Is Patriotsm/nationalism good or bad? (1 Viewer)

Is Patriotsm/nationalism good or bad?

• Good

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters

impervious182

HSC
ASNSWR127 said:
"I am a patriot - not a nationalist"

patriotism is good

nationalism is bad
I don't agree. There have been many instances of nationalistic notions which have proven successful... (many unsuccessful too)... Though I agree that patriotism, as long as it is not extreme, can also be good.

E

Empyrean444

Patriotism is good if it is mild. It serves to create and maintain socio political cohesion and stability, and hence generates strength within a nation. At this level, so long as it does not become exclusionist and separarist (both of whcih invariably lead to strife), it can coexist with internationalism and "global" unity, and is hence a positive think.

Jingoism and national extremism, on the other hand, is one of the greatest evils in the world's history. It becomes extremist and separatist, promotes nationalistic supremacy, and becoems an anathema to international relations and diplomacy - which, of course, must invariably lead to nations being at daggers drawn, hence resulting in conflict. At this level it is also dangerous, as it becomes a tool for manipulating and exhorting people (the masses, if you will) to fight and follow without question the orders, demands and "truths" of the government in question (e.g. wwII Germany, modern day China). Important truths are often ignored and negated, and people often refuse to accept the wrongs that their nation has comitted now and in the past (e.g. the fact that many Chinese students don't believe Tianamen square incident occuered; cf with the misuse of history). The people become blind, believing that the country is a perfect (both logically/functionally and morally) utopia simply because it is "their wonderful country .

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
In every sense I detest the government, history and people of this nation. Burn down parliament house. Hate the nation.

Love the physical landscape and environment though and would die to defend such, in the unlikely event this was necessary.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Our parliament is a tomb built in a hill. Do yaw worst, 'people'

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Patriotism in Australia is LOL, because if we show that we're patriotic = automatically racists.

When the Americans do it, everyone is in aww 'the Yankees are uniting together' bla bla statement.

:pirate:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
chicky_pie said:
Patriotism in Australia is LOL, because if we show that we're patriotic = automatically racists.

When the Americans do it, everyone is in aww 'the Yankees are uniting together' bla bla statement.

:pirate:
Yeah that's interesting. The most vocal/apparently genuine displays of love for our country are associated with racism. It runs deep in our history. A commitment to a White Australia was said to be the one uniting thread binding all the colonies to federation. Our history is uniquely defined by race, really, due to the obvious, gapping gap with the indigenes and hostility of our+NZ's exclusively Asian neighbours
We're a less extreme version of South Africa

Last edited:

rasengan90

HSC
Nationalism is usually associated with white Christian Australians, you don't often see patriotism for Australia in other groups.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Iron said:
Yeah that's interesting. The most vocal/apparently genuine displays of love for our country are associated with racism. It runs deep in our history. A commitment to a White Australia was said to be the one uniting thread binding all the colonies to federation. Our history is uniquely defined by race, really, due to the obvious, gapping gap with the indigenes and hostility of our+NZ's exclusively Asian neighbours

see, my point exactly.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Iron said:
I find the perception in our society that racism is absolutely evil, all the time, stupid and frustrating. Calling someone a racist is the worst insult you could throw at them. It ruins careers and lives. Pointlessly when it's not at all necessarily evil.

Racism, in as much as identifying and acknowledging that there may be differences between races, is well founded, and should be open for discussion. See the eugenics thread.

The real evil is xenophobia. Xenophobia is the irrational fear and hatred to the cold logical detachment and scientific analysis of good old fashioned racism. I don't think you can have a nationalistic society without a high proportion of harmfull xenophobia. Nationalism naturally leads to the harmfull marginalisation if peoples by xenophobia.

lionking1191

HSC
definition of patriotic:[SIZE=-1]inspired by love for your country

the said 'inspiration' could obviously take many forms and be expressed in vastly different ways. such an over-generalized poll obviously would fail to get any meaningful response whatsoever.
[/SIZE]

Graney said:
I find the perception in our society that racism is absolutely evil, all the time, stupid and frustrating. Calling someone a racist is the worst insult you could throw at them. It ruins careers and lives. Pointlessly when it's not at all necessarily evil.

Racism, in as much as identifying and acknowledging that there may be differences between races, is well founded, and should be open for discussion. See the eugenics thread.

The real evil is xenophobia. Xenophobia is the irrational fear and hatred to the cold logical detachment and scientific analysis of good old fashioned racism. I don't think you can have a nationalistic society without a high proportion of harmfull xenophobia. Nationalism naturally leads to the harmfull marginalisation if peoples by xenophobia.
well rascism, according to wikipedia, is defined as the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

so much for those 'differences'

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
I agree with Keating, patriotism is good, nationalism is not. I think nationalism is good for average individual of the country, the regular, mainsteam, steretypical Australian, but is bad for minority groups and worse for the international community.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)