Is school certificate really important (1 Viewer)

mrkeyss

HSC
The SC

After four years of excruciatingly, agonising pain and turmoil, we year 10 are expected to be tested on what I percieve as insignificant.

I mean yeah, this is our first external exam, but really at the end of the day do these numbers (marks) truly have meaning to someone like me who aims to continue and furthermore achieve in their senior years of high school.

I personally am going to say, who cares, because at the end of the day the SC is just another one of the BOS' silly attempts to see are ''achievements'' academically and what the "teachers" can do. I mean yeah, for sure, we are all academically capable, I know personally I will succeed in the humanities part of things (English, history) but as for the unwanted subjects which I have been forced to do for 4 years ie: maths and science, i know i will miserably fail (even though you cannot fail SC).

I don't plan to study intensively, actually I'll be cramming.

Any comments?

K

khorne

It means shit all if you're staying in school...Personally, I don't study/didn't study for the sc...it's bullshit

silence--

HSC
the sc isn't a particularly useful credential if you want to continue to the HSC. Even my teachers said so, lol.

it's up to you whether you want to put any effort in or not. it doesn't matter all that much.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
It was designed for school leavers to have some form of accreditation. If you're going on to year 12 it means nothing. Though they do use it to determine your progress by year 12, so if you want you can fail your sc then go really good in year 12 and receive a 'most improved' award from your school :rudolf:

super.muppy

HSC
it just acts as an indicator of where u stand in external examines and it supposed to give u a generall feel for these formal exams... but other than that its insignificant stress.

HSC
N/A
To be honest, I personally thought it was worthwhile, because you can see how you've actually been since year 7 to 10.
It sort of shows how studious you are, and if you've been revising throughout the years. I mean I know NO ONE in their right mind will sit down and flick through their year 7 texts books, but people in our year (10), should be able to work things out quicker by now, as in maths and science...
It sort of shows how studious you will be for your HSC, even though you might not be doing all of the subjects in your senior years.

But recently, I couldn't give a bollocks about SC. I tried stressing myself out, but I just ended up drawing figures of myself jumping off a cliff.
:apig:

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
its not important
dont bother
its a waste of time

u'll come to regret it in the senior years

Tofuu

HSC
its only important if your leaving school pretty much

so if your planning on going on to yr 11 and 12, it means nothing

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
7-10 is for relaxing and enjoying school, listen in class hand things in on time but dont cry over an exam or succumb to pressure, i felt stressed in year ten just before school certificate and as soon as they were over i realised just how 1 easy it is and 2 meaningless. Kick up the study in year 11 but still enjoy school. Year 12 is where the real work begins but even now 2 days after my hsc is over i wonder what all fuss is about. dont let school consume your life even in hsc.

M@ster P

HSC
7-10 is for relaxing and enjoying school, listen in class hand things in on time but dont cry over an exam or succumb to pressure, i felt stressed in year ten just before school certificate and as soon as they were over i realised just how 1 easy it is and 2 meaningless. Kick up the study in year 11 but still enjoy school. Year 12 is where the real work begins but even now 2 days after my hsc is over i wonder what all fuss is about. dont let school consume your life even in hsc.
lol its easy for us to say cause we finished hsc, the hsc is a stressful period so yeah stay calm

jayz1

HSC
Ok you go fail your school cert. and then repeat yr10.

insideout

HSC
Very well said
Can't talk for the HSC yet as i finish tomorrow
but the school cetificate meant shit all after i finished it! I could not have cared less about what i got in it and no i didn't fail. I really means nothing though, not worth stressing about at all, waste ur time stressing over things that actually matter in the long run..........

C-BAS

HSC
I agree Years 7-10 are for relaxing, as long as you get the basics which will be the foundation for your Year 11/12 education then it's all good. Chill, it really doesn't mean anything. When you're in Year 12 you won't be thinking about how your School Certificate is going to help you.

occer

HSC
N/A
I plan to study on the train to school.

untouchablecuz

HSC
NB: SCHOOL CERTIFICATE MATTERS FOR OVERSEAS UNI'S. so, if you're planning on applying for any ivies/oxbridge/kth/royal institute/l'ecole polytechnique etc.

make sure you do reasonably well in SC.
really? do you know why?

codeberry

HSC
I heard that since the change of UAI to ATAR, they're going to be using the SC results to scale you up or down in the HSC or something like that. Is that true?

Got2Kno91

HSC
First it's "oh the SC doesn't really matter, so I won't try"
then its, "oh, its only prelim, doesn't matter, so won't try"
then you get to the hsc, and convince yourself, "oh, the hsc is overrated, it doesn't matter that much..."

I think the SC is a good measure of 'where your at' after 11 years of total schooling. Its the first accreditation you get. It really examines the fundamentals (literacy/numeracy/ general knowledge) FAR better than the HSC, and if personally I were an employer, I wouldn't mind having access to it to at least take into consideration (though in the real world this rarely happens). Believe me, its a good feeling when you get band 6's in the SC, and revs you up for senior school. I've also heard around about some people being asked for their SC, as someone else referred to earlier. Also, I remember that admission to Ad. English (and therefore ext. I and II) at my school was determined by the SC, with the cut off 85 I think.
If your at all serious, put some work into it. I didn't study all that much, but I put in a fair amount of work, and I was rewarded generously with good results.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)