Is it very possible to get an ATAR mark of between 99-99.95 with these subjects? (1 Viewer)

loong21

HSC
The title pretty much sums it up..
I do chemistry, physics, math 3U, math 4U and standard english :(
Is it possible to get a final mark between 99-99.95 with these subjects? or will standard english just bring me right down
Thanks!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Definitely possible, but even with the highest scaling subjects around 99+ is not practical for the majority of students.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
You're gonna have to rape standard english with how poorly it aligns.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
You're going to have to get a b6 minimum and close to a state rank standard to have a chance.

spanky125

Just waitin' for a mate
HSC
It is also possible to get an ATAR <30, subject selection does not dictate your ATAR.
However you have chosen subjects which are the most common for people with a high ATAR.

braintic

HSC
N/A
The title pretty much sums it up..
I do chemistry, physics, math 3U, math 4U and standard english :(
Is it possible to get a final mark between 99-99.95 with these subjects? or will standard english just bring me right down
Thanks!
It depends. How do you sit with standard English?

Imagine two different scenarios:
(1) as you are now; also assume that exactly 5% of the state will beat you in Standard English.
(2) a fictitious scenario where you only did 8 units and they simply multiplied your results by 1.25 to turn this into 10 units.

If you were good enough to get 99.8 in scenario 2, then you would probably just scrape 99 in scenario 1.
Much worse than that in Standard English (say, only at the cutoff for the top 10% in the state), and you would have no hope of a 99 ATAR.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
You get 99+ with a high band 5 in standard but you'll have to compensate for that with other subjects of course.

braintic

HSC
N/A
You get 99+ with a high band 5 in standard
That's not correct. In 2012, a mark of 88 (high band 5) in Standard English scaled to 78.6
If this is multiplied by 5, you get an aggregate of 393.
An aggregate of 400 became an ATAR of 94.75

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
That's not correct. In 2012, a mark of 88 (high band 5) in Standard English scaled to 78.6
If this is multiplied by 5, you get an aggregate of 393.
An aggregate of 400 became an ATAR of 94.75
What are you on about? You can do much better in other subjects lol

braintic

HSC
N/A
What are you on about? You can do much better in other subjects lol
It was just your statement "You get 99+ with a high band 5 in standard". Not 'its possible to get 99'. That wording suggests that a high band 5 puts you on target for 99.

BTW, a high band 5 (or better) is only achieved by 1% of the state.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
It was just your statement "You get 99+ with a high band 5 in standard". Not 'its possible to get 99'. That wording suggests that a high band 5 puts you on target for 99.

BTW, a high band 5 (or better) is only achieved by 1% of the state.
Yeah I know that.

It was clearly a typo, you should be able to pick up on that :L Besides I did say 'you'll have to compensate' which implies if you get a high band 5 it's still necessary you do well in your other subjects to get the 99+

loong21

HSC
Thanks guys for all your input! I think I could do quite well in all my other subjects, and standard english I think I could rank top 3/50 in my school, but top 1% that sounds so out of my league! I guess i'll just have to do the best I can in all my subjects and accept what I get..
Thankyou so much!

akishil

HSC
Uni Grad
It is possible if you are able to get a band 6 or high band 5 in standard english. Assuming you get a score of band 6 for your other subjects from their crazy scaling they would go close to 99. I did exactly the same subjects last year and i got band 6 in everything except english where i got 86 i got an atar of 98.15. So yeah based off my personal experience it is possible just hard to score well in standard english.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Yeah I know that.

It was clearly a typo, you should be able to pick up on that :L Besides I did say 'you'll have to compensate' which implies if you get a high band 5 it's still necessary you do well in your other subjects to get the 99+
It is only 'clearly a typo' now that you've pointed it out. It was clear to you only because you wrote it and knew what you meant. You even had to translate 'you'll have to compensate' to make your message clear.

loong21

HSC
akishil, the mark of 86 in standard english, is that close to state rank? did you put most of your effort into standard english?

akishil

HSC
Uni Grad
hmmm it could be i'm not too sure, but I do know that there was one person from my school that got a band 6 in standard English also got a state ranking. Yeah i put more effort into English compared to my other subjects even though I really hated English and also because getting below 80 in standard English can mess up your atar due to its bad alignment.

HSC
Yes you can but you really need to work hard for standard. It's not that it's a hard subject but it doesn't do as well as advanced because the majority of the state does it. If you are willing to work for english, you could always pick up advanced since it isn't too late. English isn't a hard subject and at my school the ranks were all over the place. Everybody had one amazing rank in an assessment and then some in the middle and some near the end. It's really subjective and ultimately due to luck in my opinion. Keep in mind that your Paper 1 which is AOS gets marked with the advanced papers - so that's why it's a bit of a disadvantage if you do standard. Modules wise, it's about the same I'm pretty sure :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)