• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is school boring and irrelevant to you? (1 Viewer)

nick86

Hey all, I just want to ask you all about what you learn at school. Do you find your subjects are boring? If so, what makes them boring? Do you find your subjects irrelevant? If so, what makes them irrelevant? Do you find your teachers teaching style outdated? What would you do to make learning a subject more enjoyable and relevant?

Just interested in what people have to say about this. Most of my subjects bore me to death and the teachers don't make it any easier to focus.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i find all my subjects interesting.. which is why i chose them, and having good teachers does help
religion feels kinda irrelevant at times.. but my teacher has a passion for what we are learning now (elisabeth schussler fiorenze/hasidism) so its interesting

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Boring and inane. I do it to get a UAI, that's it, and even that isn't all that motivational... :(

stareathesun

i'm a chick i'm a chick i'm a chick i'm a chick i'
Originally posted by nick86
Hey all, I just want to ask you all about what you learn at school. Do you find your subjects are boring? If so, what makes them boring?
Some of them are boring...just for reasons like its something your not interested in learning, or there is a different teacher.

Do you find your subjects irrelevant? If so, what makes them irrelevant?
I think that I made a mistake sticking with advanced maths.... It's not that they are irrelevant, just that some things in the subject just don't add up. Why would you choose an irrelevant subject?

Do you find your teachers teaching style outdated?
No, not really.

What would you do to make learning a subject more enjoyable and relevant?
More practical things, like a "hands-on" type learning...that always helps me. But most of my teachers have get senses of humour so it makes it a whole lot easier to ask questions when you can have fun at the same time.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
irrelevant yes, i couldnt see when i would use them again, didn't know what they had to do with the world

the company made them interesting

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
HELL YES!

i think that going to school is quite a waste of time...all we do is sit in class while a teacher rambles or reads out of the tex book word for wod...i would get so much more tsudy done at home in a day rather than goign to school

argh school blergh!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i actually quite like school, i would hate to have to sit at home and do the work myself cos u dont get to see ur friends and sometimes classtimes is fun too...the only subjects that i dont like (i dont HATE them, but i dont look forward to them) are eng 2u and ee1. there are things that may not be relevant in real life, but is important in uni which will lead to "real life"...eventually :D

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ~*HSC 4 life*~
HELL YES!

all we do is sit in class while a teacher rambles or reads out of the tex book word for wod...i would get so much more tsudy done at home in a day rather than goign to school

argh school blergh!
Agreed!

santaslayer

HSC
yes..it was very boring, esp leading up to the trials and hsc...........teachers are crap except for sum and the whole school drives me to sleep

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
yeah to me itz teachers that make the class boring. Like i actually like the sybulss content but the way it is taught. In the past ( year10) i had 2 really mad teachers that taught heaps well. One was really fun and told us lots of related to example. Even if u were really sad, u went to class and came out laughing. People were literally glued to their seats and wouldve stayed in at lunch if they could. it was the maddst thing. I have also had one more mad teacher she was just really really friendly really easy to talk to and a really really good teacher. It was funny coz in class she would be like write a essay and then ppl would start talking aboiut say a tv show and she would be like yeah aye wot happened on that tv show? lol so she completely joined on convos but then she was like work. so she had time for work, we all did so well and for fun she had the balance perfect ( and at times when we mucked yup she could even admit it to be her faultP) she was mooding sometimes, that was her downside and she got heaps cut if we missed her lesson. so yeah thats my story and to me teachers really affect the subject. These two teacher i talked about raelly rule, its annoying though coz i can never have them again ( we basiclly keep da same teachers in yr11 and yr12) even for english like we have the same teachers for adavacned, extension, and e2. Lol this post is seriously long so ill go!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i found it kinda irrelevant, like i just wanted to study the field i am interested in, and there are no high school courses offered that have much to do with it...but apart form that it was ok.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I find English completley irrelevant well not completley it can be good sometimes.

The other subjects (the ones I actually got to pick) I like so they dont seem as boring but maths on a friday afternoon is always boring.

angy_elic

Very Old Member
HSC
I find school relevant, because i dont actually think you'd honestly get that much study done alone at home, but a lot of the content in the courses is irrelevant. I find myself analysing texts that dont need analysing (such as general reading books). Im not the only one i know who does this!

Tarek

chemistry is the most boring subject i have ever picked. y? because its my teacher.... i think he can make playing games boring!
maths... yeh its pretty boring the teacher just talks tooo much and we just have to listen to her babble on... waste of time! we end up getting all our maths work done as h/w.. :(

physics and economics are really interesting yet again its because of the teachers i got.

english will always be boring.... doesnt matter about the teacher..

HELL YES!

i think that going to school is quite a waste of time...all we do is sit in class while a teacher rambles or reads out of the tex book word for wod...i would get so much more tsudy done at home in a day rather than goign to school

argh school blergh!
i LIKE TOTALY AGREE i can learn alot more at home....

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
I like all my subjects that I picked.. thank god, i was getting so sick of compulsory subjects *PE*.
Psychology is good because I just love the subject, even though the teacher is completely slack. Biology is pretty good and chemistrys mainly alright because we have such a good teacher. english is fun and maths i can deal with.

= Jennifer =

HSC
here is my opinion:

Originally posted by Ziff
Boring and inane. I do it to get a UAI, that's it, and even that isn't all that motivational... :(
HELL YES!

argh school blergh!
Originally posted by santaslayer
yes..it was very boring, esp leading up to the trials and hsc...........teachers are crap except for sum and the whole school drives me to sleep

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
the only boring subjects are my eco and legal AND history class reason being;

1. not challenging enough
2. teachers think we need the definition of EVERY word
3. read out of textbook and off overhead....
4. asked to do exercises in class than for hw
5. could have explained it better myself
6. teacher is boring, outdated, voice is monotonous, nothing said is relevant to syllabus and always copying off shit from the board...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
instead of listing everything that is bad about school...what is it that we WANT from a lesson at school? i personally would prefer more "intelligent" discussions and interaction in the classroom, with the textbook work and questions/exercises done at home. even so, i can see how this is not possible in my case as, one: most of my classes seem to be unable to place any intelligent input into whatever class discussions there are and two: the majority wont do the bloody work at home anyway so the only way for the work to be done is, in class under the eagle eye of the teacher..sigh

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I enjoyed only 3 of my subjects and even then that was pushing me a bit. While I was at school, I never saw the point because all I wanted to do was stay home and sleep.

But now I see the importance of it all. I'm so wise :rolleyes:.

MouNtY

the only thing that seems irrelevant to me is the content of the general mathematics syllabus. it is totally irrelevant to anything that almost everyone would ever wnt to do in life. especially algebra, its not really hard but it does get monotonous

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)