Is smacking a child ever acceptable? (1 Viewer)

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
I do not think assaulting a child is acceptable, no. I hold that sparingly smacking a toddler for his well being is discipline and not violence.Stop using emotive language and ridiculous comparisons, you are obviously extremely foolish without the slightest grasp of reality.
Impacting upon another person without their consent is assault. Your entire argument reads like 'Well if you only put the tip in just to make them behave it's not raping them'.

Sickening.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Statist Thug: I think its okay to hit children, as long as you don't do it to hard and stuff.

Libertarian: But what gives you the right to make the judgment? Where do you draw the line? Why can you hit children lightly but not adults?

Statist Thug: SHUT UP. EVERYONE KNOWS THERE'S A DIFFERENCE. IT'S JUST COMMON SENSE. MY PARENTS HIT ME AND I TURNED OUT FINE.

ay0_x

HSC
I do not believe in any kind of punishment for children.

I believe that if you grab a child off the road with some force *you can't help pulling it by its arms, hair w/e*, that is not the same as 'punishing' them. if, out of anger, frustration, projected fear, you grab the child and proceed to hit them... That is unecessary, and it is abuse, and it is more of a case of you losing control than anything else.

A child will tell by your panicked running and grabbing them, that they've done something wrong. They can tell by the horror in your eyes. Hitting them when they are out of harm's way, is unecessary.

Hitting a child because they left the stove on, forgot to flush the toilet, made a mess in the house, IMO is unacceptable because a child does not have the same level of cognitive development as an adult to process consequences of such actions.

In regards to parenting, ANY TECHNIQUE, that is used when you are ANGRY and NOT IN CONTROL, is a bad technique. No yelling, no swearing, no smacking. Nothing.

[/end rant]

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
only the mother and father of a child can be a judge (barely) of the correct punishment of their child. i'm not condoning smacking, but you have to take into account the circumstance of the situation ie. is the child being abused constantly, are they being abused in other instances etc.

bring back supernanny we need to teach kids how to behave

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
It's common sense that the sun revolves around the earth!

ay0_x

HSC
only the mother and father of a child can be a judge (barely) of the correct punishment of their child. i'm not condoning smacking, but you have to take into account the circumstance of the situation ie. is the child being abused constantly, are they being abused in other instances etc.

bring back supernanny we need to teach kids how to behave
:( makes me sad... morals are not relative...

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
actually.. i think you non-smackers are converting me to non-smackism.

i understand what you're talking about, and it makes sense to me that smacking isnt necessarily necessary.

*Omie Jay is converted*

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
It's common sense that the sun revolves around the earth!
Some of these people have absolutely no ability to think for themselves whatsoever. If they had been raised to believe that raping children was a good idea, they probably wouldn't question that either.

If you suggested it was wrong, they'd just get really angry and appeal to "common sense" and the obvious correctness of their position.

(and by some of these people, I mean TRUE)

ay0_x

HSC
The only real reason parents smack kids is because they can.

They are bigger, stronger. The child cannot hit back. Really, it's not like these parents gained a PHD in child psychology or have a direct line with God and God is telling them to smack their kids.

A projection of their anger, and their own issues with their parents having smacked them as children, is all that smacking is.

I am quite amazed that people who cried when they were smacked as kids would ever lay a finger on their own children. Do they forget the pain? Is the good beaten out of them until they're an apathetic piece of crap? Or is it just sadism?

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
The only real reason parents smack kids is because they can.

They are bigger, stronger. The child cannot hit back. Really, it's not like these parents gained a PHD in child psychology or have a direct line with God and God is telling them to smack their kids.

A projection of their anger, and their own issues with their parents having smacked them as children, is all that smacking is.
Wow, this post really nailed it.

Planck

Banned
HSC
N/A
The argument I've not heard a reason for is why smacking is better than yelling at a child or putting them on timeout. If they won't understand you yelling at them, why will they associate you smacking them with their action? Won't they just associate smacking them with them being smacked. If they're too 'young' to understand the notions of good and bad, how does smacking enforce anything other than arbitrary violence towards the child?

Antiel

HSC
I am not converted to "non-smackism!"

At the age of two If my parents gave me "the talk" or took away pocket money etc what good would that do???? But if they didnt punish me at all, how would I know if it was wrong? It's gonna be too late to explain by the time I understand!

Dont get me wrong! Im nt saying family violence is acceptible, or that you shoud go around smacking your kid at every little thing because, sure thats going to make them violent. All Im saying is that If you teach the child the value of a smack when nothing else will suffice, thats not making you a violent parent, nor is it going to make your kid a crazy psychotic nutter!!!!

At a young age, smacking is the only way to get a clear "NO!" accross. I mean do you smack your kid if they go to walk onto a road or drink the dish washing liquid, or do you tell the 2 year old "now tommy thats not a very good idea now. tut tut!" and have them do it again... I think the answer should be pretty clear!

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
smacking children to teach them a lesson is no different to punching an adult when they have done something wrong

perfectly acceptable imo

just in the eyes of the law it would be considered assault, whereas hitting the child wouldnt

essentially children are not protected as much by the law as adults

this is obviously a good thing as its not like they cant stand up for themselves or anything

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
adults learn from being hit too

if someone larger and stronger (so strong that fighting back is pointless and will end up in you getting hurt more), assaulted you for doing something wrong, and the there is no legal avenue to pursue, will you learn from your mistakes

this is essentially what is happening in the case of smacking a small child

it doesnt adversely affect the child

so it shouldnt affect the adult, so really we should all physically abuse those who are smaller and weaker than ourselves (thats all of u) when they do something wrong as you will learn to asscociate that action with physical pain

:cool:

hittin cunts is fun

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)