Is Samuel Davis a retard? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Okay, i'm being completely serious when asking this...

So as you may know, Sam Davis wrote a book on the IPT HSC Course... and a few unfortunate schools (mine included) have been forced to use it as the textbook for the HSC

This RETARD WROTE 650 PAGES WORTH OF INFORMATION!!!!!!!

Seriously, for one section (Sorry, cant remember the name of it... it may have been parity checks) I decided to compare Davis book to Heinemann and Jacranda...

For this section, Jacaranda wrote about 3 quarters of a page, Heinemann wrote half. Sam Davis wrote 9 PAGES on this section alone, 3 pages of which was a HSC question... so 6 pages worth of crap on this section!!!!

Do teachers not see this when buying us this book? Is Sam Davis a retard for thinking we need this much information?

There is no F'n point memorising 6 pages worth of notes when there is half a page PERFECTLY explaining the concept. Davis does this for 650+ pages!!!!!

/// end rant!

Geoffo11

HSC
Samuel Davis does go into a fair bit of depth. I suppose the benefits of this are knowing the fine details will help support better marks. If I were to use Heinemann alone I wouldn't know half of what I consider necessary for this course. It is a little daunting though seeing page upon page of condensed information, but I'd much rather a book with everything I need to know than several scattered notes obtained from various sources - not saying that many sources are bad, just one ultimate and refined one could be more helpful. If it's too much for you, you can always get the excel IPT book.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Desk layout

Syllabus | Text
---------------------
Notes

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Samuel Davis does go into a fair bit of depth. I suppose the benefits of this are knowing the fine details will help support better marks. If I were to use Heinemann alone I wouldn't know half of what I consider necessary for this course. It is a little daunting though seeing page upon page of condensed information, but I'd much rather a book with everything I need to know than several scattered notes obtained from various sources - not saying that many sources are bad, just one ultimate and refined one could be more helpful. If it's too much for you, you can always get the excel IPT book.
Yeah I got the Excel IPT Book, and honestly, its the only one I even look at :D
I dont touch Sam Davis book... too many walls of text!

kyokaku92

HSC
Okay, i'm being completely serious when asking this...

So as you may know, Sam Davis wrote a book on the IPT HSC Course... and a few unfortunate schools (mine included) have been forced to use it as the textbook for the HSC

This RETARD WROTE 650 PAGES WORTH OF INFORMATION!!!!!!!

Seriously, for one section (Sorry, cant remember the name of it... it may have been parity checks) I decided to compare Davis book to Heinemann and Jacranda...

For this section, Jacaranda wrote about 3 quarters of a page, Heinemann wrote half. Sam Davis wrote 9 PAGES on this section alone, 3 pages of which was a HSC question... so 6 pages worth of crap on this section!!!!

Do teachers not see this when buying us this book? Is Sam Davis a retard for thinking we need this much information?

There is no F'n point memorising 6 pages worth of notes when there is half a page PERFECTLY explaining the concept. Davis does this for 650+ pages!!!!!

/// end rant!
I hate Sam Davis too but apparently his follows the updated IPT syllabus.

Heinemann FTW only because it's easier to understand

kcrocks

HSC
summarise buddy.

Summarise
That's the only thing I did for the whole IPT subject. Get that boring and thick book and summarise. Actually me and my friend took on 2/3 modules each, and that way we both got band 6's, so it's heaps worth it.

dragondilesh

HSC
sam davis is way better then jac or heine since the level of detail. it allows you to gain the b6 answers with ease. BUT you gotta summerise, not that it is totally off topic but TOO MUCH.

gallen88

HSC
I know this is off topic but I have a Samuel Davis textbook that my family friend gave to me. I'm not doing it for the HSC (never did prelim course either) if anyone who doesn't think Samuel Davis is an doofus and needs this textbook. PLEASE INBOX.

I've looked over it, seems to be quite extensive which seems to be good. I just think Samuel was very passionate (the lame idea) or he had a lot of time on his hands :tongue: (what I think). However, I can see where you're coming from OP it is frustrating when you want notes straight to the point but you can't seem to find that.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know how you guys intend to study for the HSC but having multiple reference points or explanations for something can be helpful if you want more information on something especially as some of the concepts in IPT can be confusing or not easily understandable.

As others have mentioned you can summarise, and there are other alternative resources out there.

ps. If you think <insert textbook name> is bad, wait until you see the required vs. recommended reading lists for uni :)

ttenroca

HSC
The Davis Text is far too detailed. Information overload, but it is a reasonable resource.

Doesn't cover AMS because he doesnt understand it because, quite frankly, a lot of it makes no sense.

He doesn't write the HSC exam but complains at the annual conference about all the questions. Used to at least.

Clever man but the text is a paperweight in my classroom

TamzidZ

HSC
Actually he is an engineer. My software teacher met him and says "he's a pretty nice fellow". Apparently the extra amount of information is because he wants to show off that he is an engineer. It should be noted that our teacher still roasts his textbook anyway.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Actually he is an engineer. My software teacher met him and says "he's a pretty nice fellow". Apparently the extra amount of information is because he wants to show off that he is an engineer. It should be noted that our teacher still roasts his textbook anyway.
Aside from all the extra bs I actually like the textbook a lot. I like it because I know there's not going to be any section in it which doesn't have the required amount of info for the HSC, as opposed to Heinemann which has some stuff that is missing.

Mostly the people trashing on it aren't the ones getting the band 6's 👀

TamzidZ

HSC
I don't want to get political but sdd>ipt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)