Is Macquarie Uni good? (1 Viewer)

Sambam429

HSC
Hi all!

I am thinking of going to Macquarie Uni next year to study Accounting. Although I have heard some really bad reviews about the uni. Can anyone give me their experience of the uni?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe also try posting here as well may get more responses.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/116/macquarie-university/274946/mq-chatter-thread-88.html

Professional Accounting degree is decent, as it means that you meet "" the tertiary education requirements of CPA Australia, Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ), the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) and the Institute of Public Accountants (IPA)."

I've found the uni alright so far. No trisemester's which is great, however the train line is getting closed down next year, so will impact on ease of getting to the campus. Close to the macquare shopping centre, so if you need to purchase something it easy!, Has a good amount of greenery/bush which I like. Most people are fairly chill, in the first few years of the course you'll be in classes with lots of a international students in the accounting subjects (predominatelly asian).

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you been to Uni before? If so, what did you like/not like about your previous institution?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
What sort of "bad things" have you heard? Maybe we can clarify or give feedback based upon that.:)

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
I suppose its like anywhere you go, you have good and bad lecturers/tutors. Personally I have found Macquarie to be very student based and my lecturers/tutors for my actuarial units have been exceptional. As for other units such as economics/accounting/maths etc. it has been hit and miss. Although the accounting unit I'm doing atm is done fairly well.

Although I do feel that for a commerce based degree that reputation is important. If I was doing accounting I would have gone to usyd not mq. But again I suppose it all depends on what you want to accomplish, as I'm sure you could do great at mq or wherever you go.

iamedwy

HSC
I know this question was asked long ago but I hope my decision process would help all the newbies!
I regret so much for being too naive and didn't know how to ask this question properly :mad3:

Uni degree is a huge investment in terms of your time and finance so you should have an assessment metrics:
You can view the university from 3 general dimensions --

1) the reputation of the course you want to study
2) the industry connection offers (it is a huge factor in grad job opportunities)
3)the flexibility of the course (would you be able to explore subjects outside your program, go on exchange, take semester leave, work around your work schedule, course timetable and holidays | because Usyd has no flexible timetable scheduling).

Alternatively, you may want to check this out to compare universities' courses and tuition fee. :biglaugh:

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Haven't been on for a while, but this question (although asked in October) lingered in my mind and made me reflect on my year at MQ. My experiences do not reflect everyone else's, and I'm not presuming that they do. But I'll say this.

Macquarie is not a perfect university. Not every student comes in with the right attitude and some tutors learn your name a little too late (or if they bother at all). The cynic would say that it's only going to get worse, the optimist says that's a small sample space and doesn't represent everyone. Some procedures are just confusing (look at the Concurrent degree forms for instance), and some faculties are thriving (Ancient History, Security Studies & Criminology with frequent events and opportunities) whilst some pale in comparison.

People, Planet & PACE units are still developing, and I predict in 5-10 years time (well after I finish my degree.... I hope) that they'll have more variety and choices. The current state isn't -bad- but if many students are actively dreading them and not seeing the point, then that does impact on the general atmosphere at university. I kind of find MQ to be refreshingly drama-free (mostly) and I remember a lovely experience of it pouring rain and a student who I had no prior interaction with offered me to go under her umbrella. (If Ally is reading this, you are awesome!). But things do happen.

If you go onto StudentVip, in the Macquarie section- you get a wide spectrum of ratings. Some courses do poorly (I've noticed Psychology not doing well) whilst people praise the daylights out of the Security Studies department. Accounting (and Commerce) seems to be in the middle- with a vast range of experiences.

So Macquarie's not perfect. Neither is any university for that matter. Just because it looks perfect on page, doesn't make it perfect for you and your goals.

Macquarie isn't perfect- but it's a damn good university in my opinion. Flexible study options, a great library, options to take units in Summer / Winter, nice places to eat (although there has been changes for food recently), an exciting new Doctor of Medicine program, a growing postgrad reputation, brilliant for Ancient History and Archeology, most people are great. What I think will happen to Macquarie University in the future- is that certain departments of it will shine and improve (aka only get better), leaving others lagging behind.

What I have heard about accounting at Macquarie- is that it's challenging and requires work, but rewards can be found if you are willing to put into the effort.

Another plus about Macquarie. It's really pretty in Autumn.

Ollie01

HSC
Some courses do poorly (I've noticed Psychology not doing well)
I'm a HSC student wanting to do psych next year! I've seen MQ's extensive list of psych-related undergrad course options though was wondering if it was true that MQ psych isn't quite thriving compared to USYD/UNSW? Any info that you might have gathered at your time at MQ? Thanks so much :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)