Is Mathematics hard? (1 Viewer)

HSC
So you do believe that an average person in Maths can do 2 Unit if they are consistent in their efforts?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
So you do believe that an average person in Maths can do 2 Unit if they are consistent in their efforts?
Yes.
Shit I totally forgot about this, but:
My friend was in the 2nd bottom class for maths in year 9 and worked really hard and got to the intermediate 5.2/5.3 class in year 10. He got around 75% in 5.2 and I think he may have barely passed 5.3, he may have failed... and both his teacher and the maths coordinator told him to do general and the coordinator signed his sheet to do general, but I changed it to mathematics and left her signature there because no friend of mine was doing retard maffs.
He ended up coming first out of the 2u kids in the first three 2u tests in prelim year, but then ended up dropping out and going to TAFE because he wanted to pick up MX1, Chem and Physics.
So, moral of the story is, teachers are fucked, do what you want.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Of course. Practice more and more questions, once your understanding of concept "clicks" you will be able to see links in questions and equations flying through your brain.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I found maths really hard in Yr 10...(I did 5.3) and didn't get many concepts. But my teacher wasn't helpful and I didn't put the work in so it was compounded.

Yr 11 maths was really easy at first, revisiting all basic algebra stuff, most has been touched on in yr 10 except easier second time around. I am doing much better in maths in yr 11 than I did in yr 10. It went from being my worst subject by 11 ranks in yr 10, to being one of my better ranks. I am not super happy with my last test result, but I hope to do stellar in the yearly by doing more revision.

I didn't have the same decision as you, I knew I would never want to do general, but it was between mathematics, 3u maths or no maths funnily enough.

So in conclusion, try maths, you can always drop down. From yr 10 to 11, I thought it'd be much harder than it actually is.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't have the same decision as you, I knew I would never want to do general, but it was between mathematics, 3u maths or no maths funnily enough.
You didn't do MX1?!
I am disappoint...

Change your sig to this: English Advanced|Extension 1 English|Mathematics|Biology|Chemistry|Economics|Modern History
Your current one is confusing.

bby3

HSC
your post contained no swearing, what the fuck is with that

bby3

HSC
how dumb are you, your fucking head of maths and your tutor said don't do it so you take advice from basement asians doing 4u.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The unfortunate perception that some people have of Mathematics is that it is all about numerical calculations (which is usually what junior levels are all about). In 2 unit and in the Extensions you learn mathematics as a modelling tool and it becomes a much more sophisticated course about logical reasoning rather than putting numbers into equations (much like English Advanced + Extensions becomes more of a course about literature than about language). Preliminary/HSC mathematics is very different to junior level mathematics.

If you don't have the disciplined mind of logical thinking then 2 unit would be difficult. Many people I know who struggle in 2 unit mathematics often are like this because they cannot think in a strict logical manner (i.e. they tend to make up rules which don't exist or are unable to understand logical/deductive procedures). Performance in Year 10 mathematics is in no way indicative of how well you can cope with 2 unit because Year 10 mathematics doesn't really discriminate between those who truly understand the logical framework behind the equations and those who simply put numbers in formulas.

So the real question is how do you learn mathematics? Do you actually understand the logical structure behind the equations/procedures or do you usually put numbers into equations only because your teacher/textbook told you to do it that way? If the latter then perhaps 2 unit Mathematics may not be suitable for you.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The unfortunate perception that some people have of Mathematics is that it is all about numerical calculations (which is usually what junior levels are all about). In 2 unit and in the Extensions you learn mathematics as a modelling tool and it becomes a much more sophisticated course about logical reasoning rather than putting numbers into equations (much like English Advanced + Extensions becomes more of a course about literature than about language). Preliminary/HSC mathematics is very different to junior level mathematics.

If you don't have the disciplined mind of logical thinking then 2 unit would be difficult. Many people I know who struggle in 2 unit mathematics often are like this because they cannot think in a strict logical manner (i.e. they tend to make up rules which don't exist or are unable to understand logical/deductive procedures). Performance in Year 10 mathematics is in no way indicative of how well you can cope with 2 unit because Year 10 mathematics doesn't really discriminate between those who truly understand the logical framework behind the equations and those who simply put numbers in formulas.

So the real question is how do you learn mathematics? Do you actually understand the logical structure behind the equations/procedures or do you usually put numbers into equations only because your teacher/textbook told you to do it that way? If the latter then perhaps 2 unit Mathematics may not be suitable for you.
That is... a beautiful post. Repped. Wow.

HSC
I don't understand the reasoning behind some formulas...
I don't think i've ever actually bothered looking at the proofing of formulas.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
A lot of questions actually require you to understand the concept rather than simply plugging in a formula. By understanding how the formula is derived, you basically understand the concept and theory behind it.

Plus, some questions will sometimes ask you to derive it anyway.

Kowther

HSC
I'm wondering this too! Apparently General will scale you down and 2 unit will get you a better ATAR however only if you can handle 2 unit, then go ahead and pick it.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I'm wondering this too! Apparently General will scale you down and 2 unit will get you a better ATAR however only if you can handle 2 unit, then go ahead and pick it.
General scales worse than 2U but never ever pick a subject based purely on scaling value.

jnney

lemon
HSC
If you continue to rote learn without understanding why something works, you will have a hard time in year 12. Actually for 2u rote learning is okay - well at least for year 11 although you shouldnt really. But for 3u it is fundamental.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)