Is part-time job more managenable in uni than in HSC? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
i heard uni is more manageable because you dont have to attend classes as much and because your aiming to pass than its less hectic than the HSC lol

is this true, what about the workload at uni?
I honestly don't think i would've handled part-time work in HSC, so would that mean i would struggle at uni even if my time management skills were slightly improved?

I'm really looking foward to finding work this year so please shed some light on this. thanx

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I do not think i am going to be working, i am at uni 4 days a week

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Boo hoo, I have uni 4 days.

Go get some part time work waiting tables on Friday/Saturday nights or something, idk

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
too right i'm sick of soft cunts on this website.

septimus.smith

HSC
How can you afford to not work and what stopped you from working during your HSC?

HSC
N/A
How can you afford to not work and what stopped you from working during your HSC?
I didnt really need the money for anything yet and i had to achieve my uai goal which was 98+.

Reason why i want to work this year is to gain some experience and be more independent than having to leech money from my parents.
HSC is also one of the most stressful year which is why i didnt work.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
question is.. did you achieve ur goal.. cos then u are soft..

i had a part time job in HSC and the first 3 yrs of uni... after that i had to knuckle down when the contact hours went up...

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I was working 25+ hours a week, until like a month before the HSC final exams and achieved much greater than the UAI I needed.

I have failed many courses as a result of trying and failing to balance work and study.

You can do both, but it's much harder at uni. Uni is more flexible around part time work, but the amount of independent learning means you have to be really organized and motivated. studying all afternoon, going to work all night, and then having to get up at 9am to go to uni in the morning gets very tiresome after 13 weeks.

There are four competing factors in any uni students life- work, study, social and the all important rest. Most students find at least one is usually suffering.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
i heard uni is more manageable because you dont have to attend classes as much and because your aiming to pass than its less hectic than the HSC lol

is this true, what about the workload at uni?
I honestly don't think i would've handled part-time work in HSC, so would that mean i would struggle at uni even if my time management skills were slightly improved?

I'm really looking foward to finding work this year so please shed some light on this. thanx
Uni has a smaller amount of contact hours so i would assume it would be easier (but then there is the level of work outside of class which is pretty high), kind of depends on what course you're doing. I seriously cannot see how someone could fail so poorly with time management that they would be incapable of holding down a job simultaneously to undertaking a degree.

"dont have to attend classes as much and because your aiming to pass than its less hectic than the HSC". I really don't get how people put all this effort into the HSC and then think they'll kick back at uni, it's not as though the HSC actually provides you with employment for the rest of your life.

If you did achieve 98+ congratulations, but also how on earth did you manage it with your atrocious grammar. i also know people who have achieved UAI's very similar to this and worked part time during the HSC.

"HSC is also one of the most stressful year which is why i didnt work." I see no reason as to why people stress about the HSC, you know what you've got to do to have the best selection of courses.... you either do it or you do not there is no 'try'.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
At my uni we get to pick our timetable, so that makes life slightly easier in getting those days off, or later classes in the day. I used it to my advantage because my job requires that I work during the weekdays as well, which is difficult considering uni demands the same. Because I do engineering the number of contact hours I usually take is more than 20 per week.

I held a part time job throughout the hsc too, but that was work during the weekends. I hope to see if I can juggle uni and work this semester while getting assignments and revision done during the weekends.

But never sacrifice your studies for your job. The sooner you get out of uni, the sooner you get to find a real job with a real income.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Uni has a smaller amount of contact hours so i would assume it would be easier (but then there is the level of work outside of class which is pretty high), kind of depends on what course you're doing. I seriously cannot see how someone could fail so poorly with time management that they would be incapable of holding down a job simultaneously to undertaking a degree.
Full time study load is 40 hours a week. Any job you hold is in addition to this. 4 subjects pile up, and all your assignments come at once. You might be capable, but it's not pleasant. Plus, you'll often find yourself rostered on for work at the least convenient times. You'll want all the time you can get around exams, and a lot of places are just not that considerate with rostering.

If you like to leave things to the last minute (and for many uni assignments the 'last minute' will vary from a day in advance, to a week, the 'last minute' may be more than a month in advance), you'll constantly find work interfering with when you'd like to be studying, and you really have to plan to get the work done when it doesn't seem important and you'd rather be relaxing.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Don't worry i have a good idea of what to expect.

during the HSC i was working 15-20 hours a week, playing atleast 15 hours of sport + youth league on weekends which most often took up an entire day with the required travel times & was at school from 8am most days due to extension classes timetabled before school.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I assume its going to be more difficult than the hsc as:

1- Im pretty sure i'll be spending much more time studying.
2- I'll probably need to pick up more shifts to pay for uni (textbooks etc).
3- I'll have less time to just chill out due to the above two.

= Stress

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I just called my work to tell them about uni. going to work when i am on holidays, and maybe the occasional weekend. I think i would be exhausted if i had to do it during uni, cos i would be at uni from monday-thursday, then working fridays from 5am -2 and saturday from 5am-2.

erm

HSC
As above: quit being soft. A few engineering students on here with high contact hours work during the week and still get good marks. It's possible.

velzee

In silence let him lie.
HSC
As above: quit being soft. A few engineering students on here with high contact hours work during the week and still get good marks. It's possible.​
True. :haha:
Im doing an engineering/physics course and Ive got 24 contact hours. Due to timetabling Im actually at uni for a total of 34 hours and 4 days. I am also continuing my part time job of 15-18 hours a week.

I preety much did the same thing during the hsc. I didnt drop any subjects so had no frees lol. Worked part time job 3-5 nights a week. I managed a decent uai of in the mid 80's.

Learn how to practice affective time management people! Grow up!

Oh yerh the person who said "i want to be financially inependant from parents" or whatever. just LOL

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
in my first year i worked 6 hours a day as well as 5 day full time uni to pay my rent and expenses.

stop crying and get a fucking job.

Smithereens

HSC
Is it possible to sustain so many working hours and maintain a credit-distinction average?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)