Is Our Taste In Music Shaped When We're Younger? (1 Viewer)

eja2000

HSC
My favourite music seems to be that which I listened to when I was younger (young being late 90's and early 00's)..I'm wondering if this is just me, or does anybody else find this too?

I'm wondering if our taste in music is actually shaped when we're young.

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
wrong section nigga

and no i don't think so

my parents didn't really listen to music and I was all about the spice girls etc

and now i listen to things that are not the spice girls

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
so how would you explain all those people who 'rebel' against their parents etc and turn to listening to hard rock/death metal/etc during their midteens or young adult lives? It's certainly not part of the norm to grow up exposed to that music from a young age.

I think a large portion of our tastes are influenced by what our parents listen to. And then our peers. We want to be able to relate to people, and music is a great way to do that when we're young. As we get older, and get more into independent thought, that's when people start to explore different kinds of music for themselves and develop wider tastes (or just stick to regurgitated pop)

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
lwol that's what i did

i was all about Maiden when I was in year 12 (still am y o l o)

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
i went through that phase too until I realised I didn't actually like it that much (lol)

Last edited:

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
No way

maiden, zeppelin, floyd, any older-ish funk/blues/metal/rock/prog rock

everyone should listen to it always

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
YES FLOYD. AND ZEPPELIN. ALWAYS. Prog rock is probably my favourite genre, as long as it doesn't turn into shoe gaze, but that's more a thing that happened in the 90s.

Just never really got into maiden.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Listening to music over and over again creates neural pathways in the brain receptive to the particular musical pattern. As you get older, your brain has more difficulty creating these new neural pathways, and this means that you stop enjoying new music and think the music you heard when you were in your teens and early twenties is the best music ever.
It's entirely possible to like music different to that which you enjoyed when you were young, but the older you get the lower the possibility of this happening.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
A person I know who you would expect to be the last person to be into current pop music actually loves the 90s/early 00s pop music she grew up with, despite the fact it is more or less the same thing now.

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
A person I know who you would expect to be the last person to be into current pop music actually loves the 90s/early 00s pop music she grew up with, despite the fact it is more or less the same thing now.
no it's not

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
no it's not
In the late 90s/early 00s pop music was mainly dominated by dance-pop or teen-pop. The current revival in popularity of electronic/techno music in today's popular music scene (in contrast to the rise of urban/hip-hop in the early to late 00s) and the increasing popularity of boybands and teen 'sensations' seems to suggest that the trends we are experiencing right now are similar to those seen back in those days, just with different people. Many commentators have even dubbed the insanely popular 'Gangnam Style' dance moves as effectively the modern day version of the 'Macarena' which was massive back in the late 90s.

Last edited:

Shooky_Nooky

HSC
Uni Grad
I think our music tastes pretty much change until we hit our late teens. I remember being a kid and into the Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Hanson.... and anything else that I would now classify as shitty. I also used to love listening to RnB (still do).

However, I mostly like symphonic metal now (i.e. Nightwish and Epica), and pretty much anything I think has a good sound, good riffs, or at least some lyrical value (unlike most of contemporary society's music imo). For instance, I love the Beatles, Elton John, Elvis etc. yet I also love Maiden, Rhapsody, Disturbed etc. (They're not all classed as being in the same category, I just thought it would be easier to bunch them together) :D... and even dabble in classical and soul music...

Edit: I don't classify Hanson as Shitty... just yet :p

Last edited:

celine19

HSC
Hmm maybe it does influence it, I heard a lot of latin, Spanish and Brazilian music growing up, along with all the other stuff...now it's definitely resurfaced after i went through the "pop" phase :p. Also when we think of 90's music, there was more than what was played on the radios!

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Hmm maybe it does influence it, I heard a lot of latin, Spanish and Brazilian music growing up, along with all the other stuff...now it's definitely resurfaced after i went through the "pop" phase :p. Also when we think of 90's music, there was more than what was played on the radios!
Weren't you born in 1996

Man I wish I could remember the music I listened to when I was 3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)