won't be out of place. Mind you, i hear Robert Menzies college chucks the first years in the pond on their first night ;p
I thought Robert Menzies College was a pathway into Uni, not accommodation?

Noted anyway! :p

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
aaaaah not as far as i know? It provides student accommodation.

Fake-Name

HSC
Ah, ok. I was probably misinformed.
I dont think I'll give it that much consideration though! :p

Atlas

HSC
N/A
No heaps of domestic students move onto or near campus for convenience and quite frankly, because you can get drunk have more fun :) and... UBar.

Judging from this thread, you're looking at Mac? If so, you can choose any of the colleges, or the apartments/village offered by Mac, or any of the rooms/shared places around Marsfield/Epping. What are you looking for? Did you want meals etc?

p.s. you can find info here: http://www.accommodation.mq.edu.au/

Fake-Name

HSC
No heaps of domestic students move onto or near campus for convenience and quite frankly, because you can get drunk have more fun :) and... UBar.

Judging from this thread, you're looking at Mac? If so, you can choose any of the colleges, or the apartments/village offered by Mac, or any of the rooms/shared places around Marsfield/Epping. What are you looking for? Did you want meals etc?

p.s. you can find info here: http://www.accommodation.mq.edu.au/
http://www.accommodation.mq.edu.au/university-accommodation/parklands
I'm thinking about the Macquarie Parklands. I just want a cheap 1 person bedroom. I dont mind communal living/dining areas, but I think I'd feel more comfortable sleeping alone. I'm not really interested in having internet/food provided, it seems cheaper and easier if I provide my own.

Do you know when us 2012'ers are supposed to apply for Uni accommodation?

Thanks.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
http://www.accommodation.mq.edu.au/university-accommodation/parklands
I'm thinking about the Macquarie Parklands. I just want a cheap 1 person bedroom. I dont mind communal living/dining areas, but I think I'd feel more comfortable sleeping alone. I'm not really interested in having internet/food provided, it seems cheaper and easier if I provide my own.

Do you know when us 2012'ers are supposed to apply for Uni accommodation? Thanks.
Fair enough, that's a pretty good choice. I've heard other students say that the food isn't that fantastic and they do pay a lot more. For internet - once you're a student you can get free wi-fi on campus but I'm not sure if you can access this at the apartments.

Couldn't find a deadline, but I'm not sure how competitive it is to get an apartment. On the safe side, give them a call to check: http://accommodation.mq.edu.au/contact

The application form will also require you to pick a second preference :)

Fake-Name

HSC
Fair enough, that's a pretty good choice. I've heard other students say that the food isn't that fantastic and they do pay a lot more. For internet - once you're a student you can get free wi-fi on campus but I'm not sure if you can access this at the apartments.

Couldn't find a deadline, but I'm not sure how competitive it is to get an apartment. On the safe side, give them a call to check: http://accommodation.mq.edu.au/contact

The application form will also require you to pick a second preference :)
Awesome! Thanks for that!

I want to sort this out as soon as the HSC is done. I'd hate to miss out...

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Awesome! Thanks for that!

I want to sort this out as soon as the HSC is done. I'd hate to miss out...
Good luck!!! LOL just get your HSC out of the way before you sort out the other stuff. You are going to have so much fun living on campus :D

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
No, I think it's quite common for domestic (or local) students to live in college. That's the case at USyd anyway.

sheepi

HSC
lol lled when i saw this thread.. sorry guys its just bizarre that some people thought college was only for international students what to rural students do?? catch the-bus for 8 hours everyday. colleges are there for rural students and city people moving out of home and international students --- its a big mix

Atlas

HSC
N/A
lol lled when i saw this thread.. sorry guys its just bizarre that some people thought college was only for international students what to rural students do?? catch the-bus for 8 hours everyday. colleges are there for rural students and city people moving out of home and international students --- its a big mix
It's a fair enough question for someone who hasn't been to uni yet :)

suling

HSC
I have friends at UNE who are Armidale locals, yet choose to live in college. I have one friend who chose to live in college, despite his house being literally across the road from the university. I guess it just comes down to personal choice/ convenience.

twistedrebel

HSC
I have friends at UNE who are Armidale locals, yet choose to live in college. I have one friend who chose to live in college, despite his house being literally across the road from the university. I guess it just comes down to personal choice/ convenience.
top bloke living on campus, but on campus is so expensive and what not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)