Is SAM accurate?? (1 Viewer)

omg_a

HSC
im just wondering because i put in my assessment marks (i know they're probably different to my hsc aligned mark) i got a much higher uai than i was expecting-97.2 i think. i thought you had to have all your subjects in the 90's to get a uai like that.

my marks are
maths 93
maths ext1 72
eng adv 85
bio 98
chem 86
french cont. 93
french ext 86

does anyone else find they get oddly high uais?

grimreaper

HSC
They are not your assessment marks - they are simply the marks your school sends to the bored of studies. Theyll be changed to match how well your year actually does in the hsc (I cant be bothered explaining how)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
omg_a said:
im just wondering because i put in my assessment marks (i know they're probably different to my hsc aligned mark) i got a much higher uai than i was expecting-97.2 i think. i thought you had to have all your subjects in the 90's to get a uai like that.

my marks are
maths 93
maths ext1 72
eng adv 85
bio 98
chem 86
french cont. 93
french ext 86

I'm not a SAM expert (I'll wait for Lazarus to reply!) but it's accurate to the previous year's statistics (and even pre-2003), so it may fluctuate depending on the candidature of your year. Your marks look really good tho, gz :)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
my bro put in all his marks and it predicted his uai exactly as wat it was

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
omg_a said:

my marks are
maths 93
maths ext1 72
eng adv 85
bio 98
chem 86
french cont. 93
french ext 86

Hi Ali! You're right, aligned marks are different to our assesment marks, but its hard to say by how much. Oxley isnt a top 100 school........
However I would say a 93 in maths definitely = a Band 6 (90+ aligned), and a 72 in maths ext is a high E3 or E4. Im not sure about our English assesments; I didnt do the Paper 2 trial. If you do as well in your exams as you did in the assesments, then you will definitly be looking at a 95+ UAI

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
Well one person got a UAI of 99.75 in 2003:
Mathematics - 97
Software Design And Development - 86
Mathematics Extension 2 - 99
Mathematics Extension 1 - 100
Physics - 95
Chemistry - 91
English Advanced - 87

and SAM predicted his mark for 2003 to be 99.90!!!! thats about 0.15 off...not that much I guess but there is still a difference.

fantasia

HSC
are those his assessment marks or his aligned hsc marks?

besides it impossible for someone to do mathematics, mathematics extension 1, and mathematics extension 2.

also those marks seem too high... 99 for extension 2 and 100 for extension 1.. thats crazy. i think you're totally confused

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Thaoroxy2001's figures seem accurate.

It's impossible to calculate UAIs perfectly - UAC just doesn't release enough data.

An error margin of ~0.3 is sufficient for most people though.

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
fantasia said:
are those his assessment marks or his aligned hsc marks?

besides it impossible for someone to do mathematics, mathematics extension 1, and mathematics extension 2.

also those marks seem too high... 99 for extension 2 and 100 for extension 1.. thats crazy. i think you're totally confused
Actually those marks belong to the guy that topped 4u maths and came second in 3 unit last year...he did 2u mathematics in 2002 so it wasn't counted.

fantasia

HSC
damm his marks are crazy... if only he had done a bit better in english he'd have a chance of getting 100

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
speaking from my own set of marks, SAM had a position variance of UAI 0.10, which seems very reasonable :)

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
Well one person got a UAI of 99.75 in 2003:
Mathematics - 97
Software Design And Development - 86
Mathematics Extension 2 - 99
Mathematics Extension 1 - 100
Physics - 95
Chemistry - 91
English Advanced - 87

and SAM predicted his mark for 2003 to be 99.90!!!! thats about 0.15 off...not that much I guess but there is still a difference.
;) SAM is actually very accurate ~~ the problem arises due to .5 rounding
Person a with Exam 89/100 Ass 90/100 HSC mark 90/100
Person b with Exam 90/100 Ass 90/100 HSC mark 90/100
will both enter 90 for that subject while person b should have inputed 89.5 ~~ if that happens in 5 2unit subjects then there is a difference of 2.5 HSC marks, so there lies a difference~~ I may be wrong about that though

One more thing ~~ this may sound really stupid ~~ I was curious cuase LAZ said that the median UAI was 66 ~~ doest that mean that the middle UAI was 66 and therefore the worst possiable UAI is 100-(100-66=34*2=68)=32 and therefore the worst possible UAI would be 32, cause i'm sure people get * for 29.95 and below~~ just curious, thats all

One more thing, why does UAC ask students for a UAI or not, if someone wasnt planning to goto uni and recieved a UAI, it wouldnt change the demand for any uni courses and thus would have no point in UAC to waste resoures in asking for that information, if is for security/privacy reason, no one is allowed to access ur UAI anyways, isnt it a bigger hassle to take names out of the UAI calcuation when their all entered into a computer after the exams have been marked - this is also sounding like a stupid question :mad:

one more thing ~~I'm planning to transfer to another uni second yr, and when you aplly as a NRSL ur get a refined mark from both uni marks and ur UAI ~~ it is poissble that LAZ can creat a calculator for that in futur version of SAM?

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Snapwizard said:
One more thing ~~ this may sound really stupid ~~ I was curious cuase LAZ said that the median UAI was 66 ~~ doest that mean that the middle UAI was 66 and therefore the worst possiable UAI is 100-(100-66=34*2=68)=32 and therefore the worst possible UAI would be 32, cause i'm sure people get * for 29.95 and below~~ just curious, thats all

Im not sure, maybe it has something to do with the fact that UAC's scaling process takes into account all the people who completed year 10 but did not do the HSC. If the UAI is a rank then the median and mean UAI should be 50 shouldnt it?

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Thats makes sence, i just wasnt aware that number of people on each rank gets less as the UAI's get lower ~~

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The number of HSC students on each rank decreases as the UAIs decrease.

If you were looking at the UAIs of both current HSC students and the SC students from two years beforehand, there'd be roughly the same number of students on each rank.

The median UAI for HSC students is ~66 whereas the median UAI for the entire age cohort (which includes everyone who sat for the SC) would be ~50.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
laurie_field said:
hence 66 is the mean of those who go through to yr 12 and get a uai, whereas counting all the others it is an even scaling
Is it the mean? I thought it was the median. Laz which is it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)