Is it worth doing Adv. english if it only ups your uai by 0.4? (1 Viewer)

bluey69

HSC
English adv.?

what's the deal with english adv. Does it have a large weighting on your overall mark coz english is my worst averaging 70 but 90's in everything else? is it better to focus fully on english adv to get up to 80's?
cheers

Freddie09

HSC
advanced english is sooo much better than standard because its alot more creative, but yeah if you hate shakespeare (like me) it does get a little bit tired at times. Though if i were you i would go adv coz it's cooler :p lol
good luck :)

mr_robato

HSC
nooo stay with advanced!!!!!
it is really worth it...because standard scales u down rly bad...and as ppl say..its extremely hard to get a band 6 in standard english.
if u see the past years statistics only around the top 0.1% (approximately) in state get a band 6 in standard..whereas in advanced its way more.
so dont drop to standard:spzz:

It's in fact near impossible. In 2007 only ONE person for a band six in Standard English. She only got it because she initially wanted to do Advanced but the school couldn't offer it to her. The school probably put in that word for her.

Hence, near impossible.

maths94

HSC
Yes it is worth doing Adv. english, from the statistics i found here(on this site) and from the words written from experienced bos members...advanced is better. As Adv. you hav a much higher chance of achieving a band 5 or band 6 than in standard. Btw here is statistics from the 2008 HSC to prove for what l just said: http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/uai/2008_table_A2.pdf Hope that helps! Also you can always drop down, always better to hav a try than question ur decision in standard where u can not go up.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
0.4 UAI/ATAR is quite a lot anyway.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
On the SAM calculator i tried the same values for all my subjects and played around with english...n i found each tym that Advanced English is only upped by o.4 in the UAI compared to Standard???

I don't know whether its worth all the extra effort???

I'd really appriciate any advice...:)
lol i know what you are talking about, if its only 0.4 difference i never would have done it, but my teacher told me that i could handle advanced (so i should take it). Deceptive teachers, advanced is the exact same stuff as standard except the one difference is advanced gets marked 10 times harder (and it doesnt scale 10 times as good).

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Exactly the same, calculator boy.
No, someone's told me that Standard English scales slightly less than Advanced English. But of course that isn't the reason that it's difficult to attain a band 6 in the subject.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Oh calculator boy, you never cease to annoy me.

Q: If Advanced and Standard English are scaled as a single group, why does an aligned mark of 38.5 in Standard English become a scaled mark of 38.5 while an aligned mark of 38.6 in Advanced English become a scaled mark of 32.8?

A: English was scaled as a single group but Standard and Advanced were separated for purposes of reporting. Neither Advanced nor Standard students were advantaged or disadvantaged as a result of scaling. The apparent anomaly results from the fact that:
  • the common scale for Standard and Advanced marks determined on the basis of raw marks differed from the common scale determined on the basis of the Board's
    aligned marks
  • the UAI is based on raw HSC marks rather than the Board's HSC marks that are reported to students.
In summary:

1. Raw Standard and Advanced examination marks were placed on a common scale by statistical equating using the common 2 unit paper that all English students completed. School assessments were moderated using these raw examination marks. A raw HSC mark was then calculated as the sum of the examination mark and moderated school assessment.
2. After scaling, a raw HSC mark yielded the same scaled mark, whether from a Standard or Advanced student.
3. The Board used judges to align the Standard and Advanced examination marks against the standards defined by the Performance Band Descriptors in English.
4. The common scale so determined for the Board's HSC marks was slightly different from that established by statistical equating: the same raw HSC mark corresponded to different Board HSC marks for Standard and Advanced students, with Advanced students receiving the higher mark.
5. Consequently, while the same raw HSC mark yielded the same scaled mark, the same was not true for the Board's HSC marks.

While Standard and Advanced marks were combined for scaling they were separated for the purposes of reporting. As neither schools nor students have knowledge of the raw marks, scaled marks had to be related to the Board's HSC marks reported to students. This led to the misapprehension that Advanced students were disadvantaged in some way by the scaling process - this was not so. Advanced students received due acknowledgment for their achievement both in relation to the UAI and the reported HSC mark.
In 2001 there was less overlap between Standard and Advanced students than between 2 unit General and 2 unit Related in the past: over half of the Advanced students performed better than the top 10% of the Standard students. The data from 2001 suggest that the Advanced candidature comprises the previous 2 unit Related students and the top 40% or so of the 2 unit General students, leaving the bottom 60% of the 2 unit General candidature and the Contemporary students enrolled in Standard.
The lack of Standard students in performance band 6 and the small proportion of Standard students in performance band 5 were entirely consistent with the performance of Standard students on the common paper. Few Standard students received high marks on the common paper and, as markers were unaware of which scripts were from Standard students and which were from Advanced students, there was no bias in the marking of this paper that favoured Advanced students.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Oh calculator boy
How many mathematicians does it take to screw in a light bulb? (Use a calculator if you're not sure ;) )

Now getting back on topic... I read on here somewhere a year ago or so that Standard English is scaled slightly less than Advanced English.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
You're right. I suppose Boredofstudies is more reliable than the UAC.

bob fossil

HSC
Im doing MX2 Pe Bio SOR1 and STD Eng.

what will 80 in eng do to my ATAR if i get 90+ in the rest of my subjects?
will it bring me down a lot?

LornaW

HSC
I think it's more important to look at the content of each.

In adv. you'll be doing Shakesprear and speeches etc apparently you don't have to do many related texts

In sta. you'll be doing teen novels and have approx 6 related text all up

I think that you should decide by the type of content and whether you would enjoy one of them over the other.

I chose to do standard because i thought that the content was much easier for me. Plus it was easy to get a good rank from school!

Best of luck in choosing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)