Is repeating a reasonable option for me (1 Viewer)

whitebeard250

HSC
I know the topic of repeating has been posted and discussed many times in the past everywhere including on this forum, and the general consensus is that it is usually a bad idea.
However I am feeling quite lost with my situation and feel repeating could be a reasonable/ok option for me. Without going into too much details, I've always been decent academically through high school, with overall decent grades/rankings(looked something like top30/35-ish for eng and elective, top10/15 for maths and science/s; ~180 people in my year). I was accelerated(by 1 year) in maths until end of year 11, where I was removed from the acceleration program after poor performance in the 2U trial. It was around this time where I started to struggle academically and with school overall. It didn't get better and I basically plummeted through to year 12 and my marks and ranks dropped(hard, think like bottom 5 for everything, other than maths since I was accelerated and got grade average). Won't specify circumstances but it was related to an assessment misadventure which is a major reason for 2 of my very low ranks, terrible work ethic, discipline, procrastination(built up over the years, was never a studious/organised student, I was 'smart' and relied on cramming), lifestyle and later severe insomnia, attendance, mental health and seeing counsellor and psychologist.
Now, I'm looking at bottom internal ranks for almost all subjects and a terrible ATAR(calculators show 35-60), not to mention my low attendance which could endanger my hsc, while a bit over an year ago I was looking for low-mid 90s. If it matters my school is placed somewhere between rank 25-50 in the state.
So back to repeating; perhaps a reasonable option for me here? I understand that it is almost always advised against, repeaters oftendon't do any better the second time around, other pathways are better options etc etc, but I feel for my situation it may be justified, since I am basically going to get a 50 atar(if my attendance rate is even accepted), while I was expected to, and capable of getting much higher. Also, going to TAFE is viewed extremely dimly by my parents(asian btw), and kind of by myself too, so that's another thing. Getting into a low requirement course at a low requirement university is of course an option, but there's a chance that won't even be available to me. Repeating and start afresh and getting a satisfactory atar(that's the plan at least), to me, seems like a viable path to take.
Appreciate any advice.

hellohowslife

HSC
I know the topic of repeating has been posted and discussed many times in the past everywhere including on this forum, and the general consensus is that it is usually a bad idea.
However I am feeling quite lost with my situation and feel repeating could be a reasonable/ok option for me. Without going into too much details, I've always been decent academically through high school, with overall decent grades/rankings(looked something like top30/35-ish for eng and elective, top10/15 for maths and science/s; ~180 people in my year). I was accelerated(by 1 year) in maths until end of year 11, where I was removed from the acceleration program after poor performance in the 2U trial. It was around this time where I started to struggle academically and with school overall. It didn't get better and I basically plummeted through to year 12 and my marks and ranks dropped(hard, think like bottom 5 for everything, other than maths since I was accelerated and got grade average). Won't specify circumstances but it was related to an assessment misadventure which is a major reason for 2 of my very low ranks, terrible work ethic, discipline, procrastination(built up over the years, was never a studious/organised student, I was 'smart' and relied on cramming), lifestyle and later severe insomnia, attendance, mental health and seeing counsellor and psychologist.
Now, I'm looking at bottom internal ranks for almost all subjects and a terrible ATAR(calculators show 35-60), not to mention my low attendance which could endanger my hsc, while a bit over an year ago I was looking for low-mid 90s. If it matters my school is placed somewhere between rank 25-50 in the state.
So back to repeating; perhaps a reasonable option for me here? I understand that it is almost always advised against, repeaters oftendon't do any better the second time around, other pathways are better options etc etc, but I feel for my situation it may be justified, since I am basically going to get a 50 atar(if my attendance rate is even accepted), while I was expected to, and capable of getting much higher. Also, going to TAFE is viewed extremely dimly by my parents(asian btw), and kind of by myself too, so that's another thing. Getting into a low requirement course at a low requirement university is of course an option, but there's a chance that won't even be available to me. Repeating and start afresh and getting a satisfactory atar(that's the plan at least), to me, seems like a viable path to take.
Appreciate any advice.
Whats your attendance?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you now being more effectively treated for your mental health-related issues?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)