is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

juggernaut

HSC
just wanted to ask;
is it worth buying a study guide like excel or macquarie.. or is it sufficient using your textbooks and the summary notes from people on this site.. or are they to summarised??

i know ill buy surfing for sure because i hear they have good questions etc.
same with success one

oh yeh, if i do buy one itll be the macq one, not the excel

Rahul

Dead Member
i havent used the macq one for physics, but i did use the religion one, which was better than its excel counterpart.

IMO, if you want to kick ass, get a hold of as many 'good' textbooks humanly/financially possible. BUT, no point buying them if you aint gunna use them.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
in my honest opinion, get excel - thats what i used.
excel is a good summary of everything u need to know for the exams and makes clear points for each dot point.

i havent used macq so i dunno what its like

to be honest, use excel and bos notes as well as ur text book and write ur own notes... nothing beats ur own notes

but like rahul said, only buy them if ur gonna use them.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
most of the bos notes are simply direct quotes from excel =|

juggernaut

HSC
yeh, jms ay

oh and theres a scanned version of excel physics on here

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
I reckon the two best tbooks are 'Physics Contexts 2' and Jacaranda. Although i must caution u, Contexts has quite a few mistakes, and so if something doesn't look right, ask ur teacher or confirm with Jacaranda.
IMO, summary books/'revision in a month books' arent useful because they may only give u the bare minimum for a dotpoint and if u just use this, it'll be hard to get Band 6. Its good to read as much as possible for all dotpoints, so u have an overall understanding, and ur answer (providing u have done a lot of practice papers and yes i strongly recommend Success One), will reflect ur higher understanding, and u'll hopefully get full marks for that question.
Also, on top of Success One, practice heaps of past papers (at least 5-10), so u can practice actually answering the question and the question verb i.e describe, evaluate, etc, and get ur teacher to mark these.
Sorry, gone a bit off track...but im bored, hehe :)

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
most of the bos notes are simply direct quotes from excel =|
hahah no need to buy it then!
hahaha just saved yourself $40 i think

hey i got a cd that came with excel - its got questions, examples and solutions... pm me if ur interested. :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I downloaded 2 sets of notes from bos, both from the same year....and their syllabus dot answers like like identically the same :O

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
I downloaded 2 sets of notes from bos, both from the same year....and their syllabus dot answers like like identically the same :O
Thats how lazy some people are. Its tempting to just copy them straight from excel but then you miss out on other information from different sources.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
lol yea i downloaded all the notes available on the site

3 of them are pretty much exactly the same ... and they are ripped from excel too lol

cept they got different names as the author

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yes agreed with tooheyz...u MUST buy excel! specially if you're struggling with phys

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
yeah but i reckon its a bit basic if u want to grasp the concepts then buying jacaranda phy bk2 HSC is the best

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by inasero
yes agreed with tooheyz...u MUST buy excel! specially if you're struggling with phys
thanks man! hahaha yeah excel is a must!!

Originally posted by amoz_lilo
yeah but i reckon its a bit basic if u want to grasp the concepts then buying jacaranda phy bk2 HSC is the best
basic? yeah its straight to the point - nice and simple.. good for last minute - the morning b4 cramming - as i've done :p LOL

excel is excellent! take my word for it :)

Rahul

Dead Member
the excel book was posted up actually a while back, in pdf form.

although it was a bit outdated i think. still...its free! :p

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
lol... i think i got all the books

its only like 30 bucks each. must have spend like 3000 dollars on books.
yeah that was like me last year... spent so much on book! i dont even think i used all of them.. like the success one books with the past papers in them? yeah i didnt even use that!

ahahahaha i think it just made me feel safe knowing i had them there.. just in case...

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by tooheyz
yeah that was like me last year... spent so much on book! i dont even think i used all of them.. like the success one books with the past papers in them? yeah i didnt even use that!

ahahahaha i think it just made me feel safe knowing i had them there.. just in case...
yeah thats how i feel... but i used the internet most of the times to study instead of books... what waste of money.

successone sux... i regret using it at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)